• Tired

Thread: Fresh water Dipping your fish!

Threaded View

poakley723 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Fresh water Dipping your fish!

First off I want to say that I am in no way a chemist, fish doctor or anything of the sort. I am a hobbyist just like most everyone on the forums here.

I have done a lot of internet research of the last week to perform fresh water dips on a sick clown fish. I believe my clown fish to have BROOKLYNELLA. I found many questions in my search and would like tell my findings.

My clown fish is being kept in a 5 gallon hospital tank with PVC pipes for hiding in. Filtration incudes a whisper 10i filter with Live rock and is being aerated with a small air pump attached to a bubble bar about six inches long.

Equipment needed:
      PH test kit
      ALK supplement
      RODI Water
      large Glass Bowl
      Thermometer
      air pump

Step by Step:

1. Fill a bowl with 6 cups of RODI water.

2. Microwave the water to increase the temperature to match the saltwater aquarium.
      In my 1.7 kw microwave it was approx. 15 seconds per 2 degrees of increase.

3. To match the PH using I used my DIY Randy's 2 part ALK supplement. VERY LITTLE IS NEEDED. I add one drop to increase the PH .4 degree's so it took a total of approximately 2 drops to increase the PH to match my saltwater PH test of 8.3.

4. Aerate the water for a few minutes and test the PH again to insure proper PH.

5. Gently place your sick fish into the fresh water. We have found using our hand is the easiest. Be sure your hands are free of oils dirt and soap.

6. Set a timer for five minutes while you observer your fish. Some fish may not be able to handle five minutes. may notice a few changes in you demeanor of your fish depending on its health. The first dip our clown did not swim much and continued to have heavy respiration. The second and third dip our clown was a more active, swimming around the bowl but still displayed heavy respiration.

7. After five minutes gently return your fish to the original aquarium. We have noticed our fish to be disoriented for about thirty seconds with his tail kind of floating up.

8. We have done fresh water dips on day 1, 2, 4 and plan to do the dip on days 6, 8, and 11.

9. We have noticed daily increases in our clown fish's health and decreased signs of White slim and white parasites.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THESE ARE ONLY MY FINDINGS AND ARE NOT IN ANYWAY SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN FACTS. THEY ARE ONLY MY FINDINGS AND WHAT I SEE TO BE SUCSESSFULL TREATMENT.

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.
      Last edited by poakley723; 04-24-2014 at 06:38 AM.

Thread Information