• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: My 300g to 120g Upgrade

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Today my Aquacave order is scheduled to arrive. I'm waiting for my sump to get built and still haven't decided on a skimmer. I am leaning more towards the CADLights TIA1220. It is about $100 cheaper than the Vertex and I have read mostly good reviews on it. The reviews on both the TIA1220 and the Omega 150 are very similar, so it makes it tough to justify the extra $$. We'll see how it goes. I have time before I need to decide. I need to get finished with my stand. I'm putting a back on it and will be building an area to hold the electronics and keep them away from the wet side. Once the tank is put in place, I will start on a skin for the stand. That will be the last part of the build.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

I am:
      Tired

I came home today to a nice, big box from Aquacave. A Hydra Aquatics bio pellet reactor, Vertex Bio Pellets, A Diablo 5500 return pump and a 1.5" gate valve for my siphon line in my soon to be built Bean Animal drain. Now all I need is a sump, which I believe is being built as I write this, a skimmer, which is most likely going to be a CADLights TIA1220 and a bunch of plumbing. Once I get those pieces I will be able to get much closer to filling my tank up with water. Eventually I will be utilizing two MP40 powerheads for circulation. I also need to build my hood. I will be using my Stevesleds.com LED fixtures along with a two bulb T-5 setup and maybe two 150w halides. I haven't decided on the halides yet. I want to see what the LED coverage looks like first.

Now if I could only get some time off to get some of this work done.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

davocean is offline Registered User
      My status is: fantabulous

I am:
      Amused

I know you have a camera Dave, you can at least show us pics of the new gear you're getting man!
      Lets see some stuuufff!

I am:
      Tired

I ordered my CADLights 1220 skimmer today. Knowing Marine Depot I will probably get it on Tuesday. And yes, I will take some pics just for you Dave.

Now I need to get to work on finishing up the interior of my stand. I'll have it skinned later on after everything is set up in the house. I'm going to put a back on it and put in a raceway for the electrical gak. That way everything will be kept nice and neat. If I can only get some time off to work on it I would be happy.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

I am:
      Tired

Just got the email that my skimmer has been shipped. It will be delivered tomorrow. I also ordered the slotted cable raceway that I will use to organize all of my wiring. Coming from Florida via UPS ground so I will see it on Nov. 4th. Once I get my sump, which hopefully will be in a week or two, I should be all ready to get everything dialed in. I still have to get my lights all sorted out as well. I think I am going to use two 150w halides, two 48" actinic T-5's and an assortment of LEDs from my self-built LED setup. I'll have to play with it a little to get it all set up the way I want it. I'll shoot some pics of the new hardware in the next day or two.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

ReefMaster is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

I want wait to see your setup

I am:
      Tired

It is coming together piece by piece, slowly but surely. It is hard to get any work done when I am working 12 - 14 hours a day when I am not out of town for work. I think my Naso tang is pissed at me because he can see the new tank sitting on a pallet right next to the crappy holding tank that he is in. My RBTA's are pissed too. They constantly are on the move and not happy at all. Hopefully I can make some good progress next week. Work looks to be a little light.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

ReefMaster is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Cool

Dave I know what you mean, its hard setting up the tank with working, but enjoy the journey. I sure have.

I am:
      Tired

As I said in an earlier post, I have taken delivery of a few major components for this build. Here is what I got:

CAD Lights TIA 1220 skimmer. It looks good and looks well built. I can't wait to fire it up.

This skimmer has the pump inside the skimmer body itself in order to save space.

My Diablo 5500 DC return pump. This pump comes with this controller which to this point I do not believe anybody has figured out a hack to make it controllable via a RKE or Apex. I do plan on doing a little re-con inside this controller. It can't be that hard to figure out a way to make it accessible from a third party controller.

This bio-pellet reactor will house these Vertex bio-pellets. It is the Hydra Aquatics Reactor and it looks well built. It also has an access hole on the top to refill it when needed.

The In and Out as well as the access hole are all on the top of the reactor. It uses a flow educter to generate more flow downward into a cone shaped bottom that is designed to keep the pellets tumbling. We'll see how well that works once I get everything running.

I will be seeding the system with the Prodibio line of starter bacteria and will continue using the Prodibio products on a regular basis with this tank. I won several months worth of product at MACNA and wanted to run the system with this stuff. I have read many good things about it so I am looking forward to documenting the progress using the Prodibio system. Once started it will require a dose of several of their products twice a month. A far cry from the daily regimen required with the Zeovit system.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

RussM is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Dave, I'm about 90% sure that the Diablo DC-series are the same as the Speedwave pumps. If you look at pictures, they all appear to use the same pump controller. ReefAngel sells a cable for Jebao & Speedwave pumps... it converts 0-10v analog dimming/speed control to the 5v signal used by the pumps. If you change the input side connector of the cable as needed to mate up with the APC or ALC, in theory it would work. People have been doing this with the Apex variable speed outlets. But definitely do some research to confirm!

specvjeff is offline SDMAS President/SDR Mod
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

I think Dave and Russ need to have a controller date and figure out how to rig up the DC controller to an Apex/RKE.
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

I am:
      Tired

Today I pissed off the UPS guy again. He had to deliver a 72" long box to my porch. It contained the slotted cable raceway that I ordered from Electriduct. I will be running it down the middle of the stand to keep all of the cables organized and hidden away. I'll post some pics of it tomorrow. Hoping to get my sump this week, then I will be able to make some real progress right before I head out to Hong Kong for a few days. I may even get this tank wet before Christmas!
      Dave
      My current 130g system

I am:
      Tired

Here are some pics of the electrical raceway I am using on this build.

I got two different sizes. The bigger stuff will be primarily for the power chords and the smaller stuff will be for probe wires.

This stuff is drilled for easy attachment and should be quite simple to install while providing a neat and clean method of cable control.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

echoreef is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Love the electrical raceway. Only question I have is how do you remove an equipment if the cable is nested in the raceway. Would that make it difficult if you had to move something out to clean?

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by echoreef View Post
      Love the electrical raceway. Only question I have is how do you remove an equipment if the cable is nested in the raceway. Would that make it difficult if you had to move something out to clean?
      It should be fairly easy. The cover snaps on and off pretty easy and the wires in the channel won't be crammed in there. I should have plenty of room so any wire I need to remove should come out easy enough. We'll see how it goes.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information