• Hungry
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Pesky (but attractive) fish: To keep, or not to keep, that is the question

AndrewAbo is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Pesky (but attractive) fish: To keep, or not to keep, that is the question

I have had my share of fish over the years, and have learned that things that aren't supposed to go well in your tank according to reference guides are often the best additions. Likewise, things that aren't supposed to cause problems often do.

My current conundrum is with a koran angelfish. This is my second one; my first used to pick at my blue spotted ray (which was about a thousand times larger than him, go figure). Now this one seems to be picking at my zoas.

Personally, I think a koran angelfish is one of the most attractive fish a hobbyist can buy, so I think he may be worth an effort.

My question is, is this "fixable"? Can a change in feeding, or a few swats with a stick change a fish's behavior?

This is not the first (nor will it be the last, I'm sure) fish that I've tried, and had to sell. But is there an alternative? Can something as simple-minded as a fish's habits be curtailed?

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks in advance.

CMD2213 is offline Registered User
      My status is: Downgrade to upgrade

I am:
      Tired

I personally do not know from experience i just know many members who have had a nipper of corals gets the flavor for it and accustomed to it, so they usually do no re-introduce the fish back to the dt. I would try message board when some people are on if no one replies or ask a few board members if they know or can refer you to someone who would.

-Mike

Octoman4 is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Crazy

In my experience, if a fish eats coral, its going to eat coral, especially angle fish. I've never heard of training a fish to not nip at food(coral). maybe if you keep it well fed through out the day it would minimize the coral nipping, but for the most part I don't see stopping it. This is only IMO and I'm sure there are more people on here with more experiences with these fish. SDguy (Peter) and spevjeff (jeff) are good people to contact about stuff like that
      Last edited by Octoman4; 02-17-2014 at 05:32 PM.
      120 gallon. I throw money at it, and it grows colorful sticks.

apax is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

i have an angel/trigger/butterfly tank: (XL annularis angel, XL maculosus angel , imperator angel, queen angel, french angel, rock beauty, bluespotted angel, humu humu trigger, clown trigger, niger trigger, pakistan butterfly, foxface)... i'm starting to add a few coral in my tank..... so far... my angels doesn't bother the softies... but will eat the zoas, LPS and some mushroom).... i'm going to see about SPS soon.... remember angels are glazers.... they'll nip on anything the sways on the rock...
      Last edited by apax; 02-17-2014 at 04:54 PM.

d-man is offline Registered User
      My status is: Just snorkeling in my tank

I am:
      Amused

I have 3 angels in my tank.
      A goldflake....eats only new acans and any brain i put in. He leaves all sps, fungia, zoas and existing acans alone
      A regal. Touches nothing.
      A venustus( supposed to be the most reef safe of centropyge) decimated a birds nest colony and is currently working on my large ponape colony and a rainbow stylophora.
      I don't really mind it too much, as long as he sticks to those. It seems like his taste lies with the steriaphora and stylophora, which I won't add more. If he touches my acros and millis, he's gone!

Most of the large pomacantus angels are coral eaters for sure. So it's up to you. But good luck.
      I want to try a blueline or if I come across one, a juv bandit angel.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information