PDA

View Full Version : WTB! Fishing pole

afitzwater
02-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Looking for an entry level fishing pole, just plan to fish off the pier and the beach, please let me know what you have. Thank you

Yolo
02-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Fitz...if you are just goofing off and doing some shore fishing...hate to say it, but, um...Big 5 or WalMart. Get a 20lb spinning outfit and above all, make sure you get a California Fishing License. If I'm not sailing I think I might start hitting up some early morning shore fishing on Sat AMs... For that you don't need much. Just warm water or your toes will freeze...LOL

afitzwater
02-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Text me please I have a few questions for you

Fitz...if you are just goofing off and doing some shore fishing...hate to say it, but, um...Big 5 or WalMart. Get a 20lb spinning outfit and above all, make sure you get a California Fishing License. If I'm not sailing I think I might start hitting up some early morning shore fishing on Sat AMs... For that you don't need much. Just warm water or your toes will freeze...LOL

afitzwater
02-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Bump ...

specvjeff
02-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Are you looking for a baitcasting reel or a spinning reel?

Aaron
02-11-2013, 10:49 PM
Looking for an entry level fishing pole, just plan to fish off the pier and the beach, please let me know what you have. Thank you

Try Santee lakes!

afitzwater
02-11-2013, 10:52 PM
You're speaking French to me lol

I know nothing about fishing

Are you looking for a baitcasting reel or a spinning reel?

afitzwater
02-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Santee lakes sells poles???
Try Santee lakes!

specvjeff
02-11-2013, 11:14 PM
If you know nothing about fishing, I would suggest a spinning reel. They are much easier to use and are great for beginners. I would not go to Walmart for a set up. They sell stuff for freshwater when it comes to spinning reels. At least the one by my house does. I would try a store like Turners and get something that will hold up under use in saltwater.

Aaron
02-12-2013, 01:26 AM
Santee lakes sells poles???

Sorry shoulda been more specific. I meant you should try fishing at santee lakes, besides the beach.

http://www.santeelakes.com/fishing1.html

scubasteve
02-12-2013, 05:23 AM
Also remember a CA fishing lic is like almost $40 these days.....

ManTis
02-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Also remember a CA fishing lic is like almost $40 these days.....

$52 is a little more accurate.

AFUreef
02-12-2013, 09:49 AM
$52 is a little more accurate.
Yep after stamps and what not.

afitzwater
02-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the help guys, Are the spinning reels the ones that you just push the button and cast? lol sorry! Ill look into turners thank you. I went by sports authority and they had a ton, just really didn't know what to get. How much should I expect to spend? Im going to fish off the pier and you dont need a license to fish off the piers :)

Yolo
02-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Ok. Mark your calendar. The Fred Hall Fishing and Boating show comes to Del Mar in March every year. That is the place to buy decent gear, on sale, and ask tons of questions.

http://www.fredhall.com/pages/san_diego/sdexhibitor.php

I go to the one in Long Beach every year and pretty much get all my gear and tackle for the year up front. The one in Del Mar is about a third the size but certainly a great time. Big 5 and Turners Outdoors will be there. You can buy spinning reels that cost $1500.00 made of titanium steel or you can buy one that costs $15 and will rust after one season.

Make sure you go to that show! It is fun to walk around and check things out. They have dog jumping contests, new trucks, campers, boats to window shop. Pretty cool.

Go to the OB pier and walk around, check out what everyone is doing on a Saturday afternoon. That Mexican resturant at the end of the street has decent food and free parking. I do that all the time.

afitzwater
02-12-2013, 10:22 AM
what time we leaving? lol

Ok. Mark your calendar. The Fred Hall Fishing and Boating show comes to Del Mar in March every year. That is the place to buy decent gear, on sale, and ask tons of questions.

http://www.fredhall.com/pages/san_diego/sdexhibitor.php

I go to the one in Long Beach every year and pretty much get all my gear and tackle for the year up front. The one in Del Mar is about a third the size but certainly a great time. Big 5 and Turners Outdoors will be there. You can buy spinning reels that cost $1500.00 made of titanium steel or you can buy one that costs $15 and will rust after one season.

Make sure you go to that show! It is fun to walk around and check things out. They have dog jumping contests, new trucks, campers, boats to window shop. Pretty cool.

