PDA

View Full Version : Help! Newbie question(s)

BigH2OChief
03-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Hello all,

For the past few months my 10year old and I have been slowly gathering equipment for a little 55g project. We were almost there but when installing plumbing I cracked the glass. I thought we were back to square one however this morning we inherited a complete 90g set-up from a family friend. Almost twice the tank only for a few hours of driving and gas money... and my Princess is happy again!

I had originally intended this experiment to be from ground zero and using only 'new' Tank, Sump, Plumping, LS, LR, etc... and this tank as of last night was healthy and well cared for.

My questions are as follows:

* The tank is encrusted with beuatiful coralline algae. Should I scrape it all off and start off clean, or leave it be?

* We recieved about 60lbs of LS. Should we dump it or start over?

* We recieved about 80lbs of LR. Some of it does have green algae but most all of it is encrusted in coralline algae. Boil/Clean it or leave it and try and treat the green algae?

Any and all advice sugestions and recomendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks- Woody

bradreef
03-02-2013, 12:29 PM
1. the rock you will hear mixed opinions. I say scrub it though. Boiling it would be extreme. and it would still leach phosphates down the road with the die-off. if you scrub you wont have much die and won't have a big cycle.
2. the sand is ok to rinse multiple times. you can reuse or get new if you want.
3. coraline algae. Scrub most but you can keep some . It might die back at first.

slicktoppomp
03-02-2013, 12:34 PM
I wouldn't boil the rock just to be safe. Especially if there are any types of polyps or corals on them. I've read stories about the fumes from corals making people sick.

cutterx23
03-02-2013, 12:35 PM
How long ago was the 90g running? How long has LS and LR been sitting? Is coraline blocking viewing area on the tank, is it all over front and side glass? Or just on the back? Will you be setting the tank up to be viewed 360 degrees or only front and side?

scubasteve
03-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Was tank running when you got it- or was everything dry? If its a turnkey system that was running- i would scrape glass- then empty 90% of water and refill with scripps- or mix your own water- bcuz the rocks are still live and so is sand- if everything has been dried or sitting too long that's another story....

BigH2OChief
03-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Thank you all so much for the rapid responses!

Tank was broken down last night at 11:00pm and was well maintained and cared for by an active experoenced entusiast (unlike me -- haha). LS & LR was transported in water from the tank and has been transfered into a large drum with about 40gallons of the original tankj water. LS & LR do not smell and the LR has intermitent sploches of green algae. No green algae in the DT or Sump.

Coralline on DT covers back and overflow and half the sides. This tank will only be able to be viewed from the ront and partially on one side.

Your thoughts with this info?

jonzee2006
03-02-2013, 01:01 PM
I would just start over that way you know what your dealing with. dry that rock out completely and just cycle it yourself. This way you don't inherit the last owners problems. If you want to speed the cycle up you can use brightwell microbactor and maybe a couple live rocks from a friend and that should kick start your tank. Take it slow it'll be worth it

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

rudy
03-02-2013, 01:16 PM
I would use the rock, except scrub the algae off the rock. Keep it and the sand in the container it's in with a power head and a heater until you're ready for it.
The sand I would rinse it in the container water before you put it into the tank, rinse it very well or it will cloud up the tank.
The coralline on the tank will probably die off and turn white, so I'd clean it off. At least the front and sides.
Clean the sump and any plumbing that you re-use really well and I'd use a filter sock for at least a week or two to catch the sediment that will be floating around.

cutterx23
03-02-2013, 01:24 PM
If you're in a hurry do what scubasteve said, and you may have a bit of fluctuation in water quality for the beginning. You want to use the live sand and live rock and not kill it all off so you can add things quicker but don't get anything you can't afford or don't want to have to replace. Not saying you will have to replace but there is a slightly higher chance than if the system had been running for awhile... If probably do that and still take it a little slow... But if you want to be extra safe you can clean and rinse everything diligently and them allow tank to cycle new for you... Now I will caution this, if the water that sand and rock has been sitting in all day and night is cold, like under 65 degrees, and has been cold then I would say go the safer route because who knows what may have died and be stuck in the sand and rocks and you won't want that to taint your water. Hope this helps. Once again nothing is always 100% for everybody so watch it whatever you do and figure out what will work best for your situation.

cutterx23
03-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Rudy best plan of attack. Listen to Rudy

BigH2OChief
03-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Follw-up question... Clean with straight water -or Vinegar solution? I've read/heard both sugegsted before>

cutterx23
03-02-2013, 02:59 PM
If its so dirty it won't come off with water, then use vinegar

scubasteve
03-02-2013, 04:36 PM
No- just scrape- don't use vinegar- it will kill good stuff. Lol

rudy
03-02-2013, 05:15 PM
You probably know, but to be clear. Vinegar on equipment, power heads, heaters and glass, etc. Not live rock.

VW REEFS
03-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Good job Rudy its right on the mark

BigH2OChief
03-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Once again... Thank you all!

Tank was scrapped and cleaned over and over again for three hours. I am having alot of trouble getting the Coralline off the overflow as it is a plastic. there is definatley no more "green stuff" onboard and the good algae is already turning white.

The Sump and all equipment was cleaned with a vinegar solution and rinsed over and over and over... and over again and looks brand new. The LR & LS is in it's barrel full of tank water with a Koralia 750 flowing and heater. Temp is 78 degrees and my Cat is freaking looking at the water from her perch.

Tomorrow we plan to scrub down the the LR and rinse the LS. I could use some tips of "rinsing sand though"...

Have a great Saturday Night!

Woody

DaveMorris
03-02-2013, 09:32 PM
I would not scrub the rock. If the tank it was in was just taken down and the rock was kept in the tank water like you said, I do not believe that much of anything on the rock would die off. Why get rid of life that you want in the tank anyway? Unless it is covered with aiptasia or mojanos I would leave it as is. Just my two cents.

march
03-03-2013, 12:10 AM
Why are so many people in such a hurry to scrub or boil or dry out live rock? If it's been kept relatively stable, which it sounds like it has, use it and keep all that life it already has on it...

As far as rinsing sand, what I've done is get a lot of extra water on hand - I use scripps so not a big deal. With the sand in a tub I just mix it around with my hand (gloved) so the water is very cloudy then dump a bunch of the water out. Fill it back up again and repeat until the water becomes relatively clear. Some people will disagree with using sand after disturbing it. You may want to consider what they say - I'm just sharing what I've done in the past and I think that if you're using the established live rock, you should be all right. Just take it slow after that - which it sounds like you're doing anyway. Good luck!

socalaly
03-03-2013, 12:32 AM
I agree with Dave and mark. Unless aptasia or other pests why scrub clean etc it. If there's algae scrub that off but the rest let it be. Good luck and cat wait to see some pictures!

bbandu
03-03-2013, 01:00 AM
looks like you have got alot of responses to your question, and I would use the rock as is unless covered with pest (aptasia and mojanos), rinse the sand and go from there. If you have any further questions dont hesitate to ask.