PDA

View Full Version : SanDiegoReefs tank of the quarter

jt_milstead
07-09-2012, 07:53 AM
The winner will receive a free SanDiegoReefs t-shirt, have the prestige of having his/her tank being the winner, and have its own thread posted. When the votes have been tabulated, the winner will be notified, and the infamous Nick_Kun will come take pictures of your tank/system.

This is going to be a two part thread, since we can only do 10 at one time.......

Here is the link for the second part of the voting:
http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?92534-SanDiegoReefs-tank-of-the-quarter-2

poakley723
07-11-2012, 02:34 PM
I think pictures should be on this thread!

I am just saying!:2cents:

Elias
07-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Chris023 tank is amazing! Saw it in person, too bad he's breaking it down.

rodbuster229
07-11-2012, 05:47 PM
+1 on pics!!!!!

AFUreef
07-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Bump....

Chris023
07-25-2012, 01:24 PM
I did just break it down... Maybe a win would be a nice "in memory" tribute to it :beer:

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/cpschuetze/Aquarium/For%20Sale/Coral/024.jpg

JohnnyAirtime
07-25-2012, 07:53 PM
6 days left... last push for the polls!

LAST FEBRUARY (8 months old);

<-------- 8 feet wide -------->
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/johnnyairtime/Fish-Tank/240%20gallon/2012%202-7/53862afd.jpg

AFUreef
09-12-2013, 09:07 AM
We should get this going again;)

skate858
09-12-2013, 09:23 AM
+1 i agree

DaveMorris
09-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Why not? We've only tried to do it five or six times. It never works for some reason.

naso tang
09-12-2013, 11:15 AM
I vote for victor...

SDguy
09-13-2013, 05:00 AM
Why not? We've only tried to do it five or six times. It never works for some reason.

:lol:

Well, please remove me from the list since my reef has been nothing but an empty tank filled with tap water for months now. Unless you want to nominate the trash can full of live rock on the balcony :D

AFUreef
09-15-2013, 08:06 AM
Ouch.... So funny...

DaveMorris
09-15-2013, 10:20 PM
I put in quite a lot of effort to keep it going and actually highlighted several great and amazing tanks (Even Peter's reef). It rapidly became too hard to get people to allow their tanks to be photographed so I gave up.

AFUreef
09-26-2013, 07:51 AM
I can see how it would become very difficult to get members tanks photographed. Well if we get this going again and help is needed on dialing it in I can help... Always fun to see all the insane systems memebers have.

h20poloman
09-26-2013, 08:36 AM
I volunteered to take the pics for this and did shoot Johnny's tank, however, the write up/specs are a responsibility of the reefer who wins. I'm still willing to take photos of the winners set up.

jason142
09-26-2013, 09:54 AM
I know when Chad had seareef up and running there was questionnaire that the winner filled out, not sure if he still has the template for that or not. I can dig around and see if I could find something.

jada1
09-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Apparently we have a winner already whatever quarter this was..a new one should be started...

Vince
09-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Danny if you are interested in heading up the project I can make that happen---lmk---V

jada1
09-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Sure but Marlin can take the pics. .of the winner..unless u want a blue pictures. .lol

Sun&Ocean
09-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Sure, we should keep this going! I am sure inspired by all the TOTM threads from RC. I am sure we can honor and inspire a lot of folks during this process.

Duke4130
09-26-2013, 04:36 PM
If Tank of the Month is too much of a hassle due to everyones busy schedules we should try Tank of the Quarter so every couple of months there can be a new system up.

specvjeff
09-26-2013, 05:00 PM
We've tried this and tried this and tried this. We've had trouble mainly with the tank owner and the photographer getting on the same page to set up a time for the photos be taken. I'd like to see this keep going as well. Are there any photographers out there that would be willing to donate a few hours every 4 months to take pics? If you don't want to go through the trouble of photo editing, I can do that myself.

Duke4130
09-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Hey I am available after 6pm on the week days and all times on the weekend if you want to nominate me!!!!! Lol

DaveMorris
09-26-2013, 05:32 PM
The biggest problem I ran into when I was doing this a hundred years ago was actually with the tank owner giving me the line that "my tank isn't good enough" or "my tank is in bad shape right now". I tried to point out that their tank was nominated by people who have seen it and were impressed. The opinion of the reefing community was given no weight at all. For this to work I see at least two things that must happen to be successful:

1. Anybody who is nominated needs to speak up early if they want their tank to be taken off the list. If not, then you should make a real, concentrated effort to provide the data on the tank and a time to have shots taken of the tank. People have blessed you with the appreciation of the hard work, long hours, dedication and tons of money that you have put into your tank. Show some appreciation the other way and make it a point to do your part to get the photos and write up posted as quickly as possible. If you are busy with work or family or you are just a procrastinator and don't feel you can make it a priority, then remove your tank from consideration.

