Page 45 of 67 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Scripps Water : Google Map, Quality, Transport

ReefTradingCo-RN is offline Registered User
      My status is: switching from splitkooks

I am:
      Enraged

Lightbulb

I bring you, SDReefs, hard facts.....
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I called my old boss, aka La Jolla Shores' Sargent (3-SAM), he pointed me to: water.ca.gov/desalination/Laws/ -and- water.ca.gov/nav/nav.cfm?loc=t&id=105

Of note here are: SB 1319, Burton - 2004: The California Ocean Protection Act

(e) Provide for public access to the ocean and ocean resources, including to marine protected areas, for recreational use, andaesthetic, educational, and scientific purposes, consistent with the sustainable long-term conservation of those resources.

And since there is roughly 1.3 billion cubic kilometres (310 million cu mi) of NSW on the planet, we are safe under the 'consistent with the sustainable long-term conservation of those resource' clause.
      In addition:
      (d) "Sustainable" and "sustainability" mean both of the following:
      (1) Continuous replacement of resources, taking into accountfluctuations in abundance and environmental variability.
      (2) Securing the fullest possible range of present and long-termeconomic, social, and ecological benefits, while maintaining biological diversity.

Further, here's a list of the better places, all being launch ramps for ease of access, and water retrieval... Its a custom Google Map with the less used locations...
      http://g.co/maps/ss5qx

When utilizing NSW from any of these resources, always check http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/deh/water/pdf/BBcurrent.pdf or call (619) 338-2073 to listen to the current beach & bay status closures.
      This is a link for the testing locations: http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/deh/water/docs/bb_recwater_web.pdf

A
      nd here is the money shot, the semi-live quality report map:
      http://sdwatersheds.org/wiki/Beach_Monitoring and for the more advanced of us: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...0&source=embed
      Last edited by ReefTradingCo-RN; 04-20-2012 at 10:36 AM.

inurmind is offline Registered User
      My status is: playing w/matches &
      putting out fires

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Oh snap Max!!!

Moii-F is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

So I'm thinking about starting a tank an I heard scripps is down ??

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Thanks to Max, and his research on finding the legalities...

I've got a place (after thorough searching for a good location of good off-shore flow, of non-polluted or no bay or interior based water) to try and scoop out some NSW on Monday or Tuesday. Depending on my schedule of coarse.

... if it works out. I'll get extra (about 120gallons) and give it away once I use what I need.

wizzbane is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

if it does could we get the location of the place?

I am:
      Enraged

It's pretty easy to figure out, i posted Bay locations, but from what Johnny mentioned, there's maybe 5 places like that (tops)...

A simple GoogleE expedition can find em.

Just do some ground work: look up close-shore current patterns, pacific ocean current patterns, sewer/streetside drainpipe locations, surf report, and it wouldnt hurt to research the last red tide info (date, time, duration). And i suppose if your at it, and worried about Fukashima (sp?) fallout water particles, check that too.

I am:
      Enraged

Oh fyi Johnny, get all ya water prior to the 26th, good combo swell on its way so watch the water quality from silt and crap up-welling.

Name:  uq8Y6.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  58.9 KB

SoCalBoo is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

If anyone is interested in why the water is off - the intake pipe off the end of the pier was about 12 feet above the sand. there was a recent tidal change that brought the sand level up above the intake. A bunch of sand clogged the intake, which burned out the motor. I also heard that there are two motors, each costing $50,000. Didn't hear that both are toast - only one. The engineer said the earliest it would be back up and running was this Wed, but not likely.

Bogg is offline Registered User
      My status is: Addicted

I am:
      Piratey

Ive seen one of those pumps and its HUGE!

swissfish is offline Premium Member
      My status is: WuFlu fighting!

I am:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBoo View Post
      If anyone is interested in why the water is off - the intake pipe off the end of the pier was about 12 feet above the sand. there was a recent tidal change that brought the sand level up above the intake. A bunch of sand clogged the intake, which burned out the motor. I also heard that there are two motors, each costing $50,000. Didn't hear that both are toast - only one. The engineer said the earliest it would be back up and running was this Wed, but not likely.
      Unlikely that this would burn the motor up. If so they would be rewound in a week and a half. I don't know what pumps they are using but if sand got into them, then this shut down could be going on for a while.
      Emancipate yourself from mental slavery,
      No one but ourselves can free our minds.
      Bob Marley

My Tank: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10341

naso tang is offline Registered User
      My status is: clueless

I am:
      Piratey

Bummer. isn't somebody supposed to keep their eye on conditions like that? I guess this dispells the myth that the intake pipe is WAY out there, thanks for sharing. maybe they need to put an el and and incline on that thing...

also, how ironic the sand filter starts filtering sand. Ha!

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by ReefTradingCo View Post
      Oh fyi Johnny, get all ya water prior to the 26th, good combo swell on its way so watch the water quality from silt and crap up-welling. ..........
      Going tomorrow.

Makes sense... probably starved the motor for water/lubrication/cooling leading to the "burn up".

rman is offline Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I heard they sucked up a giant squid and they are nursing it back to health

Sent from my pager

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by ReefTradingCo View Post
      Oh fyi Johnny, get all ya water prior to the 26th.......
      DONE... (Myself and MadJamey) got 460 gallons today!!
      All ya need is a long hose, extension cord, high-flow pump, generator, and vehicle to haul it in. Easy Peasy!!!

... my 135 holding tank is now flowing water!! And I have a 60gal spare of NSW.

BTW, it was tested... and was just about perfect. We also pumped it through a brand new filter sock... and the sock still looks brand new. Amazingly clear water today... or, from where we pulled it anyway!

Here's the sock after 400 gallons (click on any picture to make it larger);

MADJAMEY hard at work, while the water's pumpin' and the genny runnin'

We also saw Fish and Game (in a rubber boat, chasin' down boaters - not sure why), Lifeguards, and City Workers (Waste Water).... none of them paid any attention to us. And we're not on the 5 O'Clock news!!

Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 04-24-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Madjamey is offline Member
      My status is: R.I.P Larry M.

I am:
      Piratey

Those were the best chips I've ever had !

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information