PDA

View Full Version : Thread titles for "wanted" section... (ADMIN)

JohnnyAirtime
09-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Mike or Chad...

Not sure if it's something worthy of your time or not... but, often when I look into or do searches on items, I notice that it's not easy to tell when an item is in the "wanted" or "for sale" section. For example, when viewing new posts... the thread forum will show up, solely as "livestock" or "equipment". When you have both a for-sale section and a wanted section for those two exact same forum titles... it's not easy to tell the difference without a click on the title.

How about labeling the wanted sections, with "Wanted - Livestock" and "Wanted - Equipment". That way, the for-sale threads will remain as "Equipment" and "Livestock" and the wanted sections would show as mentioned above?!

It'll sure help the 'new posts' and when doing a search.

bladedrummer
09-03-2012, 01:36 PM
I second this. In the "current threads" section I can never tell when something is for sale or wanted.

specvjeff
09-03-2012, 09:03 PM
That's what the prefix is for. I'll see if we can make that a mandatory field to be filled in vs. an optional field.

Update: Brought up making it mandatory. Will update with an answer.

JohnnyAirtime
09-04-2012, 07:07 AM
That's what the prefix is for. I'll see if we can make that a mandatory field to be filled in vs. an optional field.

Update: Brought up making it mandatory. Will update with an answer.

I totally get the "prefix", and why people should be using it... but, not everyone does. Thus it leaves the problem wide open.

It's easier, to just adjust the thread title name rather then have to steer the user by making something mandatory.... Whichever way it's corrected will help.

JohnnyAirtime
09-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Here's another reason to not simply make the thread prefix mandatory, but to change the thread titles instead;

When you subscribe to the threads, they look the same (same title, no way to differentiate that they are wanted or for sale);

specvjeff
09-04-2012, 02:39 PM
That's why I'm trying to see if we can make the prefix mandatory. It would be the easiest way to solve this issue.

Jeff
San Diego Reefs Moderator
Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

specvjeff
09-04-2012, 02:40 PM
I can tell the difference in what you posted. If you look to the far right you can see the prefix's that indicate for sale, wanted. On top of that you can see where the posts are located which should tell you if they are for sale or wanted.

Jeff

JohnnyAirtime
09-04-2012, 10:12 PM
That's why I'm trying to see if we can make the prefix mandatory. It would be the easiest way to solve this issue.

I can tell the difference in what you posted. If you look to the far right you can see the prefix's that indicate for sale, wanted. On top of that you can see where the pots are located which should tell you if they are for sale or wanted.

"easiest" is a matter of opinion I guess... Because it's so easy to change a section title, then it is to force users to use the prefix properly... or, to force them at all. I know it's harder to write a script/code to make it mandatory. I don't think Vbulletin has the ability to "toggle" the option on or off, or if it even has the option(s) to make it mandatory.

Also... there's a couple "prefixes" that you have to know, where they belong (in which topic) to know if your looking at "wanted" or "for sale". Some are self-explanatory... but some are not, not for everyone anyway. And, it takes a person to know to look over at the topic's description for your idea to be "fool" proof. Again, in my opinion... not the easiest for all the users.

Remember, not even all the users know there's a "wanted" AND A "for sale" section. I often see some posting in the wrong section, simply because they didn't know the other one existed. Making them more descriptive in their header, would help that too.

Maybe a poll would help. ;)

specvjeff
09-04-2012, 10:24 PM
It's just a matter of reading the thread description whether you are the one creating a post or the one subscribed to the post. The information is already there. I'm sorry but I don't see what's missing.

JohnnyAirtime
09-06-2012, 07:08 AM
I second this. In the "current threads" section I can never tell when something is for sale or wanted.

Is there ANYONE else (non MODs) that have any thoughts on this? ...speak up!

poakley723
09-06-2012, 08:45 AM
I agree with Johnny. I know I have found myself looking in the wanted section after a search and not knowing it.

Adding "Wanted" to just that section would be nice to see.

I have no idea what it takes to change this but just my two cents.

BigAir
09-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Is there ANYONE else (non MODs) that have any thoughts on this? ...speak up!

It just doesn't matter.

jason142
09-06-2012, 09:33 AM
I've never had an issue.