2. Anybody offering up their services to take photos of the winner's tank needs to show the same sort of commitment being asked of the tank owner in number one above. Don't volunteer to take photos and then be the one that can't make the appointment to shoot the tank for weeks on end. Perhaps if we have three or four people willing to shoot, then the winner can post a date and time that works best for them and then whichever photog thats available can go and shoot it.

Bottom line is this...for this to work the process must be quick. If nominations are taken for a month and a poll is put up to vote, it should be for a week at the most. I also think the votes should be kept from public view. (not sure if the software supports that) Seeing how voting is going often skews the end result. Let people vote blindly and then announce the winner WHEN THE THREAD ON THEIR TANK IS POSTED! Nobody knows who the RC tank of the Month is until it is posted with the write up and pics and it should work the same here. Its a great way to do it. Once the winner is determined, they should be notified and it should take no longer than a week to get the winner's tank thread done and announced. Very few of us would have a problem giving up an hour to have someone shoot pics of the tank with a weeks notice. Dragging the process out week after week will only make this project fail once again. I've done it before, know exactly what kind of effort it takes to do it, and I really think the process needs to be streamlined to be consistent.

I would love to see this get moving. Doing it quarterly is probably a good way to start and if it takes off and a good system gets rolling then perhaps it can become a monthly thing.

specvjeff
09-26-2013, 05:42 PM
I don't think there is an option to make the poll results private and viewed by only one or two people. Perhaps when we go to the newest version of Vbulletin that will be an option. The only other thing I can think of is to use at outside polling service.

Sun&Ocean
09-26-2013, 06:18 PM
The biggest problem I ran into when I was doing this a hundred years ago was actually with the tank owner giving me the line that "my tank isn't good enough" or "my tank is in bad shape right now". I tried to point out that their tank was nominated by people who have seen it and were impressed. The opinion of the reefing community was given no weight at all. For this to work I see at least two things that must happen to be successful:

1. Anybody who is nominated needs to speak up early if they want their tank to be taken off the list. If not, then you should make a real, concentrated effort to provide the data on the tank and a time to have shots taken of the tank. People have blessed you with the appreciation of the hard work, long hours, dedication and tons of money that you have put into your tank. Show some appreciation the other way and make it a point to do your part to get the photos and write up posted as quickly as possible. If you are busy with work or family or you are just a procrastinator and don't feel you can make it a priority, then remove your tank from consideration.

2. Anybody offering up their services to take photos of the winner's tank needs to show the same sort of commitment being asked of the tank owner in number one above. Don't volunteer to take photos and then be the one that can't make the appointment to shoot the tank for weeks on end. Perhaps if we have three or four people willing to shoot, then the winner can post a date and time that works best for them and then whichever photog thats available can go and shoot it.

Bottom line is this...for this to work the process must be quick. If nominations are taken for a month and a poll is put up to vote, it should be for a week at the most. I also think the votes should be kept from public view. (not sure if the software supports that) Seeing how voting is going often skews the end result. Let people vote blindly and then announce the winner WHEN THE THREAD ON THEIR TANK IS POSTED! Nobody knows who the RC tank of the Month is until it is posted with the write up and pics and it should work the same here. Its a great way to do it. Once the winner is determined, they should be notified and it should take no longer than a week to get the winner's tank thread done and announced. Very few of us would have a problem giving up an hour to have someone shoot pics of the tank with a weeks notice. Dragging the process out week after week will only make this project fail once again. I've done it before, know exactly what kind of effort it takes to do it, and I really think the process needs to be streamlined to be consistent.

I would love to see this get moving. Doing it quarterly is probably a good way to start and if it takes off and a good system gets rolling then perhaps it can become a monthly thing.

+1, lets get this going...May be we can up the stakes little high.
May be we can collect nomination before poll, so folks who have interest to showcase their tank will raise up, concealed/ much awaited results are definitely cool!
Just my $0.02

Jreed983
09-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Maybe an account could be set up to post the nominees so not everybody could post to the thread. If anybody wants to nominate a tank they could pm the nomination.

Then once all the nominees are announced, the thread is locked so nobody can post in the thread and people could pm there vote. It would then be limited to whoever controlled the posting account or mods.

Just an idea. Would like to see this work out.

Sent using tapatalk4 from my GS III

JohnnyAirtime
06-17-2015, 05:33 PM
I volunteered to take the pics for this and did shoot Johnny's tank, however, the write up/specs are a responsibility of the reefer who wins. I'm still willing to take photos of the winners set up.

... you still those pics???

Here's what my tank looks like now;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/johnnyairtime/Fish-Tank/For-Sale/d33a10a8-6e1a-4962-9e14-97a1f7c0751e_zpseunemhmo.jpg

I sold ALL the livestock today, and it's drained and empty.
After $750 month SDGE bills (and I don't have A/C), and food/supplements, and not enjoying it as of late... it's nice to not hear any pumps, gurgling and being stress free.