Yolo
02-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Wed March 6th I leave about 10:30 AM for Long Beach...LOL

afitzwater
02-12-2013, 11:29 AM
lol jerk

Yolo
02-12-2013, 12:26 PM
No I meant if you want to try and meet at the Fred Hall show I usually go to the San Diego show a couple times when it is here. Otherwise, we have a 1.5 Day Charter leaving March 15th fishing all day March 16th returning very early am the 17th. Those are great places to learn as you are bottom fishing mostly, everyone is laid back, not a giant tuna hustle. Soon as I can clear my Saturdays I will try some beach fishing. That is early AM up towards North County but it looks like I won't be clear till the end of March.

Yolo
02-12-2013, 03:14 PM
From http://www.fishingvideos.com/news

(Press Release) With more and more Americans hooked on fishing and other outdoor activities, the 2013 edition of the 67th annual Fred Hall Show – The Ultimate Outdoor Experience is expected to reel in tens of thousands of attendees. The week-long event, scheduled March 6-10, 2013 at the Long Beach Convention Center in Long Beach, Calif., will feature nearly 600 exhibitors (almost 10,000 products), over 400 seminars, and some of the most highly engaging, unique and interactive family-fun entertainment and activities found anywhere in the world.

The Fred Hall Show – The Ultimate Outdoor Experience – is the world’s largest consumer fishing show, the largest boat show in the Western United States, and California’s largest travel show. The show’s attendees will enjoy the Kid’s Fish Free Trout Pond, the popular Dock Dogs and Great American Duck Races, air gun and archery ranges, laser shot games, saltwater and freshwater mobile aquariums, three large touch tanks, a dry suit dive tank, and free fly fishing and casting lessons (including adult casting range and contest).

Also returning this year is precision knife thrower, Jack Dagger – The King of Fling – and The Sporting Chef, Scott Leysath, the world’s leading expert in cooking fish and game. Hundreds of seminars, panel discussions and demonstrations will also take the stage during the event, including the Ultimate Eastern Sierra Experience, The Ultimate Salt Water Experience and the Ultimate Bass Fishing Experience.

One of this year’s many dynamic displays will be a 427-pound , world class yellowfin tuna, caught off the coast of Mexico in December 2012. The tuna, which was caught on 130-pound fishing line, is also an all-tackle record. Mustad Hook Co. will present the winning fisherman, Guy Yocom, with a $1 million check during the Fred Hall Show in Long Beach.

http://fishingvideos.com/news/media/2009images/20130211-xl12-9-12petruescuscalesweb.jpg (http://fishingvideos.com/news/media/2009images/20130211-xl12-9-12petruescuscalesweb.jpg)A 445-pound yellowfin tuna, which is the largest fish ever caught (strict industry regulations disqualified that catch) will also be mounted and on display. If that isn’t fishy enough, show attendees will also get an up-close look at the 1,000-pound blue fin tuna caught off the coast of Nova Scotia in November 2012. Photo opportunities with all three catches will be available.

“Avid anglers are going to be very excited,” said Bart Hall, producer of The Fred Hall Show – The Ultimate Outdoor Experience. “This will be the first time many people, including myself, have seen fish this size.”

The show also promises celebrity entertainment, including Dave Marciano, captain of the boat Hard Merchandise, in National Geographic’s popular fishing reality series Wicked Tuna. Captain Marciano will be appearing and signing autographs at the Accurate Fishing booth on Friday and Saturday of the Long Beach show. Other new features in this year’s Fred Hall Show include a climbing wall in conjunction with the Sierra Recreation Center, and a display by famous extreme sports photographer Christian Pondella.

http://fishingvideos.com/news/media/2009images/20130211-barthallytbyjacknilsenweb.jpg (http://fishingvideos.com/news/media/2009images/20130211-barthallytbyjacknilsenweb.jpg)For Hall, the show is all about getting families back into the great outdoors. “Outdoor activities can be enjoyed by everyone,” Hall said. “This show is about promoting outdoor recreation and we are getting more kids and families involved. Our goal is to keep them going outside – enjoying hiking, fishing, boating, camping, diving, hunting and climbing.”

The number of Americans enjoying the outdoors has increased over the last few years. More Americans hunted, fished and watched wildlife in 2011 than five years earlier, according to the latest statistics released by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.

