Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
      Well what if---- joking
      riiiight?!

SDguy is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: All good

I am:
      Geeky

I guess I should clarify my definition of fear...

Out of fear, we do things to our systems, that have no immediate or constant long term benefits.

Let's see some examples:

I have a vortech with a battery backup = out of fear if power goes out

I have a shutoff valve on my skimmer waste collector = out of fear my skimmer goes crazy and overflows

You have multiple return pumps for ease of use? Fear in case something goes wrong while you are away?

You have multiple pumps so during water changes your system isn't "off"....

OK, so, my point here is, none of these examples are for something we do to help our tanks, immediately or long term. They are either to help us keep the tanks alive in case of an issue, or for our benefit/leisure. Either way, it is for us, not the tank.

End of the day, the OP needs to know they are not "risking" anything with their eggs in their basket by having one pump vs. many.... it's all about their system, their situation, and what they are capable of.
      Last edited by SDguy; 04-05-2013 at 04:51 PM.
      Peter

Salty fingers since 1989. Current tanks: 240g FOWLR, 15g QT.

JohnnyAirtime is offline Registered User
      My status is: Busy Bee

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
      You have multiple return pumps for ease of use? Fear in case something goes wrong while you are away?
      You have multiple pumps so during water changes your system isn't "off"....

OK, so, my point here is, none of these examples are for something we do to help our tanks, immediately or long term. They are either to help us keep the tanks alive in case of an issue, or for our benefit/leisure. Either way, it is for us, not the tank.

End of the day, the OP needs to know they are not "risking" anything with their eggs in their basket by having one pump vs. many.... it's all about their system, their situation, and what they are capable of.
      You can clarify all ya want.... Doesn't change anything.

... As I will clarify.... my primary reason is; 3 return pumps feed my 6 loclines. I use those 3 as my only source of water movement. All (3) are 1800gph submersible pumps. Sure I could use on large pump... and a manifold type plumbing solution. But why, when redundancy is so easy?! 3 pumps in my system, is easy and convenient... benefits of multiple pump returns far outweigh a single pump solution. You can recap my comments all you'd like, but there's no point. My comments are just highlights of having a multiple pump return solution. ....if you want to smell some other reasoning, in your mind... so be it.

And I'll ask ONE MORE question, based on your last paragraph....
      So your telling the original poster; T
      That there is NO MORE RISK in using one pump as a sole return pump, then using two or three (basically saying 1 pump, is just as good and safe as 2 or 3) Correct?!

If so, this is again... where I'll agree to disagree. And leave it at that.

Have a good weekend, I'm going to Baja!

Last edited by JohnnyAirtime; 04-05-2013 at 05:33 PM.

slicktoppomp is offline Registered User
      My status is: So you mean i can write
      anything here??

I am:
      Down

External pump VS Internal

Quote Originally Posted by Saltbandit View Post
      Hey all,
      I am new to the hobby and currently stumped with mixed opinions about pumps. I was going to buy a skimmer pump, a return pump and a pump for a reactor. Someone mentioned to me that buying a external pump and run all three items off of it would work. Any input from yall would be helpfull. Thanks
      You can run multiple things off of either an internal or external. It's really personal preference and what will work with the space you have. Definitely though the skimmer will want it's own pump. You could run a reactor off your return. I liked having an internal pump just cause it was a little quieter option since my tank was in my room and i didn't have much room in my stand. Plus it was better for my wallet. Downside was that it added a little extra heat to my tank. Summer I didn't even run a heater. Had to put a fan on my sump. I do like externals cause they push a lot of water still are quiet and add little heat exchange to the water. The downside is that they are much more expensive than internals and there is the risk of seals wearing down and leaking. Unless you keep on top of replacing them. Hope you find something that works.

SDguy is offline Site Moderator
      My status is: All good

I am:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyAirtime View Post
      And I'll ask ONE MORE question, based on your last paragraph....
      So your telling the original poster; T
      That there is NO MORE RISK in using one pump as a sole return pump, then using two or three (basically saying 1 pump, is just as good and safe as 2 or 3) Correct?!
      ? That's like me asking... hey, what's better? Having one tank system running, or two just in case something goes wrong with the first one? Where do you stop with this train of thought?... rhetorical.... have a great weekend.
      Last edited by SDguy; 04-05-2013 at 06:26 PM.
      Peter

Salty fingers since 1989. Current tanks: 240g FOWLR, 15g QT.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information