PDA

View Full Version : Copepods - new tank question

cardiffkook
06-15-2012, 06:31 AM
Ok - please educate me. I just completed my cycle a couple of weeks ago and have a couple of clowns and a cleanup crew and cleaner shiimp in the tank. I'm reading up on Copepods and it seems like a great idea to get these going in the tank. I just threw some Chateo in my sump.

What are you thougths on Pods, how do I keep them going in my tank and where can I purchase them? Thanks!

poakley723
06-15-2012, 06:57 AM
Where did you get the cheato from? I am willing to be it already had pods in it and you will probably have a population of them growing before you know it.

Just look closely at the cheato. You can actually see the pods on it if you have them. They will find there way up to your tank through your return pump.

JohnnyAirtime
06-15-2012, 08:35 AM
Ok - please educate me. I just completed my cycle a couple of weeks ago and have a couple of clowns and a cleanup crew and cleaner shiimp in the tank. I'm reading up on Copepods and it seems like a great idea to get these going in the tank. I just threw some Chateo in my sump.

What are you thougths on Pods, how do I keep them going in my tank and where can I purchase them? Thanks!

Pods are good. Plain and simple.

You only need a few, to start them growing in a refugium. I'm sure someone would shake out their chaeto to give you some if you don't already have any. I know I'd be happy to. No need to 'buy' them.

... my FOWLR was left fishless for 8 weeks (to stop an ich cycle), however the lobster, urchins, starfish etc were left in the tank. During that time, I'd drop in pellet food and watch a HUGE population of pods carry away the pellets. At night, the pods will nearly encircle the urchins up on the glass. It was amazing how the population exploded. So to say I can spare some... is an understatement.

fresh2120
06-15-2012, 08:43 AM
They are great after I cycled my 5 gallon nano I put some of my cheato in there with some live rock to let them hide under and I put some tiger pods in there as well and left that for about two weeks and there are so many. I don't have to feed my tank anymore.

If you used live sand or live rock that u didn't dry out and add in u have them in ur tank, give it some time and u will see but picking some up from someone doesn't hurt either

cardiffkook
06-15-2012, 03:39 PM
I picked up the Chaeto at a local fish store they said it had coepods in it. I'm not sure if it does or not. I was wondering how to get them going and establish a nice amount of them in the tank. Should I be getting any special refugium mud - JT i might take you up on that chaeto shake offer :)

Mrgunz1
06-21-2012, 05:56 PM
i dont have any what are they good for

anothereefer
06-21-2012, 06:04 PM
i dont have any what are they good for
fish food..yummmm..and more specifically mandarin food..

Mrgunz1
06-21-2012, 06:13 PM
fish food..yummmm..and more specifically mandarin food..

Thanks, and as for chaeto i didnt put any in my sump, instead i have that tall grass looking green plant in my mud in the sump do i still need chaeto in there

anothereefer
06-21-2012, 06:29 PM
you don't necessarily need to put chaeto in there? You can add it though if you decide. It does help to export nutrients from your tank and it'll help with nitrate levels but you'd need A LOT to see if it makes a change. Another thing for chaeto is a place pods to grow and be safe from predators..I'm sure someone else will chime in and have a more better explanation than me..

Mrgunz1
06-21-2012, 06:39 PM
so what im getting is the sump is the best place to add pods. I dont think i have anything other than these random wierd algae eating snails in my sump that only come out at night

anothereefer
06-21-2012, 07:13 PM
so what im getting is the sump is the best place to add pods. I dont think i have anything other than these random wierd algae eating snails in my sump that only come out at night
correct sir. there shouldn't be a whole lot of water flow there like from power heads. Perfect place for pods to populate without being preyed upon by those who eat them.

Vince
06-21-2012, 07:17 PM
+1 anotherreefer- the chaeto and live rock in the sump provides the a safe place to hide. My sump looks like the sand is moving at night.

bradreef
06-21-2012, 09:17 PM
I started my tank 5-6 weeks ago with 40 lbs of dead rock and 4 lbs of live in the sump. 3-4 weeks ago I added cheato in the sump. I now have soo many pods in my display tank it is crazy. I also have no sand.