Here are some fast facts from the Agency’s final 2011 National Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife-Associated Recreation, which was released in late December 2012:

• More than 90 million U.S. residents 16-years old and older participated in some form of
wildlife-related recreation in 2011; that is up three percent from five years earlier. The
increase was primarily among those who fished and hunted.

• Wildlife recreationists spent $144.7 billion in 2011 on their activities,
which equated to one percent of the Gross Domestic Product. Of the total amount spent, $49.5 billion was trip-related, $70.4 billion was spent on equipment, and $24.8 billion was spent on other items such as licenses, land leasing and ownership.

• The number of sportspersons rose four percent over the last five years. The data showed
that 33.1 million people fished, 13.7 million hunted, and 71.8 million participated in at
least one type of wildlife-watching activity such as observing, feeding or photographing
wildlife.

One big change in the outdoor recreation industry is that more women are now involved in previously male-driven outdoor activities such as fishing. For example, there were 8.9 million female anglers in the United States in 2011, compared to 7.6 million in 2006.
Sports and outdoor activities, such as fishing, can cross all generations, said Hall.

http://fishingvideos.com/news/media/2009images/20130211-barthallbyroeckerweb.jpg (http://fishingvideos.com/news/media/2009images/20130211-barthallbyroeckerweb.jpg)“After my father died 12 years ago, I came to the show that day and I had dozens of people come up to me and tell me ‘I caught my first fish at the show and my son caught his first fish at the show.’”

“When I fish, I release most of what I catch,” Hall added. “The ones I keep I eat. That’s the idea. There’s nothing quite as good as catching your own fish and cooking it. If you want fresh sashimi you could catch it, filet it and eat it right there, fresh out of the ocean.”

Hall was only 1-year old when his late father, Fred, launched the first of the Fred Hall Shows in 1946 at Gilmore Stadium in Los Angeles. Back then, the show was even popular among “Hollywood” cowboys such as John Wayne and Roy Rogers, and cowgirl/actress Dale Evans. Much has changed since then, including the industry.

“There has been a lot of consolidation,” Hall said. “But there are still a lot of great companies out there that are involved. So many people in this industry love the outdoors and that passion is still driving even the biggest companies.”

All of the proceeds from the Fred Hall Show – The Ultimate Outdoor Experience, are donated to support the fishing and boating industries, including protecting angler access and opportunities and clean water initiatives.

One big change in the outdoor recreation industry is that more women are now involved in previously male-driven outdoor activities such as fishing. For example, there were 8.9 million female anglers in the United States in 2011, compared to 7.6 million in 2006.
Sports and outdoor activities, such as fishing, can cross all generations, said Hall.

“After my father died 12 years ago, I came to the show that day and I had dozens of people come up to me and tell me ‘I caught my first fish at the show and my son caught his first fish at the show.

“When I fish, I release most of what I catch,” Hall added. “The ones I keep I eat. That’s the idea. There’s nothing quite as good as catching your own fish and cooking it. If you want fresh sashimi you could catch it, filet it and eat it right there, fresh out of the ocean.”

Hall was only one year old when his late father, Fred, launched the first of the Fred Hall Shows in 1946 at Gilmore Stadium in Los Angeles. Back then, the show was popular among Hollywood cowboys such as John Wayne and Roy Rogers, and cowgirl/actress Dale Evans. Much has changed since then, including the industry.

“There has been a lot of consolidation,” Hall said. “But there are still a lot of great companies out there that are involved. So many people in this industry love the outdoors and that passion is still driving even the biggest companies.”

All of the proceeds from the Fred Hall Show – The Ultimate Outdoor Experience, are donated to support the fishing and boating industries, including protecting angler access and opportunities and clean water initiatives.

