• + Reply to Thread

Thread: Reeftronics

RussM is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Reeftronics

What is Reeftronics?

Reeftronics is a website and system I developed several years ago, initially for my own use so I could easily see my AC3 controller status while I was traveling on business. I then added a similar capability for RKE specifically for our good SDR friend DaveMorris. As time went on, it grew into a much more robust and capable system, and now serves hundreds of members worldwide. Reeftronics works with these controllers:

- Neptune Apex/Apex Lite/Apex Jr
      - Neptune AC3/AC3Pro
      - Digital Aquatics RKE/RKL (with a NET module)
      - ReefAngel/ReefAngel+

The Reeftronics server polls each member's controller every 10 minutes to retrieve current status information. Data from temperature, pH, ORP, salinity/conductivity probes, dissolved oxygen, and electrical current load measurements from EB8/EB4 and PC-4 power strips are then extracted from the status data and subsequently stored in a database. This data is then used for the graphing features on Reeftronics.

When someone accesses a Reeftronics real-time status web page, the Reeftronics retrieves status for that controller immediately, then parses, formats, and displays that information.. all in the blink of an eye. The status page also shows graphs for the last 24 hours, giving you the ability to quickly see the current & recent picture side by side on a single page, something that cannot be done on the Apex or AC3 itself.

The History pages display weekly and monthly data side by side for all parameters on one page.

There are several advantages to the graphs on Reeftronics...
      - they show high/avg/low values for the display period
      - the database is kept independent of the controller, so if the datalog in the controller is lost, the historical data on Reeftronics is still available. As a reefkeeper, the history & trend in parameters are just as important to me as are the real-time current values. This is of particular value to AC3/AC3Pro owners, because the datalog is wiped if the controller reboots.
      - the multiple graphs on a singe page make it fast and easy to see the big picture.
      - For those members having multiple Neptune EB8/EB4 or multiple DA PC4 modules, the total amperage is also graphed.

Reeftronics also offers a notification system which will alert you via email if the server cannot communicate with a member's controller. The Reeftronics system automatically tracks any polling failures. After 1 hour of continuous communications failures, the member will be notified by a system-generated "early warning" email. After 3 more hours of continuous communications failures, the member will be notified again by another system-generated email. If another 4 hours goes by without a successful poll, another email will be sent, and polling will automatically be suspended. The notification emails contain a hyperlink that will enable the member to test communications, and if the problem has been resolved, polling will then resume automatically.

This notification feature has proven quite beneficial, and has been credited with "saving" several members' tanks. The email received from Reeftronics was the first indication to the member that something major was wrong.... a controller failure, a power outage, etc. While this is the least obvious benefit of being a Reeftronics member, it is undeniably the most significant benefit.

Reeftronics also offers some interactive reporting tools for the Apex & AC3 owner (anyone can use them, not just members): a report which lists all outlet programming and profiles conveniently on one page (cannot be done on the Apex itself), a report which parses the outlet log and puts it in much more usable format, and an outlet inventory report. Reeftronics also has a network diagnostic tool to help AC3/Apex owners configure and test access from the Internet.

Some companies' firewalls & web filters block access to known residential IP address ranges; others block access to unknown/custom ports. There are at least 2 members I am aware of which have this problem - but alas, they can get to Reeftronics from work no problem, so they can still see current tank status.

What Reeftronics doesn't do:
      - allow any changes to the controller
      - generate sigs for use in forums
      - require a login to see or do anything, making it easy to share.

Becoming a Reeftronics member is easy... just read the FAQs, make sure your controller is accessible from the Internet, and then submit a Membership Request.

And best of all - it is FREE. I provide the service as a way of giving back to the reefkkeeping community and for my own enjoyment. Voluntary donations via PayPal are accepted and are deeply appreciated - they are used to defray the hosting costs for the Reeftronics server.
      Last edited by RussM; 06-02-2013 at 07:43 AM.

RussM is offline SDMAS Staff Member
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

I'd love to have more local reefers on Reeftronics!

specvjeff is offline SDMAS President/SDR Mod
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

As soon as I got my net module running, the first person I contacted was Russ. Reeftronics is a great way to monitor your tank on the go! The graphs are a fantastic tool to monitor your tank.

Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator
      Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 4 Beta
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

specvjeff is offline SDMAS President/SDR Mod
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

Here's the link to my status page

http://www.reeftronics.net/specvjeff/rk-status
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

h20poloman is offline Premium Member
      My status is: I'd rather be reefing than
      working

I am:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by specvjeff View Post
      As soon as I got my net module running, the first person I contacted was Russ. Reeftronics is a great way to monitor your tank on the go! The graphs are a fantastic tool to monitor your tank.

Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator
      Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 4 Beta
      Ditto +1 --thanks for offering this cool service Russ
      187G Reef Savvy 60x30x24

00/0Feedback

DaveMorris is offline Controller nut
      My status is: Tired and over-worked

I am:
      Tired

Not only did Reeftronics simplify my controller experience, but I am quite happy to have had a teeny tiny little bit of influence on Russ' decision to take Reeftronics global. . He didn't mention that he hosts webcams too. Go to the "Dave" tab on Refftronics and you can see the links to both of my webcams.

Reeftronics is a very nice sight that is rock solid. Russ is a cool cat that really loves this stuff. Take advantage of his service and support him in it. It is well worth $20 or $30 without question.
      Dave
      My current 130g system

Got a question about controllers? Ask away...
      Digital Aquatics beta tester

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information