PDA

View Full Version : More noon questions.

bladedrummer
08-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Hello everyone, for the next episode of noob questions:

Deep Sand Bed VS. Miracle Mud for the HOB refugium.

I have a HOB Refugium (this one (http://www.freshmarine.com/cpr-aquafuge-2-pump-small.html)) and some people argue that miracle mud is the best solution others say that it really doesn't work and that a DSB is the best option.

So I'm asking for some input on this.

Thank you.

Edit: Typo on title.

baldbean
08-05-2012, 03:44 PM
I have a tall fuge behind my tank and I only have a bi of rock and chaeto in it, no sand or mud. If I had to choose between the two though I think I would go with sand. Some people say the mud doesn't really work. I have no experience with it so that's just my $0.02.

DaveMorris
08-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Either one will work fine. You just want a medium that is of the right particle size to facilitate worms, stars, etc. having a way to move around. Personaly I would do oolite sand because the Miracle Mud is very expensive.

bladedrummer
08-05-2012, 04:12 PM
I see, thanks for the info. I'm still undecided. I might start out with the sand and go from there. I'm getting the Nature's Ocean "Live Sand" so I might just add that and seed it with live rock.

anothereefer
08-06-2012, 12:54 AM
I have a DIY hob fuge made from an aquaclear10 filter with a few tablespoons of live sand from my display tank and there's pods the size of number two pencil eraser heads in there!..I see my clowns and what ever else that can catch them eat'em up without a prob!!..As an experiment I have a squished clove of garlic that I let marinate for about 3-5 hours. It's helped my clowns sh*t ALOT better!!..

specvjeff
08-06-2012, 01:08 AM
You can use regular live sand without any trouble. Just use a finer grade sand.