PDA

View Full Version : Resealing or Bleaching a used "CraigsList" tank

Auggie
05-18-2012, 11:11 PM
I finally found a "CraigsList" keeper that matched closely to my target specifications (60"L x 18"D x 24"H glass, un-tempered, un-drilled and no scratches; I plan on a coast-to-coast overflow) so this purchase marks my official newbie foray into this hobby. And it was only $80 (versus the alternative of getting a custom Lee Mar tank made, which would have delayed my budding aquarist entry significantly)!

Thing is, the last owner used it for reptiles after briefly starting it off as a fish aquarium.

There are no leaks and the silicone is in great condition with no cuts, tears nor abrasions and is still soft and pliable.

I've Googled the 'net tirelessly and recommendations bounce between a full resealing or simply bleaching multiple times. Since this tank is relatively large, this will be a monumental endeavor requiring two pairs of hands when applying the silicone (one laying the bead followed by the other smoothing it). I'm still a ways out (meaning many months) before acquiring any livestock, so in the interim I would prefer to invest in thorough bleaching only.

Or is it the overwhelming opinion that I should reseal?

bbandu
05-18-2012, 11:25 PM
I have never been a fan of bleaching, and even though I have never taken on the endeavor of resealing a tank by choice there are several people on the board that have. I am sure that other with more experience will chime in.

Auggie
05-19-2012, 06:01 AM
There is a school of thought that unless the seals are truly bad they shouldn't be disturbed at all. And there are many who have bleached their tanks (~1/2 cup per 100 gal) as part of the cleaning process when tearing down an established tank or cleaning a new "used" tank.

So it appears that's it's a choice of the lesser of two evils and I tend to side on the philosophy of "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

RussM
05-19-2012, 07:02 AM
Use a strong white vinegar solution instead of bleach.

After cleaning, place on a suitable flat level surface, fill it w/ tap water and let it sit for a few days - monitor for leakage.

Mario
05-19-2012, 10:07 AM
A vinagar solution in a spray bottle with a new razor will clean the glass really well. Was this tank sold as a reptile tank when new? The glass could be very thin and not ideal for aquarium use. The resealing is not a hard process just time consuming. As you have to scrape all the old silicone out, clean, scrape, clean, and scrape some more. Once it is all razored out of the corners, then applying the tape is next. This is what is used to get the "straight line look" in your silicone. Then a day to dry and leak test. I would only do this if your absolutely sure it leaks. Pending on where you live theres a couple people on here that do acrylic work and drill tanks. Good luck in your new adventures and if your not sure just ask there will most likely be somebody here to help you.

Mario

Auggie
05-19-2012, 10:25 AM
The tank was sold and used as a fish aquarium brand new before the last owner bought it where he initially used it as a fish tank, then downsized and put his fish in a small tank while placing a green mat on the bottom and then used it as a reptile tank.

BTW, it's a glass tank and there or NO leaks (knock on glass, er wood!), which is why I really don't want to mess with the factory silicone bead when it's still in fantastic and pliable condition.

LotsaFishies
05-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Fill it with tap water, dump in a gallon of white vinegar, throw a powerhead in it for some circulation, and let it sit for 2 days.... Clean!

Auggie
05-19-2012, 11:13 AM
So far I'm really liking the recommendations of simply sticking with vinegar!