• + Reply to Thread

Thread: Termite Fumigation Vikrane Help

ChouDawg is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

Termite Fumigation Vikrane Help

Hi all, so my complex is slated to be tented and fumigated in mid June

I've been doing a bunch of research and it seems like the best method is to tarp the whole tank, turn off lights and leave everything else running (possibly with the return pump off) and run the skimmer air intake to the outside world. This will draw in fresh air to the tank expanding the bubble which will have a small hole/slit to allow the fresh air to push outwards keeping the pesticides out.

I wanted to see if anyone else had first hand experience with this process and what did/didn't work? Also what did you guys do with all the various chemicals, test kits, additives etc should they be bagged or removed also?

Thanks!

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

I would not run skimmer, just a PH or two, and wrap tank, tape it sealed off, seal off sump same way, turn off lights.
      It will all be fine.
      You will also want to be there, many companies see any animals as a liability, and many times techs will be asked to pull your tank or animals, and simply set them outside in a bucket, so you are going to need to make sure that does not happen.
      I worked for termite companies for years, seen and heard of this happening many times.
      Last edited by davocean; 04-26-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

Thanks Dave for the input and feedback, after some careful consideration I've decided to drain as much water as I can into a trash can/barrel and throw all my rock without coral on it into there and have a separate Rubbermaid tub for my rock with coral, fish, snails etc and move it to my friend's house nearby that won't be fumigated the same week as mine. I will then wrap up the main/sump which will be as dry as possible and return everything after about 50 hours with a large amount of fresh mixed saltwater to cover any die off / dilute any lingering pesticides.

I am:
      Amused

That probably really is the safest bet,while I have done what I said and dealt w/ it before myself, I have had weird stories, and I did go to do repairs on a house once after a fume where I saw fish outside in 5g buckets, dead of course, due to a miscomunication.
      Tent crews are weirdo's, I think there is a lot of prison work release programs involved, and while they are responsible if the gas kills your fish, they are not in removing them"from harmful gas fume".
      Last time I worked for a termite crew doing repairs, the fume crews(which are always sub'd) standard rule was to remove all living things.
      Good luck to you.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

Prison work release programs..and I'm supposed to give these people free reign to my property!? They want keys to my home/garage, I'm not sure this is 100% necesary. Is this just so they can confirm no food items, people or pets are inside before they release the gas or is there a legitimate reason for needing to enter my home? Since Vikrane is a gas and is touted to seep into all wood structures and cracks shouldn't simply leaving my screen gate closed and my front door cracked or windows open be enough to allow the poison in. I'm a bit hesitant to say the least to give someone my keys and not be around for 50 hours, seems like a great way to get robbed.

I am:
      Amused

Usually only the guy that owns the company or someone responsible will enter, the other dudes will be on the roof pulling tarps.
      I don't think you'll have a "breaking bad" scenario or anything!lol
      (still might want to take and or hide valuables)

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

Oh okay, that's a bit better...I have a long list of "non-standard" items that I need to ask them if I need to bag them or not. Would you happen to know why they need to enter? From my understanding the gas is pumped into the enclosed tent, its not like they're spraying for ants manually.

I am:
      Amused

They will be placing fans inside to move gas around and also checking to make sure no animals or plants or unsealed food, pilot lights, things like that.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

Oh okay, bah I guess I'll have to let them in then...thanks for the info

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information