PDA

View Full Version : The sound of perseverance: Assorted n00b questions.

bladedrummer
08-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm not a brand new member on this forum but I've been lurking for months.

After getting all excited about starting my own saltwater tank and getting the vast majority of my equipment, I ran into a few economical set-backs and I had to put the whole project on hold. It was really hard not to just give it up altogether and sell everything. But here I am!

I've managed to recoup and now I'm looking to start my tank and in need of advice. On some things I already know what I want to do, on others, I have no clue. Especially on the logistics of the whole process.

Tank overlook:

a) 75 gallon saltwater tank.
b) Looking to establish a deep sand bed and I already know what kind of sand I want, how much and I have the budget for it.
c) Probably going to start out as FOWLR for now.
d) Want/need live rock, probably around 1.5lbs/gallon. I might buy that and the sand from one of the sponsors on here.
e) HOB refugium (I know it's not the best, but it's what I have). I have some miracle mud and rubble in it from the previous owner, is it useless by now?
f) Skimmer, pump, powerheads, wave maker, phosban reactor (got it for 10 bucks so why not?), heaters, thermometer, assorted water test kits, a bucket of salt and awesome LED lighting I bought in a group buy through JohnnyAirtime (amazing member of this community btw);
g) RO/DI unit;
h) I'm probably forgetting some stuff, you'll have to bear with me.

I'll explain where I am:

1) I have my RO/DI set up and ready to. I need to plug it into my garden hose and test out if it works. Filters are new, I replaced them all, TDS meter has new batteries;
2) I have the aquarium and stand in my living room, clean but not super-mega-sparkling clean;
3) I have a few containers for RODI water, not many tbh;
4) I have no idea what I'm doing next.
5) Idea: clean everything, get some RO/DI water going and mix the water in a mid-sized plastic container I have or directly into the aquarium, buy the sand and rock and cycle the tank. (ofc this is gonna be completely wrong :D )

If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.

P.S.: I probably need some chaeto too. Maybe buy new miracle mud for the HOB ref.

bladedrummer
08-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Reserved.

50 cube
08-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Where are yo located? I have chaeto for you, if your near Escondido I woul be happy to help you set it up.

XO PRESENTS
08-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Hello bud.. exactly what do you need advice for? Everyone on SDR will help!!!

bladedrummer
08-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Cool, thanks for the offer on the chaeto. I'm in SD (Genesee ave.).

Well this is my first concern: should I mix the water and salt directly in the tank? There is nothing in it right now. I don't have enough space for a big enough container to mix it separately all at once... I was thinking hook everything up (refugium, pumps and all) and then put RODI water and the salt in it and let it run until the salt is dissolved completely and I have the right salinity, then add the live sand and rock. I do see that this could create quite a bit of issues. Maybe put live rock and sand together with the RODI water and then the salt?

As you can see, I'm confused about this step. :D

50 cube
08-03-2012, 09:35 PM
That would work. Only drawback would be installing the sand, could create cloudy water for a couple days till it settles down. Again, mixing in the tank would work. Mix, install sand, wait until it clears then add rock.

XO PRESENTS
08-03-2012, 09:35 PM
If you got the time.. and buckets... I would just go to Scripts for the moment.. starting off... then if you want to mix..that would be great... I am sure others will give you better advice.. but I have been through it too many times... good luck.. feel free to PM me brother...

50 cube
08-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Three ways to go about it. Mix then use scripps, start with scripps then mix, go scripps from the start. I've always used the first option. Oops, fourth option, start with mix & stick with it.

DaveMorris
08-03-2012, 09:40 PM
You will want to hold off on the chaeto and stuff like that until the tank has been up and running for a while. Chaeto will need nutrients and if the tank is run correctly it will take a little while to get it going. Just be patient. That is the best piece of advice I can give.

50 cube
08-03-2012, 09:43 PM
+1 on what Dave said, reef keeping IS like race car driving, the faster you go, the harder you crash.

bladedrummer
08-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Alright, well I'm not about going fast. I have patience. I'm going to mix everything in my tank and then add sand, then the rock.

Question: should I go for a lower salinity at first because the sand and rock might drive it higher than I want it to be?

Or should I just do 1.025-1.026 from the get go and then add sand and rock on top of that?

Thanks for all the info!!! I appreciate the help!

50 cube
08-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Nope, set the salinity correct from the start

DaveMorris
08-03-2012, 10:13 PM
And don't forget when you add the sand and rock that it will displace some of the water.

50 cube
08-03-2012, 10:16 PM
When are you going to start setting up?

bladedrummer
08-03-2012, 10:27 PM
If my RO/DI unit works as intended (I just replaced the filters and membrane) I want to start tomorrow. I might go and buy the sand and keep it in my apartment while I mix the water and set everything up and then go get the rocks early next week.

reef hobby
08-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Mix only.. no scripps... do things right the first time... if your are cheap in this hobby you will not prosper.... go slow and stay mid grade price...

50 cube
08-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Can't help to wonder that if reefers that lived inland moved to the coast they would change their tune?

specvjeff
08-04-2012, 12:17 AM
I live 15 mins from Scripps and still mix.

