PDA

View Full Version : Algae from SD Beach into tank

cardiffkook
06-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Has anybody tried putting algae into the tank from our beaches? I have a Kole Tang - loves my green hair algae, but ate all of it in my new tank in about 3 days. He is not eating anything else. I tried seaweed bought from the store (green and red), pellets I feed my clowns and some frozen food and he isn't interested.

I was walking the dog on the beach and found a couple of pieces of rock (size of golf ball) with some green algae rooted on it and reaches out about 3 inches.

I just dropped it in my tank to see if the tang will go for it. Has anybody tried this? Is my tank going to explode because I put some local algae in it :)

Can anybody share their experience?

Thanks

Octoman4
06-24-2012, 04:43 PM
at the farm i worked at in carlsbad we used filtered local water to culture all our algae culutre mainly Gracilaria( local algae) super good for tangs and algae eaters...if your worried do a dip

Octoman4
06-24-2012, 04:44 PM
ps we did have a problem with red tide bloom actually killed a whole tank

cardiffkook
06-24-2012, 04:57 PM
thanks for the feedback. I'm calling it algae but it might be seaweed, its green attached to a rock still and extends about 3 inches. I don't know how to post pictures on this site but I text a photo if someone knows how to post.

Octoman4
06-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Is it ulva? Its fine gracilaria is algae toolike ulva...if u have any abalone they will eat macrocycsis like its cake...

DaveMorris
06-26-2012, 06:44 AM
The biggest issue with putting it in your tank is that it is illegal to remove anything like that from our beaches.