• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: A great source for cabinet doors

davocean is online now Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

A great source for cabinet doors

I'm a general contractor that specializes in finish work and cabinetry, and I keep telling people doing DIY stands/cabinets about this place that I think gives the best deals around on doors.
      Mill yards like this usually are where even many custom cabinet shops get their doors just because the price is so cheap, it's really about the same as what material costs me for STAIN GRADE material.
      I just happen to like this place, it's a cool older lady that runs it, and they give by far the best price I've found, and excellent quality.
      If you're building your own stand, you might want to check this place, Doors Unlimited in San Marcos.
      Raised panel doors like this are very time consuming to build on your own.
      I just did this bookshelf/window seat, and I got all 9 doors for $210 total, done in stain grade birch.
      If you want to do a nice DIY and save some time and money I strongly recommend this route.

unbereefable is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

What's the dims on those doors? San Marcos is a far drive for from Chula Vista . Trying to figure out what it would run for doors for my new setup. I'm assuming they charge by sq ft? So these are just called "raised panel door"? No funny name like the "contemporary"?

Aaron is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Pm'd for some cabinetry work!

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by unbereefable View Post
      What's the dims on those doors? San Marcos is a far drive for from Chula Vista . Trying to figure out what it would run for doors for my new setup. I'm assuming they charge by sq ft? So these are just called "raised panel door"? No funny name like the "contemporary"?
      She has a sq ft price yes, and it may vary w/ design, and there are plenty to choose from.
      I can't recall the name of these, think I have her booklet, I'll look, and maybe even mail that to you if you wish, i know you and I have chatted woodwork on these sites over the years and you've been turning out some cool stuff too.
      I'll touch base w/ you in Pm, check notes for the size of these.

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
      Pm'd for some cabinetry work!
      Replied, and just to keep cool w/ site I'm trying to just promote good people to other good reef peeps here to help w/ their projects more than pushing my wares.
      Nice doors can make the average back yard DIY worker look hero, and I like to see what folks on here can do, help some folks save a buck.

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Do you typically just order the doors to your dimensions or is it better to cut the opening to some sort of standard size?
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

I am:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMorris View Post
      Do you typically just order the doors to your dimensions or is it better to cut the opening to some sort of standard size?
      Cut your opening to whatever works for you.
      I'm all about symetry, so for instance on the pic I posted the trick of being a good carpeneter was making all those openings exactly the same w/ what wall dimensions I had so all the doors would be same size, and I like equal reveals as well.
      That balance is what most finish guys look at or shoot for.
      Typically most common doors on a face frame cabinet are 1/2" overlay, meaning they cover 1/2" of face frame, so it makes easy to order doors that way, just take opening size, add an inch(1/2 on each side-one inch total)
      So a 20x24 opening is a 21x25 door.
      Of course you have to make sure to get 1/2 overlay hinges to match, but again, most common.
      Across from this place is timberline moulding, they have soft close hinges that are much like BLUM hinges that are much cheaper than blums.
      The soft close hinges are really cool, just push door and it closes on it's own, doesn't slam, and they aren't expensive.
      These both help make a modest cabinet look really cool, and keep budget down.
      I don't think I could have got hard stock birch for $200, heck even the two sheets of ply if you did go cheap route would be $100
      Money well spent IMO if you want to have a furniture quality cabinet.
      Last edited by davocean; 12-17-2013 at 10:33 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information