PDA

View Full Version : Needed repair on GE Mongram Refrigerator

reefrf
08-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Anyone out there that can do necessary repairs on my refrigerator? The frig is running at 51 degrees. The freezer is at 18. Please let me know if you can help.

Ron

DaveMorris
08-17-2012, 09:39 PM
I have had great service from Stephen C. at Appliance rescue. 800-277-5426

We have a Jenn-Aire and ours did the same thing. Freezer was still fine, but the frig was getting warm. Turned out to be the heating element in the freezer coils. It periodically heats up the area around the coils to melt the ice build up. Air blows from the freezer across the coils and into the fridge. When it is blocked up with ice due to non thawing, the airflow can't get through. The result is no cold air in the fridge. Stephen told me what it was, ordered the part for me and told me how to fix it. It was simple and he saved me the cost of him doing the work.

By the way...Almost all of the refrigerators out there are made by Whirlpool and sold under different names.

h20poloman
08-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Ron, if you haven't checked already...do a google and youtube search on the model and issue. I'm about as handy as a sock but I've been able to trouble shoot a selection of things by going that route first.

SDguy
08-18-2012, 05:32 AM
I'm about as handy as a sock

:lol:

seareef
08-18-2012, 05:38 AM
Possible stuck defrost timer. If you need parts go to http://www.appliancepartscenter.com/ - ask for John (not sure if he still works there).

<tbody>
314 S. Johnson Ave
El Cajon
CA
(619) 562-3506

</tbody>

Check the condenser coils. Make sure they are clean and the air around them is not obstructed. Also make sure the condenser fan is running.

reefrf
08-18-2012, 07:17 AM
Guys.....thanks for your help. I'll try some of those phone numbers you gave. I checked it this morning hoping that a door may have been left open sometime in the afternoon yesterday & the coils froze over. The good news is the temp is NOT higher, but dropped 5 degrees to 46 in the refrigerator. The setting is at 37. Hopefully I can find someone on the weekend to take a look.

Ron

reefrf
08-19-2012, 07:52 AM
So I powered it down & opened all of the doors for 3 hours in hopes that the coils were frozen over. Next morning (now) Temp is at -3 & 39 degrees in Refrigerator!! :) Hopefully she'll hold temperature before I start adding food back into the freezer! Thanks for your help & responses!!

Ron