• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: APEX and ATO

jonesreef is offline Registered User
      My status is: Cycling 240

I am:
      Awesome

APEX and ATO

Will the APEX handle ATO, or do I need to get the TUNZE 3155 as well?

baldbean is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Short answer: Yes

Long answer:
      I use an Apex and a BRS 50 mL/min pump as my ATO. I have it programmed to turn on every 15 minutes for 15 seconds. I have also seen setups on line that use a breakout box and float switches.

I am:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by baldbean View Post
      Short answer: Yes

Long answer:
      I use an Apex and a BRS 50 mL/min pump as my ATO. I have it programmed to turn on every 15 minutes for 15 seconds. I have also seen setups on line that use a breakout box and float switches.
      You have a float so it does not overfill? Or have you just timed out everything and know your evaporation rate?

RussM is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I am definitely not keen on the idea of basing ATO solely on time.... evaporation rates vary, and there are no failsafes.

With an Apex, my preferred setup used a BoB (breakout box) and 3 float switches.

The lowest switch is mounted near the bottom of the ATO reservoir, serving as a ATO empty indicator, which is used to a) prevent the ATO pump from running, and b) send an email alert.
      The middle switch is mounted in the sump and is positioned at the desired water level. It is the primary control for ATO.
      The high switch is positioned a bit higher than the middle switch, and serves as a high-level sensor in case the primary switch gets stuck, or the sump level gets too high for any other reason. It triggered, it shuts off the ATO and sends and email.

Alternately (but at slightly reduced functionality), the two sump switches can be wired in series so that both must be closed to activate the ATO pump outlet.

If you go with an Apex-controlled ATO setup, I can help with optimal programming if needed.

I am:
      Awesome

Thanks Russ
      Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
      I am definitely not keen on the idea of basing ATO solely on time.... evaporation rates vary, and there are no failsafes.

With an Apex, my preferred setup used a BoB (breakout box) and 3 float switches.

The lowest switch is mounted near the bottom of the ATO reservoir, serving as a ATO empty indicator, which is used to a) prevent the ATO pump from running, and b) send an email alert.
      The middle switch is mounted in the sump and is positioned at the desired water level. It is the primary control for ATO.
      The high switch is positioned a bit higher than the middle switch, and serves as a high-level sensor in case the primary switch gets stuck, or the sump level gets too high for any other reason. It triggered, it shuts off the ATO and sends and email.

Alternately (but at slightly reduced functionality), the two sump switches can be wired in series so that both must be closed to activate the ATO pump outlet.

If you go with an Apex-controlled ATO setup, I can help with optimal programming if needed.

bpaston is offline Premium Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

You can also pick up a pressure switch that will hook up to the APEX via an I/O port, no breakout box needed. Has worked pretty well for me and there are no parts exposed to the salt water so, less worry about a float switch sticking or possibly failing on the rare chance it could.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information