PDA

View Full Version : tangs?

plugpitch
05-26-2004, 06:09 PM
Does anyone know if I could put a kole-like tang (i posted it a while back but nobody knew what it was) and a yellow or purple tang in the same tank? My tank is a 125 with some live rock.

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=829

Alexsd
05-26-2004, 06:31 PM
I have one purple tang and a sohal tang in my 150g with no problems

MarLooney
05-27-2004, 01:27 PM
it's only a good idea if they're added at the same time.

jetor
05-27-2004, 04:51 PM
My Kole, Yellow, and Naso all get along just fine

plugpitch
05-27-2004, 05:20 PM
would tangs be more aggressive towards tangs that are similar in body shape?

bler
05-27-2004, 05:56 PM
yes, if a tang has been in a tank for a while and you tried adding another fish, yes he will chase the new guy around, espically if it is another tang/surgeonfish..

I had a yellow tang in my tank for a few months, then tried adding a powder blue, only to have the powder blue get ich from being stressed getting chased around all day and I had to give him away, I healed him of ich a few times, then put him back in only to be stressed and get ich yet again, a viscious cycle....

soooo, yes it is best to add them all at once, because if you have one and it has acclimated itself as the sole surgeonfish, he will most definatley not like a newcomer, but like everything in nature, there are always exceptions and extenuiating circumstances.. like if you get one that is substancially bigger, it would help him defend himself and instead of being the small weakly newcomer thats easily picked on

jetor
05-28-2004, 05:49 AM
I agree with bler,

As long as the new comer is the same size or smaller he will get picked on.....if he is bigger he has a better chance of standing up for homself and stopping the violence :)

In my exprience tangs that are different body shapes tend to stop picking on one and other relatively quick (1 day or two) but this could have alot to do with the fact that my tanks have been on the large side.

In short if the bio load would not overwhelm the tank add them at the same time, and please QT them before hand as tangs can be ick magnets if the conditions aren't real good.

JAsen