PDA

View Full Version : New Addict

fishman2012
05-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Hello everyone,

I just purchased my first setup and am waiting to get my tank and stand from Aquatic Warehouse. So I have been reading all of the posts in this forum and everything else I can find on reefing I think that I have probably found this place to be the most informative so far. With any luck I will get to get everything setup this weekend or early next week. A little about my setup I have a 75 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump, Vertex UF-15 Reactor, Vertex IN-100 Protein skimmer, 2x Koralia Evo 1400, Quiet One 5000 return, Quiet One 1200 (for the reactor), and 2x AquaticLife Dual Lamp T5. I have already gotten some White Bahama Aragonite sand flown in from Florida with any luck I will get to get a 45lb LR from Korl (thanks for holding for me) this weekend or early next week. I have plans on getting 40 - 50lbs of various other rock. I have plans on getting Scripps water since I live in Serra Mesa right off the 805.

A little about me. my names Kevin and I have lived in San Diego for about 5 years now. I moved here after getting out of the Corps and being stationed on Camp Lejuene (North Carolina). Aside from this addiction I am also Scuba qual'd and figure that if I can't be in the water I can have a piece of it in my home.

Now I do have a few questions if anyone would be willing to give me a little advice.

Is there a service that will deliver Scripps water? At least for the initial fill I can go there and get water for changes but getting 70+ gallons right off the back may form a bit of an issue for me.

Should I seed my sand with some live sand? I was reading that it can help with the cycling time and that if I get it from an established tank it would have a bunch of fish goodies in it.

Should I get a wavemaker/controller for my powerheads or can they run on their own fine?

I have many more questions to ask but I think that these are enough for now.

scubasteve
05-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Hey dude! Welcome! So.... Start a bit slow. Setup tank and everything where you really!! Want it.... Not near sunlight. Next get a form of water transport- so you can grab scripps.... It is going to be a trip you take often for more water. Lol. last... get some live rock and some live sand, you don't need 100% of either of these.... But the more cultured... The better. ;) I am not anywhere as knowledgeable as most members here.... But this was good advice I learned. :) welcome!

DaveMorris
05-17-2012, 08:29 PM
There are several people here that will help deliver the water to you. Just post a thread asking for it and you will get plenty of offers from people here willing to help out. I would also highly recommend taking part in some of the many gatherings we have around town. Be it an SDReefs/SDMAS event or NCRMAS up in North County, meeting with fellow hobbyists face to face is very valuable. You can learn quite a lot from those people who enjoy sharing. And believe me there are many of us. :)

KorL
05-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Is there a service that will deliver Scripps water? At least for the initial fill I can go there and get water for changes but getting 70+ gallons right off the back may form a bit of an issue for me.

Should I seed my sand with some live sand? I was reading that it can help with the cycling time and that if I get it from an established tank it would have a bunch of fish goodies in it.

Should I get a wavemaker/controller for my powerheads or can they run on their own fine?

I have many more questions to ask but I think that these are enough for now.

If you have a truck, it's really easy to get yourself. If not, just ask people here on the forum when you're ready to fill. There's usually always someone to help you out.

You don't need to purchase additional live sand for your tank. The live rock that I'll bring down to you will be fine.

The powerheads should be fine for now. You can always add a controller later if you don't like the flow in your tank.

jmoney619
05-18-2012, 04:23 AM
I have a couple 55 gallon water barrels at my house for $25 each. If you borrow korls siphon pump, buy the barrels ($50), and cover my gas ($20) I can transport 110 gallons plus you can borrow my 5 gallon containers for extra water. Or if you have a truck you can borrow my barrels for free. Welcome to Sdreefs! Pm me if interested.