About The Fred Hall Show – The Ultimate Outdoor Experience

The Fred Hall Show will be held March 6-10, 2013 at the Long Beach Convention Center located at 300 East Ocean Blvd, Long Beach, CA 90802. Admission to this year’s show is: Adults: $15; Seniors: (62 and over) $14; Children 15 and under: Free with a paid
adult; Active Military with ID: Free. For show hours and directions log onto www.FredHall.com (http://www.FredHall.com)

lot3_99
02-12-2013, 05:40 PM
you can fish off any Cali state pier without a license's as well, I go fishing almost every weekend, if your going to be doing pier and shore being a beginner like someone said before Walmart would be the place to go anything more than that would be a waste of your money.

afitzwater
02-13-2013, 10:53 AM
let me know next time you go if you dont mind me tagging along, thanks

you can fish off any Cali state pier without a license's as well, I go fishing almost every weekend, if your going to be doing pier and shore being a beginner like someone said before Walmart would be the place to go anything more than that would be a waste of your money.

afitzwater
02-14-2013, 10:17 AM
bump!!!!

inurmind
02-15-2013, 09:46 AM
I agree with Jeff on the spinning reel and with Turners Outdoors being a good spot. The Department of Fish and game is just down the street form there too on Ruffin south of Balboa. You are right about pier fishing not needing a license but if you want to cast from the shore... spend the $ so you're not not spending $$$ on a ticket and don't forget the ocean enhancement. Didn't know about the Fred Hall show, looks cool though-might see ya there!

Yolo
03-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Heading up to the Fred Hall show in Long Beach today. Deals on decent beginner stuff all over the place. I just had a trip canceled for the 16th so if you want to get a fishing license and do some early AM shore fishing up at Torrey Pines State Beach on Sunday the 17th I can meet you there and go over some stuff.

I saw a decent Spinning outfit Rod/Reel with line on it at Big5 for $29.99 so decent stuff is around for beginners.

afitzwater
03-06-2013, 10:37 AM
mike text me, im game for the 17th, I have some questions for you

Yolo
03-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Change in Plans...after going to the Fred Hall show I found discounted 1/2 Day fishing trip tickets in the Friends of Rollo Booth...so it looks like I might be jumping on a 1/2 Day boat instead going out of Seaforth Landing. Of course you are welcome to get on the charter as it is open to the public. They provide bait, have an open galley. I can bring you a loaner rod and give you an on the water lesson, hands on. This is a short trip and you can buy a 1 day fishing license if you don't want to buy the full year, California license. This is probably the best way to really see if you have the Sea Legs, like it, etc...

I will still go shore fishing. I did pick up my CA Annual License at the Fish and Game Booth so I'm good to go.

Don't forget to check out the Fred Hall Show in Del Mar later this Month...think its the week of March 18th if I recall.

I can text you later...

phillyblunt
03-08-2013, 09:02 AM
21-25 March. Going to be fun. Might load up on some blanks.

Yolo
03-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Banks are avail at a decent price first day or if you have a relationship with the store. I sometimes see good prices at Day at the Docks (April) but mostly those are blems and Joey at Squidco can beat that price. I'm getting a rod wrapped for my bigger gun, the Makaira 20 II...the 2x4 I got last year is too soft.

I did find some reals for Afitz :lol:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/yolo_062004/reels_zpsf58cfb52.jpg

afitzwater
03-08-2013, 11:04 AM
and whats funny? ill catch jaws with that pink reel, Im not scared! Hope you bought me one!

Banks are avail at a decent price first day or if you have a relationship with the store. I sometimes see good prices at Day at the Docks (April) but mostly those are blems and Joey at Squidco can beat that price. I'm getting a rod wrapped for my bigger gun, the Makaira 20 II...the 2x4 I got last year is too soft.

I did find some reals for Afitz :lol:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/yolo_062004/reels_zpsf58cfb52.jpg

Yolo
03-08-2013, 11:12 AM
You know, those are actually used for Ice Fishing on little itty bitty poles. Funny stuff. Every now and then a guy will bring one on a big boat and get spooled or schooled on one for laughs. I guess the point is its not money to limit your engagement. You can start out with low cost gear and see what you like, dislike. There are some decently priced quality reels out there. Even these will catch fish, can't say a tuna, but maybe a small mackeral? :)

afitzwater
03-11-2013, 09:28 AM
hit the ob pier yesterday/lastnight, caught my first fish ever :) surf perch, actually caught two of them! but no it wasnt with a pink pole!

afitzwater
03-11-2013, 09:36 AM
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq238/Anthonyfitzwater/photo-12_zps8aabea93.jpg

Yolo
03-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Those are actually very decent size. Hope you ate them! Good Job...there you go. See how easy it is. Nice cold fresh water right now so those should be decent eating, deep fried...mmmmm

afitzwater
03-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Bump still looking for poles, reels