PDA

View Full Version : Snails ?????

David M
02-10-2013, 08:46 AM
I set up a low tech 40 gallon fwpt about 2 years ago, poor choices and minimal maintenence have reduced it to a very dense algae farm ;) I can live with that, still enjoy having the fish. Anyway over a year ago I managed to eradicate the original snail infestation, small round guys. I relentlessly killed them off until they were gone and they stayed gone. I have not added anything to this tank in at least 6-8 months; no fish, plants or live foods of any kind. All of a sudden there are hundreds of small conical shaped snails, not the same species as before. Huh ? Never had them before.

WHERE did they come from ???????

Pipedesign619
03-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Probably lying dormant or were being killed off by the other dominant snail population. Must have came in on some plants is my guess. That's how I got my snails!!

SoCalBoo
03-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Happened to me before, although it wasn't the conical ones that came in. It was the round one. A small clown loach or another snail eater might work. A 40g might hold the clown for a year or so...

belladoula
03-07-2013, 07:03 PM
I am new to aquariums, but I am dealing with my second "swarm" of snails. The first time I saw them, I removed 2 from the tank and gave them to a local fish store and 4 to my father-in-law's outdoor koi pond. After my last weekly water change, there were suddenly 13 snails climbing everywhere in my tank. The same thing happened last time - they appeared only after a water change. So I wonder if they are deep in my gravel? I don't know enough about them except that they are unappealing to me and I prefer not to have them in my tank. I don't like to kill things, so I am thankful my father-in-law has agreed to tank any that we find.

SoCalBoo
03-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Well, if you don't like a predator method, then just yank out and give away. Snails are usually a little leery of light, so wait until after the lights go out, then harvest.