PDA

View Full Version : new to sd reefs

Tommy
06-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Hey, I just want to say hi to everyone. I currently have a freshwater tank set up. I have been really looking in to saltwater. i'm trying to find the ideal way to set up a saltwater tank, being new to the whole scene im trying to get good input on set up's and do's & dont's

thanks to everyone

jt_milstead
06-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Welcome to the addiction Tommy!!!
You have come to the right place. There is a lots of knowledge here on this forum. I will give you two pieces of advice right now.....
1. Be patient, don't rush.
2. Go with the biggest tank you can, or you will be upgrading soon.....

Vince
06-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Welcome to the boards--any questions fire away!!!!:beer:

Wreck_chord
06-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Welcome.

My advice is go as big as you can, within your budget. Don't buy a huge tank and the cheapest skimmer/lights/etc to compensate. And, read as much as you can, learn from others mistakes. Mistakes can be costly...*cough*new wood floor* cough*

Brian_reefragr
06-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Welcome to the boards Tommy! A bit more advice on top of going big right away is, buy the best equipment you can initially. I can't tell you how much money I spent changing out cheap equipment in the beggining, and how much more expensive it is buying 2 or 3 of an item cause I wanted to save money at the start. The last few years I have just been getting the best equipment available when I needed something, and have had very few issues since doing so.

slicktoppomp
06-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Welcome! Patience patience patience. That's one of the best bits of advice I never got when I first started. Ask as many questions as you can and it will help immensely. What kind o freshwater tank do you have running right now?

jt_milstead
06-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Welcome.

My advice is go as big as you can, within your budget. Don't buy a huge tank and the cheapest skimmer/lights/etc to compensate. And, read as much as you can, learn from others mistakes. Mistakes can be costly...*cough*new wood floor* cough*
That's what i meant to say... :beer:

anothereefer
06-05-2012, 10:21 AM
welcome to the reef tommy..like the others say patience is key! Good epuiment is the way to go!..and then of course knowledge..And yes you'd probably want to get the biggest tank otherwise you're gonna wanna upgrade! I'm already looking around at larger tanks since I just have a 39g

Tommy
06-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Thank you everyone. you guys are awesome!!! right now im running my 30g freshwater I just moved so I had to relocate the tank i really just got it cycling for a couple weeks now. i was think on converting this tank to salt but now with the feed back. I should start by getting all (top shelf) equipment first while learning how salt water works. I'm also wondering what a good starting size tank would be i was think 60g or around there. i dont wanna go to big for my first set up

jt_milstead
06-05-2012, 11:27 AM
I would either go with a 40 breeder(36 x 18 x 16) or standard 50(36 x 18 x 18).

bbandu
06-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Welcome to the reef.

sjames
06-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Hello and welcome.

One huge thing to decide is what kinda reef you like. This will determine many of the items you will need to invest in. Also when you have time visit some local sdreefers houses and see what might work for you.
Have fun.

Crisneg
06-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Hello and welcome.

One huge thing to decide is what kinda reef you like. This will determine many of the items you will need to invest in. Also when you have time visit some local sdreefers houses and see what might work for you.
Have fun.

Very well said James and you'll find that people are really nice and helpful

Tommy
06-06-2012, 06:44 AM
If there is a some what easy explaination that would categorize coral and associated equipment with them?