PDA

View Full Version : Hello SD Reefs

Navyaero
08-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Hello everyone i am a New member here and I am just about to start my first salt water tank. This tank is going to be for my Daughter who has Autism. The doctor said the vibrant colors of the tank should be good therapy for herI just ordered a Red Sea Max 130D. I am curious to know what your all's thoughts on this tank are? I did some research and allot of people say this is the best all in one that can be bought. I would like for any help that you could provide me with setting the tank up once i receive it. I do plan to go with coral and some Clownfish to start.

DaveMorris
08-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Just build up your livestock slowly. Make sure you are patient and don't add too much too fast.

And welcome to SDR

Goldfish World
08-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Welcome to San Diego Reefs!!
And yes salt water aquarium is the best therapy, it's also calming and very relaxing save you $$ paying shrinks and the whole family can enjoy it.
Like Dave said patient is the key and we are here to help you with the process.

paulyboy18
08-29-2012, 02:43 PM
+1 ^ :welcome:

50 cube
08-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Welcome, you will get all of the support & info you need here. Where are you located?

Vince
08-29-2012, 03:03 PM
I have a red sea max 130--great choice for a first tank! Great idea for your daughter, if you need any help everyone here will chime in--welcome to SDReefs!!!

jessegarcia28
08-29-2012, 03:11 PM
:welcome:to Sdreefs
& you will love the your Rsm 130d
ime one of the best aio tanks out there
i had the 130 & the 250 & was very happy.with both of.them
for alot more 411 on these tanks you can always check out reefsanctuary.com
they have a Red Sea Max club
gl & have fun

Yolo
08-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Welcome...might want to start with a Fish Only tank. Here on SanDiegoReefs you can find a used tank (someone breaking down their system) and get their live sand. Maybe a 50-60 Gallon tank with Live rock (usually available here) or fake corals is fine. You will find a very bright variety of colors with some of the basic fish (Damsels) that are low cost and as your interest grows in the hobby (addiction) your interest and skillset will grow accordingly.

I don't know what area you live in, but a lot of use get our saltwater courtesy of Scripps Institute of Oceanograpy, at the base of their La Jolla pier. We go on off hours or early AM and fill our barrels and 5g jugs from a spigot they provide. If you get a system with existing Live Sand, some Live Rock, and use Scripps water, you should be on a decent track to get a Saltwater tank up and running in no time.

Good Luck!

Mike

Navyaero
08-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Welcome, you will get all of the support & info you need here. Where are you located?

I live in tierrasanta in Navy base housing

Elias
08-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Welcome to the forum, if you ever need any help I'm I'm Murphy canyon (aero ridge) in Tierra Santa as well.

h20poloman
08-29-2012, 08:34 PM
welcome to the addiction....definitely feel free to fire away questions and there are also plenty of threads with a lot of Q&A in the forums. The search feature works much better than before to help pull this info as well. Come on out with the fam to our beach clean up and bbq on Sep 9th, all are welcome and it's a great opportunity to meet others that enjoy the hobby

bladedrummer
08-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Welcome! I'm starting out as well and I can assure you, you'll get all the support you could possibly want here.

Ah, +1 Patience is key =)

Navyaero
08-30-2012, 10:53 AM
welcome to the addiction....definitely feel free to fire away questions and there are also plenty of threads with a lot of Q&A in the forums. The search feature works much better than before to help pull this info as well. Come on out with the fam to our beach clean up and bbq on Sep 9th, all are welcome and it's a great opportunity to meet others that enjoy the hobby

Thank you. Ery much for the offer however I was recently in a motorcycle accident and I am still on crutches which don't go well with sand lol perhaps I will be able to attend future events it sounds like a lot of fun

jada1
08-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Welcome to sdr ..goodluck take Ur time and ask questions as you go..