• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Local reefer New to the forum (Ramona)

Drama D is offline Registered User
      My status is: Uncertain

I am:
      Piratey

Local reefer New to the forum (Ramona)

What's up sd reefs!, new to the forum. I'm located in north county. Currently I am running a bq29 hqi mixed reef. This is my second sw tank. My last tank was a 60 gal mixed reef and was up and running for Aprox 7 years. I moved and had to part it out . I was out of the hobby for about 5 years and then decided I wanted to run another tank. Because of all the advancements in the nano world, I decided on the bq29 to help w/ the expense of starting it all up. Well I have already tripled if not quadrupled my spending cap. Lol. I'm sure many of us have.
      I have joined nano reefs forum about a week before my initial set up. I spent most of my time off work browsing there forum, reading up on all the new advancements and any and everything possible. So much has changed since owning my last tank equipment wise but the basics are basically the same with a few exceptions like dsb, bb's. it's a whole new world IMO for the nano's. I remember anything less than 55 gal was not recommended when I first started. Now their are pico tanks, nano tanks etc that many enthusiast are running successfully. It's awesome IMO. Since being from San Diego, I figured I'd join a local forum to learn and share info, opinions, likes and dislikes, help others local to me, and meet local reefers. Glad I found this forum and thanks for having me.
      So my tank; biocube29 hqi (mixed reef)
      Tank has been running for 2 months now, I had a 3 week cycle. Started with 30# premium live rock, 30# ultra white live sand. Using Red Sea coral pro salt mixed @ 1.025 @79*f. Tank temp was up and down while cycling, I have been able to maintain it with in 1 degree for the last month. It took me switching a few things around equipment wise and lighting schedule.
      I started w/ upgrading the return pump to a Colbalt mj1200, I cut the tab between chambers 1&2 for more flow and to accommodate my intank media basket. I'm running cpe and purigen w/ filter floss in the media basket. I removed the sponge between chambers 2&3 to prevent waste build up and having possible nitrate spike. I ran my lighting during my cycle to reduce die off on lr. Ran for 7 hrs a day and ran in the evening to help w/ tank temps since the end of summer was fairly warm and the stock lighting is hqi bulb. It gets rather warm. Lighting ran from 3pm -10pm. I was running two hydor 425's for flow but have since swapped them out for an mp10 to reduce tank temp even further. It has reduced my tank temp by 2 degrees having the motor outside the tank. Great upgrade and awesome piece of equipment IMO. To help with my tanks temp issues even further, I contacted Dave Fason at nano box and purchased a new full spectrum 4ch led set up. Took two months to build but is now finished and in the process of being shipped..... To be continued....., battery is about to die......
      Last edited by Drama D; 02-21-2014 at 09:58 PM.

scubasteve is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Chillin and helpful

I am:
      Cool

Welcome!

I am:
      Piratey

Upgraded my phone, forgot my password, after a long attempt to recover my account, I have succeeded.
      So,! Nanobox duo arrived w/ storm controller. It is now hanging over my bc29 and I set up a New 4gal microreefs tank and have a nanobox tide w/ storm controller over this one and is currently cycling. I also ditched the water store fill ups and got me a new spetrapure 90gpd maxcap ro/di set up all hooked up and making some good water.
      Other updates, I quit dosing zeovits on my bc29 and have switched to strictly water changes and skimming. Pick up the rare at the moment gnome skimmer for my 4gal by luck and have yet to set it up. Im waiting till I get a load in the tank. Lol, gross.
      Give me a minute and ill see if I can post some pics. Also one other thing,
      Im looking for others reef friendly shops in sd. Im specifically interested in the north county area. Im rarely up in that area and would like to see some new stores live stock. I have been to aquaticware house, aquasd, fontains, vets pets, various tiny shops, kahoots and petco's and petsmarts. Looking to visit a new shop..anyone share any spots with me? Tanks fellas!

SmilinAvnger is offline Registered User
      My status is: Waiting for 5PM

I am:
      Friendly

How about some pics of the tank and equipment? Sounds great though! Tanks for sharing.

I am:
      Piratey

Loading photos now. Photobucket is so slow

seareef is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Sleeping... ZZZZZZ

I am:
      Cool

Welcome to SDR!
      BFT2000 Build

I am:
      Piratey

Newly set up microreefs4.2 aio

Spectrapure90gpd

Dendro in my bc29

Bc29 a few months old

New nanobox duo after hanging

My pigmy tanakas wrasse, red turf algae has been removed

My fire fish, this shot is from the beginning

ill upload more recent shots after I figure out this camera, the spectrum on my lught throws everything off color balance wise in photos. Few pics to share for now. Open to comments. I have equip pics I need to get as well. Im running intank media basket/fuge baskets, need to take oics of my gnome skimmercause everyones always is interested in pico skimmers, close ups of leds in my new lights

I am:
      Piratey

Thank you I'm happy to be apart of the Local forum

SmilinAvnger is offline Registered User
      My status is: Waiting for 5PM

I am:
      Friendly

Very nice! Thanks again for sharing!

bbandu is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      My status is: .

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Welcome to the forum.
      Its all about MTS
      Larry

150g, 60 gal sump, G3 Protein Skimmer, 2 Koralia Evo 1400's,2 Koralia Evo 750's, 20g ATO, 3 - 120w LarryM Led's configured 35 - 16000K, 28 - 14000K, 28 453nm blue and 28, 468nm blue.
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75141

60g cube, 20g sump, Bubble Magus curve 5 skimmer with 2 mp10's and 120w led.
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...00-60g-upgrade

I am:
      Piratey

^^^^Thanks for having me. I just got back from aqua sd, man they had some nice gold torches right now.

bbandu is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      My status is: .

I am:
      Set you mood here...

AquaSD always has a nice selection of corals
      Its all about MTS
      Larry

150g, 60 gal sump, G3 Protein Skimmer, 2 Koralia Evo 1400's,2 Koralia Evo 750's, 20g ATO, 3 - 120w LarryM Led's configured 35 - 16000K, 28 - 14000K, 28 453nm blue and 28, 468nm blue.
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75141

60g cube, 20g sump, Bubble Magus curve 5 skimmer with 2 mp10's and 120w led.
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...00-60g-upgrade

I am:
      Piratey

More pics from this evenings fun

Gnome skimmer out of the box

New hydor pico powerhead

Some wire management

All tidied up, please disregard my night stand, it is just over 100 years old

Enjoy

goody is offline Premium Member
      My status is: Upgrading to 150g soon!

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Welcome to sdreefs. I'm not sure if anybody has told you yet, but Aquatica and Shipwreck Cove have nice selections on livestock, but not large dry goods in store, but can order for you. Have you started a build thread in members tank forum?
      150g glass w/ corner overflow , 60g sump w/refugium, Eheim 1262 return, SRO 2000int skimmer, ATI Dimmable Sunpower 8x54w fixture, 2 Tunze 6105 and 2 tunze 6025 modded.

I am:
      Piratey

Thanks for naming a few lfs, where is shipwreck cove located?
      Im still new to the forum so ive been browsing all around checking everything out. I need to update my profile and create a few Build threads.
      Im currently thinking about picking up a new cadlights mini 34g w/ all the bells and whistles for my living room. I have a bc29 on one side of my tv and my wife wants to balance it out with a tank on the other. Maybe fowlr only for this one or swap all my corals from the bc29 to it and turn the bc29 into a fowlr system. Id like to go big but the intial expense to get it all started up would quadruple the cost of a smaller system.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information