PDA

View Full Version : Sump question

antoneoh
08-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Hi all, newbie here. This is my first tank. So I have a sump question. I have a 40 gal tank and its not drilled. I wanted to add a 20 gal sump. Since its not drilled would I was thinking of putting a magpump in my DT and a return pump in the sump. Is this the route to go or is there a better way to do it besides drilling? TIA

slicktoppomp
08-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Hang on tank overflow box. Putting a pump in the display tank to pump water to the sump isn't a good idea.

antoneoh
08-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks, I'll look into that.

50 cube
08-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Yeah, BAAAAD idea, much potential for overflowing the sump.

Bogg
08-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Is your display glass or acrylic? If your planning on keeping the tank for a while drill it for an overflow.

antoneoh
08-28-2012, 03:41 PM
It's glass. I already put LS and LR in it. Once I get a better understand of things I'll definitely go bigger and do things right.

Vince
08-28-2012, 03:47 PM
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/newbie/images/tn_image001_jpg.jpg this pic might help a little..

anothereefer
08-28-2012, 06:04 PM
You can still get your tank drilled with the LS and rock in there..There's a few people here that'll drill it for an awesome price!.The next time you do a water change would be the prime time to drill the tank. BUT you really gotta figure out how things will route and have all the parts needed to put everything back In working order otherwise you won't be able to fill your tank back up. I'm gonna be doing the same thing in the next week or two just trying to gather all my parts and plumbing so it'll go without any big problems..I'd rather have more plumbing parts leftover than coming on the boards trying to get what I need!..what ever I have left over..I can easily pass it on to another reefer..

ed