• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting sick from tank

mgempyre is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Getting sick from tank

So yesterday I was moving and when I moved my 55 gallon tank and set it up in my new place my gf and I got serious allergies we couldnt stop sneezing, then it went to coughing and now were seriously congested. When I was setting everything up there was a tiny hole in my hose for my fluval filter so it spilled onto the floor, I quickly cleaned it up but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this. Not a fun experience whatsoever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Octoman4 is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Crazy

Did you boil any rock or do anYthing else to live stock? maybe there was mold you were breathing in when you move your tank. ..
      120 gallon. I throw money at it, and it grows colorful sticks.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Didnt boil anything and no everything was the normal stuff I usually do when I clean out my tank.

50 cube is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Amused

Sounds like something airborne. I doubt that it was caused by something in the water you cleaned up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

We have been in my new place for 3 days and as soon as I brought my tank from my old place and started setting it up we both got serious allergies that we had to leave the house and now were both sick.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

This is the only thing I found online about someone that got the same thing as us.

naso tang is offline Registered User
      My status is: clueless

I am:
      Piratey

Getting sick from tank

Got any palys in the tank? Sounds like palytoxin exposure.

Check out the symptoms, this has happened to me a couple times with varying degrees of the symptoms.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog...-wife-and-dogs

I recall one time I got the chills and fever part I was just doing some reaquascaping....
      Last edited by naso tang; 01-02-2014 at 07:58 AM.

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

When you consider everything that is in, on, and around our tanks, is not surprising that we sometimes get exposed to something. What that is specifically, I don't know. My guess would be plays as well.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

Jhuneke is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

Honestly.. I did a tank transfer about a month ago.. and for the entire 3-4 days of messing with it, I had massive sneeze attacks, and very itchy face and nose. I didn't equate it to my tank since I didn't frag anything.. but now I wonder... Not sure what would have caused it though.. but I have no allergies that cause me any issues with breathing etc. Maybe it is the airborne junk from the sand and rock being exposed to air and agitated when filling the tank? IDK.. but following along.

bladedrummer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Airborne toxins from algae? Palytoxins don't just come from palys apparently.

"A new type of palytoxin, ovatoxin-a, produced as a marine aerosol by the tropical microalga, the dinoflagellate Ostreopsis ovata caused hundreds of people in Genoa, Italy, to fall ill. In 2005 and 2006 enormous blooms of these algae occurred in the Mediterranean sea. All those affected needed medical attention. Symptoms were high fever, coughs and wheezes."

I also think I got sick from my tank once, I was messing with my first palys/zoas and I handled them a bit too much with my hands and put my face too close to them. BUT, it could have been a coincidence too. I'm not sure. Palytoxin poisoning seems to be a very serious thing.

SteveParkinson is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I got pretty sick on my rebuild last month too. When I took down the tank I was sneezing violently and non stop, followed by runny nose and congestion. Thought I was just getting a cold too or it was something in the "rock wall" I removed from my tank since I had never had it happen to me before. Got a bit sick putting the tank back together too, not as bad but the rock wall was gone. Not sure either, maybe it was something in the saved water I was reusing. Following along also.....

Steve

naso tang is offline Registered User
      My status is: clueless

I am:
      Piratey

The lethal paly poisoning is usually IV route by a dose to a cut. Touching palys and then touching your eyes causes pretty significant inflammatory response and sometimes corneal damage. Ingestion is apparently not too bad. The inhalation route sucks, but I'm not sure I understand how the toxin gets Aerosolized just by moving rocks around. In my most extreme case (wheezing, sneezing, fever chills and cardiac arrhythmia followed by a week of chest congestion) I ground up some killed palys I picked off the rock work in the garbage disposal. Not good, my wife got symptoms just by walking by the sink...

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

THAT'S RIGHT STEVE! You did tell me you thought you were getting the flu, now I remember that! weird stuff...
      Quote Originally Posted by SteveParkinson View Post
      I got pretty sick on my rebuild last month too. When I took down the tank I was sneezing violently and non stop, followed by runny nose and congestion. Thought I was just getting a cold too or it was something in the "rock wall" I removed from my tank since I had never had it happen to me before. Got a bit sick putting the tank back together too, not as bad but the rock wall was gone. Not sure either, maybe it was something in the saved water I was reusing. Following along also.....

Steve

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

OMG.. the garbage disposal?! hope you got rid of all those death palys!..or is that gonna come with the new scaping? have an EMT standing by ..
      Quote Originally Posted by naso tang View Post
      The lethal paly poisoning is usually IV route by a dose to a cut. Touching palys and then touching your eyes causes pretty significant inflammatory response and sometimes corneal damage. Ingestion is apparently not too bad. The inhalation route sucks, but I'm not sure I understand how the toxin gets Aerosolized just by moving rocks around. In my most extreme case (wheezing, sneezing, fever chills and cardiac arrhythmia followed by a week of chest congestion) I ground up some killed palys I picked off the rock work in the garbage disposal. Not good, my wife got symptoms just by walking by the sink...

SteveParkinson is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I did have some palys that were both attached to live rock and the rock wall which were separated when I removed the rocks. It was all done underwater though, and I didn't think I disturbed them that much..... I guess a tear in them could have done it though!

Never had issues before though!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information