PDA

View Full Version : New to San diego

jasonp87
07-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Hello, I'm new here on the site and new to San Diego. I moved from Colorado Springs CO a little over a month ago. Currently I have a small 10 gallon reef setup. I tore down and sold my 75 before the move. Just didn't want to attempt to move a tank that big across the country. I kept my favorite fish and corals though and everything fits nicely in a custom 10 gallon reef tank that I built. Anyways, in glad to see there is a good sized community of people here like I had in CO. I was a member of the Southern Colorado Marine Aquarium Society there. I don't have a pic of my tank on my phone currently but I will get one posted.

x3thelast
07-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Nice! Welcome! Plenty of nice LFS' around here too.

bradreef
07-18-2012, 11:05 AM
you are now where your LFS just drives up the the wholesaler to pick up the fish vs having a jobber pick and ship to them the leftovers. you can get almost anything available in the hobby ussually at a decent price.

Also San Diego is almost the same Temp all year. 60-80

Esco reef
07-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Welcome to san diego !! Would love to see your tank pics too :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

afitzwater
07-18-2012, 11:11 AM
what part of san diego?

jasonp87
07-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Thank you everyone. Had a few good stores in Colorado springs but I got most of my stuff from other hobbyists. A lot of people coral farm out there if you can believe it. I have been to a couple stores here and they blow everything in CO out of the water.

I'm located in rancho penesquitos.

jessegarcia28
07-18-2012, 12:48 PM
:welcome: To SdR
have fun
jesse

jasonp87
07-18-2012, 07:19 PM
As promised here are some pics of my current tank. It is currently sitting in my inlaws garage waiting to be moved into my new place. The corals seem to like it though because they have been growing faster than I have ever seen them grow! The tank is a standard ten gallon which I placed an internal acrylic wall in. I spaced it 1/3 of the length of the tank and painted the entire new small section black. This area holds my pump, filter and heater. I used a CNC mill to cut the overflow slits in the acrylic. The entire tank is self contained so it can go almost anywhere without the need for a sump underneath or any tubes outside the tank. I also don't have to worry about a sump overflowing if the power goes out. Been thinking about applying this to a larger tank just haven't gotten around to it yet.

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad244/jasonp87/IMG_3817.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad244/jasonp87/IMG_3815.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad244/jasonp87/IMG_3813.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad244/jasonp87/IMG_3812.jpg

Reef Dreams
07-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Welcome to the industry and SDR looks like a good start you have going there. Keep up the good work and good luck to you

jasonp87
07-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Thank you. I like the little tank but I really miss my 75 gallon and all the variety you can start to have in a bigger tank. I know the clowns are going to outgrow this tank eventually and I don't want to have to get rid of them so I will have to move back up again to a larger tank.

50 cube
07-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Welcome to SD! I lived in Denver for a few years & never got around to setting up a tank mostly due to higher costs & having to mix my own water. I'm a firm believer in scripps water for quality and convinience & have been running reef tanks since I moved back, if it wasn't for the ocean & surfing I may very well live there still! Great place to live & raise kids. Anyway, welcome to Americas finest city. Don't expect you to be a charger fan right away but you'll come around unless Peyton does his thing which I am really afraid of.

jasonp87
07-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks 50 cube. Speaking of not mixing water, what does everyone do here? I assume you don't just go down to the beach with buckets. "Scripps water" as in Scripps Ranch? Stuff is more expensive out there but I knew a good group of guys out there where I could get fish and corals pretty cheap. If you go through the LFSs out there you get robbed. Had a guy that ran a business out of his garage farming corals and buying fish whole sale and selling them to guys in the club. And I wont be a Chargers fan anytime soon, though my wife's family would love it. Been a Broncos fan since a couple seasons before they won the back to back titles. I figure we can get 2 good seasons out of Manning and that's about it. I think keeping players out of trouble is the big thing right now though.

50 cube
07-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Scripps institute of oceanography runs the birch aquarium in la Jolla & they have a public spigot at the base of the pier where you can collect as much filtered natural seawater you want for free. Warning, if you ask the site members what is better, scripps or mixing, you will find the community pretty much divided on what is better. Just search the site & you'll find about 1,000,000,000 differing opinions. There is a sticky with a map to the location of the collection site.

50 cube
07-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Sticky with map is under reef related discussion

jasonp87
07-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Awesome, thank you. I'll have to at least try it. Def cheaper. I bought my salt water pre mixed in Colorado at .75 per gallon which adds up quick. I got my top off water free from my work. But I haven't been as lucky here yet. I probably should just ask the new place.