Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New to Hobby

FoxhoundTSX is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

New to Hobby

Hello Everyone,

Finally the time has come for me to build my own reef aquarium, I've always been attracted and curious by them, so as I read and read to the tons of threads and information, please feel free to post suggestion, tips, and what you think I should do from day one. links would be helpful too, as I don't really know what im looking for, I am learning as I go.
      My main goal for now is to get a big tank, which (according to what I was reading) are easier to maintain when building a reef aquarium. I live in Chula Vista and would love to see someone's aquarium in action, or at least a hands on in cleaning and maintaining...

Im excited to be part of this new hobby and can't wait to see how everything turns out.

Harleycvo12 is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Fox welcome to the hobby, I am new as well. You will find the people here are very friendly, helpfull and awesome. I have met a few when I went to buy gear and saw their tanks up close and it was awesome. I am jelous and can not wait till until i have something anywhere close to them. Best of luck, and I wish I could offer more advice. You will find friendly helpfull people here though so best of luck, and when you start the build post pictures and people will comment and offer advice as well.

jada1 is offline SDMAS STAFF
      My status is: chill

I am:
      Crazy

Welcome to Sdreefs..be patient..ask if in doubt. .
      My build in progress
      125gallon Leemar rimless 48x30x20 starphire, 48 Ati Hybrid, Ghl /Apex dos, powered by an Apex, ecotech, tunze for flow,
      Custom sump made by me.
      http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/...ew-Beginning.-.

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

thanks guys, im pretty excited, I just want to do it right the first time. I'm still trying to learn about all the equipment needed, stands, and other things.

XO PRESENTS is offline SDMAS Staff Member / MOD
      My status is: Never doubt that a small group
      of thoughtful, committed
      citizens can change the world;
      indeed, it's the only thing
      that ever has.

I am:
      Tired

Welcome to SDR... there are several members down in your area... check out the Members Tanks thread.. you'll get a kick out of it and see what area they are located... you can also use the search box on the top left to perhaps find answers to any questions... so if you have a question.. odds are that they have been asked and answered by very educated fellow reefers here.. but if your stumped.. asked away !!! Enjoy the hobby as much as we all do.. best wishes...
      Attentively,

Ron Luong

SDR Marketing Director / SDMAS Board of Directors

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.

Investing in our SDR Community www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?89507-SanDiegoReefs.com-Giving-back-to-our-community

My Crazy Obsession
      www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?96495-Xo-signature-experience-s-obsession-continues

Show Some Love
      http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?75529-XO-PRESENTS-feedback

Who Got Tats? wwwhttp://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showth...-Off-Your-Tats.

bladedrummer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Hello and welcome!

P.S.: I would say that 75 or 90 gal is a good size to start. =)

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by XO PRESENTS View Post
      Welcome to SDR... there are several members down in your area... check out the Members Tanks thread.. you'll get a kick out of it and see what area they are located... you can also use the search box on the top left to perhaps find answers to any questions... so if you have a question.. odds are that they have been asked and answered by very educated fellow reefers here.. but if your stumped.. asked away !!! Enjoy the hobby as much as we all do.. best wishes...
      Thank u sir, yes, I am pretty familiar with the search bar, I actually rather search than post a thread, I have also checked out some of the builds, so many great ideas and designs.

Quote Originally Posted by bladedrummer View Post
      Hello and welcome!

P.S.: I would say that 75 or 90 gal is a good size to start. =)
      I'm glad you mentioned that, I was looking at a 225 gallon, is that too big?

bladedrummer is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Quote Originally Posted by FoxhoundTSX View Post
      I'm glad you mentioned that, I was looking at a 225 gallon, is that too big?
      No, that is just my opinion. Too big, too small, it's a very subjective matter.

I can give you my reasons though:
      1) Price. A 225 gallon is going to be expensive. It will be expensive to buy, expensive to fill with all the goodies (sand, rock and livestock) and it will be expensive to upkeep as well.
      2) Scope. Before going all out and getting a huge tank, I would get a medium size tank and see if the hobby suits you. I'll be honest, tons of people who start a saltwater tank quit in the first six months to a year.
      3) Medium size tanks won't have the stability issues that smaller systems have and will be more forgiving of your mistakes. At the same time, a medium-size tank will also have enough room for you to try out several things.

Again, this is all very subjective. Some people will say that a smaller tank would be even better and some others will say "go big or go home"...
      I personally think that a 125 or 120 (different proportions, standard 120s have more depth) would be "the perfect middle", if you feel like smaller won't cut it.

specvjeff is offline SDMAS President/SDR Mod
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Tired

Welcome to the hobby and to San Diego Reefs! Coming to San Diego Marine Aquarium Society meetings would be a great way for you to learn and also a great way to get to know fellow hobbyists!
      Jeff
      SDMAS President
      SDReefs Moderator

www.macna2016.org

onyong4u is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Hungry

Welcome Fox!

+1 on 120g for starter. I prefer 48x24x24. Wider is much better for aquascaping!

photoguy is offline Advanced Hobbyist
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

Welcome to the hobby..
      I know i have an addiction...DO YOU
      where is Reefs Anonymous

wholagan is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

New to Hobby

+1 on coming to the meeting and starting with a 90-120g. I re-entered the hobby a little over a year ago with a 50 and now I'm in a 120g 4x2x2. Welcome to SDreefs!
      SDMAS Treasurer

Wholagan's Island 120g Build
      120g 4'x2'x2', ASM G2 Skimmer, Eheim 1262, Maxspect Razor 27" 16k, Jebo WP-40 and WP-25 wavemaker pump

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps18369467.jpg

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

You guys were right, I went today to "Fountain's Aquarium" to check out the size's of the tanks to kinda get an idea. I saw a 240 Gallon tank and that thing was hugeeeeee!. my wife immediately said no, so I figured the 225 was out of the question. There was a very nice employee there who decided to take us to the back and show us the rest of the sizes. I really liked all the ones from 100-135 Gallons, Of course I want the 135 so now the search begins for a tank locally

Edit: can I have more information on this meet please? I would love to attend.

Edit: I found the facebook page for SDMAS and got all the info for it. I also found a 135 Gallon tank with stand and canopy, I'm not sure how much it will weigh but from what I read it seems like it would be too much for me and my wife (we just moved here so we really don't know the neighbors) if I needed some help moving it, can any of you help me?
      Last edited by FoxhoundTSX; 04-15-2013 at 12:07 AM.

wholagan is offline Registered User
      Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

New to Hobby

I don't live in your area but I know from experience reefers are always willing to lend a hand.

I think the most important thing in shopping the tank is make it suit your needs. Like bladerunner said, the bigger it is, the more cost it is to fill it. If your shopping used tanks, don't settle with the right size but with no internal overflow or other types of "extras" you want in it. These types of things. I've made those mistakes but am now happy with my current build to fit the types of livestock I want to put in it. When in doubt, ask away. Also, I will travel south to lift tanks for Carne asada burritos lol.
      SDMAS Treasurer

Wholagan's Island 120g Build
      120g 4'x2'x2', ASM G2 Skimmer, Eheim 1262, Maxspect Razor 27" 16k, Jebo WP-40 and WP-25 wavemaker pump

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ps18369467.jpg

Enter Status Here..

I am:
      Set you mood here...

this is the one I found http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/for/3743973397.html it says it has internal overflow. im guessing it's ready to go

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information