SanDiegoReefs is offline Owner/Administrator
      My status is: Busy Working on Stuff

I am:
      Amused

Exclamation Scripps Water : Google Map, Quality, Transport

NOAA La Jolla Laboratory
      8901 La Jolla Shores Dr. 92037
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by SDguy; 03-09-2024 at 04:02 PM.

lucubrator is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I posted this a while back, but now that it's a sticky, we won't get the 2 week cycle on scripps water:
      Filtration
      Doug of ucsd's physical plant services (the people you talk to for large volumes of water) told me a few things about the filtration.
      First off: The intake of the system is abouy 4' from the bottom at the end of the peir. From these: Topozone, SIO, and the navy, we're in 20-25 feet of water. This isn't the upwelling from the scripps/la jolla canyons we thought it was.
      As for the filtration: there is no UV. The intake has a large screen on it to keep animals out, and from there it goes to a settling tank. These tanks are next to the large sand filters you've all seen. There is a picnic table on top of them. There are two and they alternate between them every two weeks. When they switch over, the one that was previously used is drained, dried and cleaned. From there, it goes to the sand filters we all know and love. Following that it's pumped up the hill to a holding tank, where birch takes is from, and is gravity fed to us as well. The system is apparenlty cycled, so the water in the holding tanks is seldom older than an hour.
      He said that "we" (and I assumed that to mean the lobster guys and 3000g trucks as well) use 80,000 gallons per month. Nice that it's free, isn't it?

Does Birch use/test/filter the water?
      I talked to a girl named Angie doing maintance on the tanks, and got a chance to go past the "personel only, no entrance" door.

After a few minutes, I got the following information:
      Birch aquarium tests their aquariums weekly, but only their water. They do not test the water coming into the system. She said that the only thing that really hurts them is the red tide and other seasonal things like that.

They have an open system where the ocean water form the holding tanks that feeds our hose feeds the large tank and the cold water tanks. The warm water tanks are fed by a second series of holding tanks where they warm the water. The water they dump isn't treated, and it's just poured down the sewer. They have three protein skimmers, one on the sps and other coral tank, one on the cuttlefish tank, and one on the tank between them.

They have a third area with sea horses, and that's a closed system using kent salt.

So.. that's the end of that. In about two years [note: first posted 11/04] time the warm water setups will be changed to a closed system, at which point they'll put sumps on the tanks.

As with anything, caveat emptor applies.

Chemical Condition of Water
      For current conditions: http://surfrider.org/sandiego/b***_sd.asp Thanks for the deadlink fix, MrBill.

Recent Additions: http://www.earth911.org/waterquality....asp?cluster=1 Thanks Poacher!
      Also see: http://sdcoos.ucsd.edu/data/aqua_qual/index.cfm Just note the test dates. Thanks crstjohn!

Using Hagen, one month since last rain:
      pH=8.3
      Ammonia=0
      Nitrite=0
      Nitrate=0
      Salinity: 35ppt

From pk-sd's post:
      Scripps Water Alkalinity 3.0 meq/L (3.2 – 4.5 Required)

(seachem) ~8.4 dKH = 3 meq/L
      (Salifert) 2.6 meq/L=7.3 dKH

Scripps Water Calcium 350 ppM (400 – 450 ppm Required)
      (Salifert)

To fix with B-Ionic
      Component #1 - Carbonate Alkalinity: 2800 meq/liter (7840 dKH). 1 ml per gallon of aquarium water will raise alkalinity by 0.74 meq/liter (2.07 dKH).
      To raise it to 3.75 : Use 5ml per bucket of Scripps water.

Component #2 - Calcium Concentration: 54,000 ppm calcium ion. 1 ml per gallon of aquarium water will raise calcium concentration by 16ppm ).
      To raise it to 400: (3ml/gallon (48ppm) * 5) = 15ml per bucket of Scripps water.

LVReefer's Contribution:
      MAG: 1150

Pk's confirmation and solution:
      My tests are showing 1200 (same thing).
      Two teaspoons of Seachem's Magnesium to a 5 gallon bucket will bring the magnesium level to 1250 ppm.

How to transport the liquid gold.
      Advantages & Disadvantages

Sparklett's Jug
      Plus: Cheap, neck keeps water from splashing out
      Minus: Hard to carry more than one, caps prone to falling off, and they "glug" like bottles of motor oil, hard to clean,
      <pk-sd:> if water is stored in a lit place, algae may grow.
      Home Depot Buckets
      Plus: Easy to carry, easy to clean, can put a powerhead and heater in to oxygenate and bring up to temp before use, no need for secondary container, BRIGHT ORANGE! <pk-sd:> they also come in white, if you prefer. Stakable, non-translucence inhibits algae growth.
      Minus: Need rubber mallet to close, or they'll spill a bit.
      Wal-Mart AquaTainer
      Plus: Best container I've ever used, $7, smooth handle, large opening, spigot, air vent, stable.
      Minus: .... I don't know yet, jason?
      PM Chemical Jugs
      Plus: Large volume, sealed top, pretty cheap: 15g for $14, 30g for $23 <thanks limbo>.
      Minus: Need hose and optional pump to transfer from one drum to another.
      Brute Rubbermaid Trashcan
      Plus: Same as above, minus sealed top. $40 per can for 2 cans at Lowes <bigair>.
      Minus: Same as above, plus no sealed top.

