PDA

View Full Version : energy efficient lighting / plant advice

belladoula
03-13-2013, 04:46 PM
I am pretty new to fish aquariums, but I have been doing my research for a while on how to improve my plant growth/looks.

I have a variety of live plants in my tank including pennywort, moneywort, Amazon sword, a moss ball, pontederifolia, bacopa, 2 rotala indica bunches, and floating wisteria for fry to hide in. I want one more background plant such as anacharis, but for some reason the one I had slowly died.

I was using Aqueon liquid plant food, but have since used my first bottle and am looking for something better for my plants. I also added Seachem Flourish Excel since the beginning of February. I went to a LFS and the entire Seachem line was recommended to me instead of the liquid plant food. I only bought the Nitrogen and Iron to start. While the lady made it seem as if it would be really easy to add to my routine I haven't found it to be so. I don't know how to measure the iron in my water to know how much to add. I haven't had any luck online figuring this part out, so I haven't added it.. I was also recommended the Macro Micro Nutrient Mix from aquariumfertilizer.com, but there are very few reviews on it. Anyone have experience with this?

Also, I currently have a T5 light on my tank. It is 30 inches wide, 18 inches deep, and 24 inches tall, 56 gallons. I know I need a better light, so I have been trying to figure out more energy efficient lighting that will do the job. I would like to have LED lights. It is SO confusing for me. I borrowed a couple of books from libraries, but it was like I was trying to read books in a foreign language. I did get a couple of suggestions of light sets from different LFS, but when I go online to ask other hobbyist or look for reviews I don't hear the same happy tune. As much as I want to say price is not a concern, I would like to stay under $250, but would go to $300 for the "perfect" light set. Recommendations would greatly appreciated. I see a lot of reef lights that have feedback, but I am not sure they will work for freshwater planted tanks.

Sitherz
03-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Leds are harder in live planed tanks. I use a Sunpark Hid 150w for my mane planted tank. I am experamenting with Marineland Led system on my other tank. The LEDs do work just not for plants that require a Lot of Gamma/Vitamin D and Photosynthasis. Now the LED setups are more energy efficent but I dont think it ill equal the HID. With the LED setup I also have to keep the lights on longer. 12 hours with the LED is about the same as 7 hours with the HID light. Just my 2 cents worth. Also I do use CO2 in the LED tank.

belladoula
03-15-2013, 11:46 PM
I have thought about looking more into a CO2 system, but again I haven't really looked into it. I have high pH at 7.6 and could have my pH lowered into a safe range slowly. I read about DIY systems, but I need something that would be more regular because I am in nursing school that is incredibly intense and sometimes I would be away for 2-3 days. I have food measured out for occasions like this, but I fear a CO2 system may require more babysitting than I can give. If I am wrong, let me know.

I too have looked at the Marineland LED system that is marketed to be for planted aquariums. I have a Marineland tank, so I am familiar with the quality of products. However, I am aware it may not transfer over to their lighting systems. I am curious to hear you report back on your thoughts about it as your experimenting advances.

I have a T5 as mentioned above and keep the lights on for 11 hours a day as is. So I am guessing I would need to have LEDs on even longer.

belladoula
03-15-2013, 11:47 PM
Leds are harder in live planed tanks. I use a Sunpark Hid 150w for my mane planted tank. I am experamenting with Marineland Led system on my other tank. The LEDs do work just not for plants that require a Lot of Gamma/Vitamin D and Photosynthasis. Now the LED setups are more energy efficent but I dont think it ill equal the HID. With the LED setup I also have to keep the lights on longer. 12 hours with the LED is about the same as 7 hours with the HID light. Just my 2 cents worth. Also I do use CO2 in the LED tank.

Do you use any type of fertilizers or supplements for your plants?

Sitherz
03-16-2013, 01:46 AM
Correct, So far the LED system isnt that good I am starting to see browning on some of my plants. The high end LED systems are good but they are not cheap. I will watch my tank for about another week and see how it goes. The CO2 system depending on how you set it up can be really easy to maintain. I can not remember off the top of my head the brand, but there are defusers with built in jets that work really well, and you dot have to run it under your satrate.

Sandbags
03-16-2013, 07:13 AM
Unless you go with DIY LEDs where you can chose the spectrum of white. I would say go with a 4 bulb t5 fixture. 1 daylight, 1 plant, 1 daylight, 1 plant bulbs. This also goes for planted tanks not just reef tanks, don't add something you don't test for. As for equipment with planted tanks. A co2 diffuser and good lighting is all you need. I recommend Aqua Design Amano's diffuser I had good luck with theirs. As for the lighting.. Nothing fancy maybe a odyssey 4 bulb fixture.

Lighting
http://www.aquatraders.com/T5-Aquarium-Lighting-s/9.htm

Diffuser
http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=678

The diffuser is exspensive but with the money you save on the lighting you could get yourself the bulbs you need and the diffuser and stay under $350

belladoula
03-16-2013, 11:29 PM
Unless you go with DIY LEDs where you can chose the spectrum of white. I would say go with a 4 bulb t5 fixture. 1 daylight, 1 plant, 1 daylight, 1 plant bulbs. This also goes for planted tanks not just reef tanks, don't add something you don't test for. As for equipment with planted tanks. A co2 diffuser and good lighting is all you need. I recommend Aqua Design Amano's diffuser I had good luck with theirs. As for the lighting.. Nothing fancy maybe a odyssey 4 bulb fixture.

Lighting
http://www.aquatraders.com/T5-Aquarium-Lighting-s/9.htm

Diffuser
http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=678

The diffuser is exspensive but with the money you save on the lighting you could get yourself the bulbs you need and the diffuser and stay under $350

Thank you for the links. This is exactly what I was wanting, but could you explain why you chose these products over others on the market? (Sorry, trying to learn as I go. I really appreciate your reply.) The lighting sets look nice and I like that there are different plugs in one fixture that I could set up on different timers.

Do you have a good resource whether book or online for those who are installing CO2 systems? I just want to make sure I don't fry everything in my tank if I put one in.

Sitherz
03-16-2013, 11:59 PM
No I dont I use volcano rock satrate and wood. CO2. I do need to look into some fertilizers and supplements for them. One of my planted tanks has been up for 2 years and it has never had CO2 or fertilizer and the plants do fine. Look into the Red Reef CO2 systems I am still working on mine.

Sandbags
03-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Ill try to find a link on the diffuser. Thy are pretty easy to set up though. I just fiddled with mine till it worked. I've purchased the odyssey fixtures and have had no problems with them. They work well. But some people don't like buying non name brands.

belladoula
03-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Brands don't matter to me, effectiveness and energy efficiency however do. I don't want to kill my plants or my wallet.

Pipedesign619
03-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Look into Kessil A150 Amazon Sun LEDs. Cost effective and great lights! Also I'm not sure if you guys mentioned it or not but you can soften your water using driftwood as well. Just my 2 cents.

Sandbags
03-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Pipe if she has a large tank she would have to get multiple kessils which would be past $500. While if you have a smaller tank the kessils are amazing.. If you get into larger tanks you need more and more. They are just like spot lights. Also there are some par bulbs that people get from Home Depot for reef tanks.. I'm sure they would work for your planted