But, I'd love a copy of all those pictures you took to add to my 'collection'.

aztec80
10-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Are you sell the tank and equipment?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

JohnnyAirtime
04-20-2016, 06:57 AM
... you still those pics???

Here's what my tank looks like now;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/johnnyairtime/Fish-Tank/For-Sale/d33a10a8-6e1a-4962-9e14-97a1f7c0751e_zpseunemhmo.jpg

I sold ALL the livestock today, and it's drained and empty.
After $750 month SDGE bills (and I don't have A/C), and food/supplements, and not enjoying it as of late... it's nice to not hear any pumps, gurgling and being stress free.

But, I'd love a copy of all those pictures you took to add to my 'collection'.

It's ALL GONE!!!

... tank of that quarter, broke down and sold off!

I'm happy to say... I'm OUT of the hobby, and don't have one thing left to remind me of it. haha.

ENJOY your day reefers!!!

chireef
05-18-2016, 12:07 PM
I was wondering if we can get another tank of the Quarter vote going. BUMP BUMP BUMP

bps619
05-18-2016, 12:33 PM
My votes for tapio

crabbysd
05-18-2016, 12:47 PM
I was wondering if we can get another tank of the Quarter vote going. BUMP BUMP BUMP
no. we dont want you to win all the time.

Tapio
07-30-2016, 07:27 AM
My votes for tapio
Thanks!

jada1
09-16-2016, 09:39 AM
Lets bump this pm me with nominations and i will start another thread once we have enough nomination.

naso tang
09-23-2016, 05:01 AM
I don't know danny. I haven't seen many this year. I have not seen tapio, cornell's tanks nor have i seen yours in a long time. Mel's has got some beautiful sticks right now, kevin is always in the running. My tanks don't look great right now to me at least. Tell me if i'm missing a candidate from this list though.

Tapio
Cg
Jada
Duke
Orangereefer

Who am i missing? He's not in here much but i bet eric1975's tank is looking good these days, he's up in lake elsinore though. Haven't seen ryan (bogg) post in awhile...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

naso tang
09-23-2016, 05:06 AM
I would love to see watchguy123's tank. He's in scr though.

FDdragon
09-23-2016, 06:18 AM
Yeah, this would be cool to see. :)

jada1
09-23-2016, 07:47 AM
I don't know danny. I haven't seen many this year. I have not seen tapio, cornell's tanks nor have i seen yours in a long time. Mel's has got some beautiful sticks right now, kevin is always in the running. My tanks don't look great right now to me at least. Tell me if i'm missing a candidate from this list though.

Tapio
Cg
Jada
Duke
Orangereefer

Who am i missing? He's not in here much but i bet eric1975's tank is looking good these days, he's up in lake elsinore though. Haven't seen ryan (bogg) post in awhile...

You is missing
Jason
Not sure who else i don't know about mine . Not even close to being ready.

jada1
09-23-2016, 07:48 AM
I would love to see watchguy123's tank. He's in scr though.

Ya would love to see his tank also. I need to set up a day to pick up some frags from him.

naso tang
09-23-2016, 10:17 AM
You is missing
Jason
Not sure who else i don't know about mine . Not even close to being ready.

Yeah i've not seen that one, thanks and keep em rolling. I kinda feel people migrating from forums since r2r and taking advantage of facebook now. I just haven't been paying much attention to tank threads though.

crabbysd
09-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Hmmm. New Tank of the quarter thread to get Attention and keep it organised by the date of the quarter? ie ATTENTION!! TANK OF THE QUARTER NOMS! 9/23/16 !!! (hi all bump those builds! win stuff! Jet li not allowed to win, jesse G you too) etc?

How about a prize? Gift Cert to a LFS? SDR Schwag? Someone pony up a cool free frag?

Get folks to bump their builds(or finish them like me:what:)

jada1
09-23-2016, 11:05 AM
I will see what we have for prizes

crabbysd
09-23-2016, 03:00 PM
cool. Bragging rights and a tshirt. Reefers, we like to brag and hoard schwag.....

Ive hit up a couple of the fls before and their usually open to it. ASD and SDCoral, They usually like it when a hoarder stops in.

crabbysd
09-23-2016, 08:10 PM
I tried to browse the member tanks tonight and i see only 15. Im on my desktop if that makes a difference

naso tang
09-23-2016, 08:46 PM
Yeah i don't doubt that. We lost some history in a site crash a year ago i think. I should have two in there. In general i get more love from scr tank threads than i do over here, sdreefers just wanna buy sell and trade it seems these days...

vikinglord13
10-22-2016, 05:44 PM
Tank of the Quarters/Months are always nice. They can be motivational for beginners, reinforcements for experienced, and down right entertainment for anyone who is into this hobby. I'm looking forward to ToQ getting started again.