Anything else to address?
      Last edited by lucubrator; 02-16-2007 at 11:35 PM.

pk-sd is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Couple of things I would like to add for Home Depot containers is that they also come in white color, if orange is too bright for your taste. Second, they are stackable, so on a small area, like a two bucket footprint, you can store 6 buckets, perfects for closets and outdoor storage units.

Minus: Its a good idea to take a rubber mallet with you to properly seal the buckets on your way home (especially the small hill leaving Scripps pier). Otherwise you might have some spillage in the car.

One thing I do not like about Sparklett's jugs is that they are clear. Unless they are stored in complete darkness, they will encourage algae growth.

BigAir is offline Registered User
      My status is: In pain

I am:
      Piratey

Brute Rubbermaid Trashcan
      Plus: Same as above, minus sealed top. Anyone want to say how much they paid?
      Minus: Same as above, plus no sealed top.

I paid almost $40 per can for 2 cans at Lowes.

ricestudios is offline Registered User
      My status is: watching the waves go by

I am:
      Awesome

water asfe to get?

pk-sd is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ricestudios
      water asfe to get?
      I would say yes. Plus its going to start raining again soon. Then you will have to wait another week.
      Current tanks
      1) 160g peninsula (48x30x26), Vertex illumina LED
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...tion-with-160g

2) 40g Nuvo Nano fusion.

My Feeedback:
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...-sd-s-Feedback

reef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

It was raining off and on yesterday and this morning. Nothing major, just light showers/sprinkles.

@rashguard.org

Scripps Beach
      in San Diego County, CA

Water Quality Warning!
      Due to likely polluted runoff in the surf zone.
      (last updated 3/08/2006 2:00 PM)
      Last edited by reef; 03-08-2006 at 02:45 PM.

phishphood is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Got some yesterday, no biggy. If you're super paranoid, then don't get it. All of my stuff is still living.

ramonareef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

wait time after the rain to get water?

BigAir is offline Registered User
      My status is: In pain

I am:
      Piratey

Some say no wait, others say wait a week or so. I personaly give it atleast 3 days.

jharr is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I know I have shot my mouth off in the past about doing Scripps water changes rain or shine and I actually do. I just went down and got water today in fact. However, while there today, I saw something I never had before. It looked to be near high tide, so that may have something to do with it, but I went over to the intake where the grate is, and there was about 8" of brown foam on top of the water coming into the sand filters.

Has anyone else seen this? I also noticed that the red slime is growing faster than usual in my 20L. Strange thing is that there is no sign of slime in my 10.

So I guess the bottom line for me is that I need to weigh the costs of changing with rainy Scripps water, or puting off the water change for a few more days.

I don't think there is really a danger of a full-on tank crash, but there does seem to be more nutrients in the water after a rainy week.

Just my $.02,
      J--
      Last edited by jharr; 05-18-2006 at 01:04 PM.

colindoug3 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Taking a break

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I am not getting the red slime, but a good dusting of red cyano right now. It's both on the glass and in the sand. Never seen the intake foaming. Have seem some seaweed and ocotpus parts in there though.

lucubrator is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I've been noticing red slime in a friend's tank recently as well, but I thought we got water before and well after the rains.
      On another note, one of those 3000g trucks was there the other day filling up, and they had turned the garden hose on full bore and had the hose in the drain.
      I picked it up and a few minutes later the guy left without saying anything. ***?
      So, I called the 858 534 number and asked if the tankers were allowed to fill up there. The guy was very interested to hear that there was a tanker, asked the company name, and the license plate. Seems they're serious about the high volume pressure hose being turned off.
      If you do see a truck down there, let them know as quickly as possible; it'll be because of those guys that the water gets turned off.

Live Water Aquariums is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I see tankers there a lot. Rain or shine. They supply lfs's, fry's San Marcos, LA Library and many other places. I think they still allow it because I know at least four companies that I see regularly. I've seen the foam build up a lot lately since the first rain. Been using it anyway without any problems. In tanks that have a little red slime or cyano the growth is steady- but many tanks with none are getting none. It's scary to use this water when surfing in it makes me sooo sick, however freshwater floats so we get the worst of it stuck in our head!

maus42 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by purplerock
      I see tankers there a lot. Rain or shine. They supply lfs's, fry's San Marcos, LA Library and many other places. I think they still allow it because I know at least four companies that I see regularly. I've seen the foam build up a lot lately since the first rain. Been using it anyway without any problems. In tanks that have a little red slime or cyano the growth is steady- but many tanks with none are getting none. It's scary to use this water when surfing in it makes me sooo sick, however freshwater floats so we get the worst of it stuck in our head!
      IIRC, certain large volume trucks are allowed to use the high pressure line with consent from Scripps. But most tankers that fill up are doing so illegally from my understanding, so always call and let them know about it. The last thing any of us wants is the filter to be shut off from public use becuase of a few asshats that won't play by the rules. It costs alot of money moving that much water, and it's free- so they have to limit the supply somehow.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information