• Tired
  • + Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY Hofer Gurgle Buster

jasonp87 is offline SDR Moderator/Ninja
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Sneaky

DIY Hofer Gurgle Buster

Hey all, I am going to be building a couple of these hofer gurgle busters over the next week/weekend, and was wondering if anybody is currently using one? Any imput on design and performance would be greatly appreciated.

The reviews I have read online are pretty good and everyone says they are silent. I also love the small footprint which is perfect for me since I don't have a ton of room side to side in my overflows, but vertical space is readily available. The only cons I have seen are issues with bubble algea or snails getting stuck in them but that seems like more of an in-tank problem, mine will be inside my internal overflows so they should be pretty well protected from larger debris.

The link for how to build them is below if anybody else is curious. I will update this thread as I build them and then after they are installed.

http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Sneaky

Well I built the first 2 today and am pretty happy with them. I did a quick test and from what I could tell they were totally silent. The final test in the tank will be the most important though. At that point I hope to do a video so you can hear the difference with and without them. One of the great things about these is that they can be installed in a running system without shutting anything off. They just plug right into the bulkheads if you have the kind with the internal female slip.

One of the guys at homedepot saw the pic on my phone i was working from and gave me a strange look, they do kind of look like an IED i guess haha.

slicktoppomp is offline Registered User
      My status is: So you mean i can write
      anything here??

I am:
      Down

DIY Hofer Gurgle Buster

Turned out good man. I know I've built the stockman before. Kinda the same concept but I guess the hofer just has more holes. Either way good job. I liked how it silenced my tank.

bladedrummer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by jasonp87 View Post
      Well I built the first 2 today and am pretty happy with them. I did a quick test and from what I could tell they were totally silent. The final test in the tank will be the most important though. At that point I hope to do a video so you can hear the difference with and without them. One of the great things about these is that they can be installed in a running system without shutting anything off. They just plug right into the bulkheads if you have the kind with the internal female slip.

One of the guys at homedepot saw the pic on my phone i was working from and gave me a strange look, they do kind of look like an IED i guess haha.
      Actually, it looks more like something you would use to smoke it up.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Sneaky

Quote Originally Posted by bladedrummer View Post
      Actually, it looks more like something you would use to smoke it up.
      Haha, yeah I guess I can see that too well good news is whatever you do with it would be absolutely silent

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Sneaky

Well I got these guys finished up and Rey really are silent. I ended up swapping the bell upside down relative to the tutorial I built them from and they worked much better. They were pretty loud the original direction. I think this direction allows much less air into the drains. I have included a drawing of how it is built. if anyone has any questions about these or needs help building one just let me know. I would be happy to help.

Ratkiller is offline Registered User
      My status is: Never Satisfied

I am:
      Cool

IMO this drain pipe design is the best. I've been useing it in all my tanks for years and it works like a charm. I really like the flexability to raise or lower the cup, which in turn effects the level of water in the overflow, there for, creating less or more of a water drop/noise.

And I too have always ended up flipping the cup. Great thread!!!! Cheers!!!!!
      Last edited by Ratkiller; 05-10-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Sneaky

Thanks. When I originally built it and had the bell opening up it was just as loud as when it wasn't installed. Once flipped it is silent (believe it or not the idea to flip it actually came in a dream where I could hear the tank running and was upset by the noise now i just need to dream the winning lotto numbers ). The thing I like best about this design is the simplicity and the small size that goes along with it. The durso standpipe and others take up a large amount of room and are very complex in comparison. I only had a 4x4" space to fit whatever I went with so this ended up being the perfect design!

Vesh1117 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Geeky

Re: DIY Hofer Gurgle Buster

That's a simple design, i was thinking of building the stand pipe but this one looks alot easier. I was wondering though, how far down does the airline go into the pvc pipe? Does it go all the way down or just like an inch. I'm going to try to build one this weekend

Vesh1117

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Sneaky

The airline tubing should be long enough to stick out the top an inch or so and go past the drain holes in the pipe. This allows you to adjust it down the road without cutting a new tube. Let me know if you have any other questions when you start building them.

Vesh1117 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Geeky

Re: DIY Hofer Gurgle Buster

Thanks and I'm sure I'll have more questions when i start building it

Vesh1117

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information