PDA

View Full Version : What to get for a planted tank?

solefald
05-01-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm setting up a small 4G planted cube for my kid, but really have no idea where to start.
Found some nice white sand at Petco, but not sure about the plants.

Not planning on using CO2 just yet, so what plants would be good to start with? And where to get them?
I saw some stuff at Petco, but it really did not look all that great.

Sat Cong
05-01-2012, 10:33 AM
If you want to shop for plants, Pet Kingdom has pretty good selection...Ask for Garrett, FYI...

jasonmrcdd
05-01-2012, 10:42 AM
+1 on the plants at pk

There are several good substrates out there that are specifically for planted tanks (flourite, etc) some people also mix these with other sands for a more natural look. You can also buy a liquid co2 (exel) to provide the carbon you need without a co2 system.

rdetune
05-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Always thought the moss balls were pretty cool http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=768+2553&pcatid=2553

solefald
05-01-2012, 12:06 PM
thanks everyone! PK is really close to my house, so i will stop by there on the way home.... Now that I think of it, I bought plants there before!

Always thought the moss balls were pretty cool http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=768+2553&pcatid=2553

yeah, they are awesome. every time we go to a pet store my kid points them out.

SoCalBoo
09-04-2012, 08:18 PM
dont do CO2 on a tank that size - way too easy to nuke it. Keep in mind that CO2 acts as an acid and drives the ph down. the liquid additives (as recommended by someone else) are probably a better route. Also, you can get by without CO2 by looking at plants that use bicarbonates as a carbon source rather than CO2. Just google it and you will get a list. Most myrio and vals will work. I would also look for something that floats...cool shadows and 3-dimensionality.

ajn81
09-05-2012, 12:26 PM
dont do CO2 on a tank that size - way too easy to nuke it. Keep in mind that CO2 acts as an acid and drives the ph down. the liquid additives (as recommended by someone else) are probably a better route. Also, you can get by without CO2 by looking at plants that use bicarbonates as a carbon source rather than CO2. Just google it and you will get a list. Most myrio and vals will work. I would also look for something that floats...cool shadows and 3-dimensionality.

Any suggestions on what variety of floating plant to get. I almost never see any at the LFS.

SoCalBoo
09-05-2012, 06:34 PM
water lettuce. on a pico, it will stay small. duckweed might also work, but research to make sure it works for you. it can take over (but on a pico, you can skim it weekly in about 10 seconds). PK has the water lettuce from time to time. Just saw a posting from David M about some.