Jeff
San Diego Reefs Moderator
Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

leonel619
08-04-2012, 05:17 AM
+1 on mixing.. this way you don't have to freak out or worry every time Scripps is shut down or it rains or whatever.

dwrig
08-04-2012, 08:00 AM
for stability you should consider placing rock (at least base) before adding sand. and maybe set it on egg crate. additional stability to the rock pile can be had by threading the rock on acrylic rods. re: water - as you probably know from lurking there are many opinions and experiences related to scripps vs mixed. since you're starting a fowlr scripps shouldn't be an issue. and if they shutdown or you doubt the water quality due to rain or whatever, you can always start mixing.

JohnnyAirtime
08-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Alright, well I'm not about going fast. I have patience. I'm going to mix everything in my tank and then add sand, then the rock.

Question: should I go for a lower salinity at first because the sand and rock might drive it higher than I want it to be?

Or should I just do 1.025-1.026 from the get go and then add sand and rock on top of that?

Thanks for all the info!!! I appreciate the help!

What's up Senor?! Awesome that your finally getting the ball rolling on your install!
Since we're neighbors, I'm happy to help ya get your feet wet (not literally - you get the point).

For the first time;
Why don't you and I go down to SCRIPPS, and get you 80+ gallons. No mixing or salt needed. We can get the water in one shot. I usually pick up 180gallons at a time. I'll bring it back to your place, and we can pump it directly into the tank. (BTW, I think you know... but I must say it again; I ONLY use SCRIPPS on my 240gal Reef, and all my tanks - never an issue)

Once your water is in, we'll rinse your sand and make sure it's good and clean before placing in the tank. An easy process, using a 5gal bucket and a garden hose. If the sand is old used sand, or new in the bag... it still needs to be rinsed. Once rinsed, we can drop it in the tank. Sure it'll be a bit cloudy at first, but it'll settle and you'll have peace of mind your sand went in properly.

Once you've got water, sand, and filters running... you can add rock. As much or as little as you want, when you want.... no pressure. Throw a couple chromis in the tank and wait for the tank to cycle itself. And/Or you can use some other liquids to push the cycle (it's what I had to do on an emergency 70gal quarantine).

Once setup per above. Use RO/DI to top off. AND, you'll know where SCRIPPS is, so water changes are a matter of grabbing some containers of water or mixing your own. Your call.

... either way, I'd be happy to help ya out!! PM me if your ready.

50 cube
08-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Wow, what a great offer!!! It's great to know that there is this kind of support out there

bladedrummer
08-04-2012, 03:21 PM
As usual I'm stunned by the amazing community here!!!

I actually rand into a problem with my RO membrane... I seem to have misplaced the fitting (o ring, gasket?) that goes between the cap and housing and apparently no one sells them. I went to every plumbing supply place I could think of but with no luck.

Thanks for all the support and amazing enthusiasm you showed!!!

specvjeff
08-05-2012, 01:37 AM
Who makes the RO unit?

Jeff

bladedrummer
08-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Kent Marne. It's exactly like this one (http://www.marinedepot.com/reverse-osmosis-deionization_kent_marine_rodi_maxxima-ap.html). I bought it used and replaced the filters and membrane. I think I misplaced that damned fitting though. Shame on me, I know...

specvjeff
08-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Contact Kent Marine. I'm pretty sure they'll send you what you need. They are under the Central Pet umbrella.

Jeff

bladedrummer
08-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Waiting on them to reply. I might go to this place called "San Diego Seal" (http://sandiegoseal.com/index.html). I was told that they can just custom make it for me if they don't carry it already. Problem is they're only open while I'm at work hahahaha. I'm probably taking Wednesday off anyway so I might check it out.

Auggie
08-13-2012, 07:26 AM
I am in roughly the same point in my beginning stages of this "hobby" and one thing that wasn't mentioned is curing your live rock; I'm not sure if there is a different set of procedures for FOWLR and reef aquariums or not but I can't imagine there would be.

Since it appears you do not have the luxury of space you will most likely have to cure your LR in your tank first.

It has been suggested not to cure them with the sand so as not to introduce any additional toxins into the fresh sand if possible. Curing live rock is a very odorous process from what I've gathered; adding a bag of carbon seems to help reduce that issue.

Curing LR appears to take several weeks and can be extended into several months, depending upon condition of rocks, water parameters, circulation, heat and other factors I'm simply not versed in.

Once the LR is cured, drain the water, add sand, add fresh saltwater, aquascape the LR and your aquarium will begin the cycle process.

At least, that's my understanding of this process... YMMV.

bladedrummer
08-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Heya, I bought "premium" live rock from a LFS and I'm on my way to cycle my tank. You can find the thread here (http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?93382-My-wannabe-75-Gallon.). I've just finished "aquascaping" and the water is finally clear so I'll be posting some pics of the current state of affairs tonight. :P

I actually didn't explain myself too well. My aim is not a FOWLR, it's a reef tank. I just want to start out by keeping a few fish for a bit while I get the hang of the chemistry, care and upkeep of the tank.