Set you mood here...

when does red tide happen? Thanks pep

socal-rich is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Incoming Wiki spam...

Causes of red tide

It is unclear what causes red tides; their occurrence in some locations appears to be entirely natural[1], while in others they appear to be a result of human activities[2] The frequency and severity of algal blooms in some parts of the world have been linked to increased nutrient loading from human activities. There are also concerns that iron fertilization may be causing these harmful algal blooms, which is a method of Geoengineering. In other areas, algal blooms are a seasonal occurrence resulting from coastal upwelling, a natural result of the movement of certain ocean currents[3]. The growth of marine phytoplankton is generally limited by the availability of nitrates and phosphates, which can be abundant in agricultural run-off as well as coastal upwelling zones. Coastal water pollution produced by humans and systematic increase in sea water temperature have also been implicated as contributing factors in red tides. Other factors such as iron-rich dust influx from large desert areas such as the Saharan desert are thought to play a major role in causing red tides[4]. Some algal blooms on the Pacific coast have also been linked to occurrences of large-scale climatic oscillations such as El Niņo events. While red tides in the Gulf of Mexico have been occurring since the time of early explorers such as Cabeza de Vaca[5]. It is unclear what initiates these blooms, and how large a role anthropogenic and natural factors play in their development. It is also debated whether the apparent increase in frequency and severity of algal blooms in various parts of the world is in fact a real increase or is due to increased observation effort and advances in species identification methods [6] [7].
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tide

sonnybihis is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

you guys think it's safe right now?

reefreak is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I'm going with yes. I just picked up 10 gallons an hour ago. I'm heating it up right now and doing a water change tonight. If anyone is heading over to get some and wants to stop by I bought an new hose hanger. I just keep forgeting to bring it down there. I'm 5 minutes of the last exit on 52 on th e way to scripps.

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Yea, I went over and picked up 50 gallons last night and noticed that the hose holder that I had put there was gone. It probably rusted out and fell off. At least that cool, black hose I hooked up months ago is still going strong. It beats the hell out of that piece of crap green one that used to be there.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

pnguy3n is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by reefreak
      I'm going with yes. I just picked up 10 gallons an hour ago. I'm heating it up right now and doing a water change tonight. If anyone is heading over to get some and wants to stop by I bought an new hose hanger. I just keep forgeting to bring it down there. I'm 5 minutes of the last exit on 52 on th e way to scripps.
      Thanks for the hanger. I was going to get a hose/hanger. I'll get it next time .

nahtanoj is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

it did rust off, i've been meaning to bring one over there. thanks for the hose and the hanger guys.

sdmasseuse is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Angry

I went to get water tonight and one of those lame water tankers was there hogging the free water I hate those guys can't the read the fing signs saying that if they need a large amount of water then call the fing number on the sign which was right in front of him.I told the guy what he was doing was totally not cool but he didn't give a **** about us pee ons that were there only to get about 50 gallons. Is there a number that you can call if I see one of the *******s filling up again to stop them from talking all the water?

SuperDragon is offline Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

SDMasseuse, (I was there with you tonight) I was upset myself. I need that number too. We won't get Scripps water for free if these guys keep doing this. Such a shame.

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

If I remember correctly, the Fallbrook truck has permission. I looked into it a long, long time ago.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMorris
      If I remember correctly, the Fallbrook truck has permission. I looked into it a long, long time ago.
      Ok thanks for letting us know I guess you've seen that tanker before and inquired about them. It still pisses me off because when they are filling up the flow from the normal hose sucks!

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDragon
      SDMasseuse, (I was there with you tonight) I was upset myself. I need that number too. We won't get Scripps water for free if these guys keep doing this. Such a shame.

Are you serious? I hope they don't cut us off. They need to make it where those tankers can get the water so easy. If I get the number for security I'll post it.

sandiegan is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

There should be a number posted around the area. It's an 858-534-???? number. Just give that a call and get the info that you can from the truck.

pk-sd is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

I had to wait behind one of our SDreefs sponsor while he filled up few hundred gallons. He did not show the courtesy of letting me and another reefer get few buckets of water. After he was done, did not apologize for keeping us waiting and took his sweet time before he gave us the hose.

JoeJ is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cocky

For what it's worth, here are my measurements after dosing 5 ml part 1 and 15 ml part 2 B-ionic (as suggested in this thread) to a 5 gallon bucket of Scripps which was brought to 1.025 SG with RO water and heated.
      1125 ppm Magnesium (ELOS)
      440 ppm Calcium (API)
      12 dKH Carbonate Hardness (API)
      I just recently purchased Seachem Reef Adv. Magnesium for boosting, so I'll update this post with the dosage. I know it's been posted before, but I think it's good to verify with different products that people may be using.
      UPDATE1: After adding 5 tsp Seachem Reef Adv. Mg (in hot water) to the prep above, the final is still measuring at 1125 ppm (ELOS).
      UPDATE2: After adding 5 tbs Seachem Reef Adv. Mg to another prep, the final Mg is 1275 ppm (ELOS).
      Last edited by JoeJ; 03-29-2008 at 06:46 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information