PDA

View Full Version : table saw for cutting acrylic?

elgordoinavw
05-22-2004, 10:35 AM
Hey everyone, I read that a table saw can be used to cut say 1/4 acrylic however my question is what type of blade to use? Also on overflows (corner type) how do you cut the grooves in the acrylic?

suver569
05-22-2004, 10:43 AM
The best of my knowledge is that you have to have a blade with over 30 teeth per inch, otherwise the acrylic will break. HTH

nalbar
05-22-2004, 11:59 AM
ya, i sometimes use my table saw to cut it. with plastic the more teeth the better but its not totally necesary. i mainly use my compound miter saw to cut acrylic but it can only do twelve inch cuts. i think both saws have 24 teeth in a 71/2 inch blade but im not sure. offset of the teeth on the blade is important also. you want minimum offset.

to be honest i dont pay any attention. i just use my wood blades and have no problems. i have even used my skill saw with its marathon blade for a quick cut.

the grooves are difficult. its best to use a router with a plunge bit.

nalbar

nalbar
05-22-2004, 05:18 PM
http://www.sdplastics.com/acrylic.html

nalbar

socalcreations
05-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Well.. a true acrylic blade for your table saw is the best bet, but usually most people don't want to spend the money (about $100 or so) on a blade they may only use once. I would reccommend getting a good carbide tipped 60-80 tooth blade, 10" saw right? That way you can use it for wood as well. The other option is to buy one of those cheap plastics blades (about $7-$12 ), they work for cutting but leave a very rough edge with lots of saw blade marks, which will work when bonded together but the seam won't be 100% strong, either sand the edges down, must make sure the edge is perfecly square, or use a jointer to prep the edges. either way I would build your tank and then go over all the inside seams with weld-on 16 to make sure it is of good strength.

Grooves... router with a 1/4" bit (or bigger if you prefer)and a jig for perfect slots.

Hope this all make sense and helps you out!

SDMike
05-24-2004, 09:16 AM
Try http://www.melevsreef.com/ for some good hints and ideas too.

M