PDA

View Full Version : Coralline Algea

Vince16
08-29-2012, 06:16 AM
I have had my 180g reef up and running for well over 7 months rnow and was wondering how long it usually takes to see significant coralline growth in the tank and on the rock. Corals are doing great and all my levels have been stable for some time. Is there anything I can dose that would increase the growth rate?

Vince.

jt_milstead
08-29-2012, 06:17 AM
Whats your calcium level?

JohnnyAirtime
08-29-2012, 06:17 AM
Kalkwasser. It'll grow it like no other.

Auggie
08-29-2012, 07:55 AM
I'm curious as to your solution as well.

I will be starting my new tank with base rock (Pukani) and although the overwhelming recommendation is to add true "live" rock to it, I'm trying to avoid that if possible to prevent unwanted parasites and nuisance stuff but concerned in how to introduce coralline algae properly without waiting a year or more for it to populate from introduced coral and invertebrates.

reefer38
08-29-2012, 08:48 AM
They also have a calcium additive called purple-up, it will kick start some coraline growth as well

DaveMorris
08-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Coraline algea likes lots of light and lots of flow directly on it. Your calcium should be in the 420 - 460 range and you need something to "seed" it. Live rock that has some on it or you can get cultures of purple and green coraline from places like Indo Pacific Sea Farms. ipsf.com

scubasteve
08-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Purple-up +1 i use this every once in a while- everything is purple in my tank! Lol! Now i am fighting Coraline growth on the front glass! Lol ;p it definitely seems to work.

jt_milstead
08-29-2012, 09:51 AM
I have used PurpleUp in the past, but noticed algae issues while using it. What I would do is get a small piece of live rock with Coraline on it. Put it in the flow of a powerhead, and you will notice it spread.

DaveMorris
08-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Read what's in Purple Up! and you will see that there is a much cheaper way to dose the same thing. :)

scubasteve
08-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Dave knows his stuff! He uses raw chemicals.

JohnnyAirtime
08-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Coraline algea likes lots of light and lots of flow directly on it. ...........

I used to think the same thing --> Lots of light. However, I've got more coraline in my (black) overflows, and INSIDE my skimmer... then I ever thought possible. There's almost no light in those places, so... what gives?!

jada1
08-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Maintain Ur alk and calcium ..or if u want I can give u a small rock full of coraline that's how I started my buddy now his is covered like mine..

Vince16
08-30-2012, 09:46 AM
It shows just how many good people there are on this forum. I asked a simple question and in return people offer to donate some of their rock. Despite the beautiful view in the morning when I come downstairs, the people in this hobby and especially in this location really make the hobby enjoyable.

Cal is at 440 so I'm expecting to see maintained growth in the next few weeks. Thanks for all the help so far everyone.

Vince.