• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice

Limbo is offline Registered User
      My status is: Back in the game

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Question Advice

Thought I would throw this out to the group to seek some input.

I purchased a used 250 watt MH ballast (old style) from someone on RC back on 4/20. The seller informed me that it had just been tuned by Icecap, and was working perfectly.

Didn't have my tank ready for the lights until about 5/10. After installing the ballast, the bulb I was using (Hamilton 14K) was slightly flickering, and the support from Icecap told me that it might run the Ushio bulbs better. (The older style Icecaps were much more sensitive to the bulbs used apparently).

After running the new bulb, the ballast started blowing fuses. I contacted Icecap, and since the ballast is out of warranty, they wanted to charge $65 to repair it. ....Ugh...... At this point I was a little bummed that I had purchased this used one, and broke down and bought a new Icecap ballast (works flawlessly....even with my 14Ks)

ANYWAY,... Now to my problem. I am trying to ask the seller for my money back since the ballast has given me nothing but headaches since I installed it. He is not happy about that. He states that it has been a month (even though I didn't install it until 5/10) and that it worked fine for him.

Just need some advice on what you would do if you were in my boat. Thanks,...and sorry for the rambling.

Jim

Mike N is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Piratey

I'd

Did he say it was guaranteed or such in the ad?

I'd attempt to obtain your money back, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If he's willing to refund your money go for it.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, sucks getting ripped off

brahm is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Yea have to agree with mike on this one, you basically at his mercy. but I don't see it happening.. Gotta figure the following

1. He sold you a bad part on purpose, anybody who would do that proboly won't care wether your happy or not..

2. It got damaged during shipping, not really his fautl, and now he proboly doesn't want to eat it..

3. Something happend to it while you were holding it..same as above.

4. (the rare one) It got damaged between the time he last used it and shipped it to you and wasn't aware it was broken thus maybe he will feel bad and hook you up.

Limbo is offline Registered User
      My status is: Back in the game

I am:
      Set you mood here...

That is kind of what I was afraid of. Well hopefully it can go as a $90 lesson to others......

....hindsight being 20/20, I wish I would have researched the ballasts a little more, since I ended up getting the BRAND new one from Custom Acquatics for $112.

#@$^@#^!#$%#$@#$%^!#

J

sdboogie is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I think a lesson here is to test things as soon as they are bought. I'm sure the seller would have less of a problem if it was taken care of immediately. But I hear you, I buy stuff that I don't use right away, like the 2x96 PC retro from ahsupply.com I just got. I should problably light everything up just to be sure.

brahm is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

yea thats the big draw back to buying used gear, let alone over the internet,, I got a wacked out Duel Plate Nitrous system a couple years back.. eh...at least the bottles were good.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information