SDguy
09-06-2012, 09:41 AM
I've actually posted comments in FS threads thinking they were in the regular Reef Discussions forum :lol: Still didn't bother me, I just thought it was funny...

AFUreef
09-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Not a biggie for me.

fresh2120
09-06-2012, 11:22 AM
People should just pay attention....

! MOUNTAINS OUT OF MOLEHILLS !!!

Esco reef
09-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Its all good in the hood with me...

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

slicktoppomp
09-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Yea no big deal. Probably not worth their time.

JohnnyAirtime
09-06-2012, 12:09 PM
:lol: ... I guess there's only a few meticulous ones in the group. Or, my OCD is in overtime! :D

It's not a BIG DEAL to me either... but it's an EASY fix, so why not?!

BigAir
09-06-2012, 01:44 PM
:lol: ... I guess there's only a few meticulous ones in the group. Or, my OCD is in overtime! :D

It's not a BIG DEAL to me either... but it's an EASY fix, so why not?!

I for one am plenty meticulous, it must be the OCD.

RussM
09-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Just change the name of the Livestock and Equipment sub-forums under the Wanted / Livestock & Equipment Wanted forum to Livestock Wanted and Equipment Wanted respectively, and be done with it.

poakley723
09-06-2012, 03:00 PM
I have a vote for aking the title of the post saying wanted.

I like to check on here throughout the day on the reacent posts. Its not a big deal to me but if the WANTED posts said wanted it would be cool.

drainbamage
09-06-2012, 03:46 PM
ive never found it to be an issue- worst case if I'm using a *whats new* search and click a wanted thats actually a for sale (or vice versa) I find myself out maybe 5 seconds? Its never been something that impacted me.

specvjeff
09-06-2012, 07:36 PM
OK we are working on making a change. We have to look at what is easiest. We tried making a change already and it negatively effected the site. Some weren't able to start threads. I'll update this thread when the change has been made.

JohnnyAirtime
09-06-2012, 10:18 PM
OK we are working on making a change. We have to look at what is easiest. We tried making a change already and it negatively effected the site. Some weren't able to start threads. I'll update this thread when the change has been made.

Cool... Eager to see a positive outcome!

specvjeff
09-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Please try to stay on topic. If you don't like what someone said, please handle it professionally and through a private message. When people start taking shots at others and arguing in threads, it takes away from the original purpose of the thread. It can also lead to a once useful thread being closed. Thank you.

Jeff

seareef
09-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Sorry for the late response. Iv'e been working 15hr days the last week or so.

I have notice that some browsers don't view the prefix option. If I make it mandatory, members with that issue can't post within that forum. I'm working on this. I will let you know.

Chad

JohnnyAirtime
09-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Sorry for the late response. Iv'e been working 15hr days the last week or so.

I have notice that some browsers don't view the prefix option. If I make it mandatory, members with that issue can't post within that forum. I'm working on this. I will let you know.

Chad

Cool Chad... sent you a PM to clarify, as the mandatory prefix "thing" wasn't my idea. Changing the TITLE of the FORUM SUBJECT was my idea.

........................How about labeling the wanted sections, with "Wanted - Livestock" and "Wanted - Equipment". That way, the for-sale threads will remain as "Equipment" and "Livestock" and the wanted sections would show as mentioned above?!..............

JohnnyAirtime
09-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Yo Chad'ster.... thought I'd circle back on this back-burner topic. ;)

seareef
09-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Johnny,

Changed the wanted section to say (Livestock - Wanted (http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?7-Livestock-Wanted) & Equipment - Wanted (http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?8-Equipment-Wanted)). What do you think?

Chad

Yo Chad'ster.... thought I'd circle back on this back-burner topic. ;)

JohnnyAirtime
09-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Johnny,

Changed the wanted section to say (Livestock - Wanted (http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?7-Livestock-Wanted) & Equipment - Wanted (http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?8-Equipment-Wanted)). What do you think?

Chad

.... I love it!!! So easy to see now, in all screens... searching, viewing...etc.etc. And no need to worry about users using the "prefix" box. I see so many NOT using it... so this will aid in that/those problems.