PDA

View Full Version : hello all!

anothereefer
04-06-2012, 11:39 PM
hello to everyone on the forum!!..my names ed..just introducing myself. I just picked up a 39g reef tank. More specifically a tank that had maybe about 30lbs of live rock and about 1.5" of sand. transported everything back to my place safely with only maybe 3g of water loss due to a loose lid on a cooler. Im not exactly new to salt water but I still have alot to learn. my first crash course tank was a 60g FO tank that I had up for about 5 years and only 4 fish died out of the 15 I've had. Id like to think that it wasn't totally bad since I've had more FW fish die on me in a tank that was only a year old?..anywho..I got the SW itch again and decided to go reef with like 4-6 tops and have a bunch of wigglies on the rocks. So far the setup I have is a 39g tank, CPR bakpak skimmer, koralia powerhead, of course a heater, and a coralife 65x2 PC light I believe?. all in working order. I know I have to let the tank marinate for many moons befor I can add livestock. I wasn't planning on adding fish for maybe 2-3 months. But this tank I purchased was already up and running for a few weeks already. so there is live stuff goin on. skimmer has the green tea thing going and there's purple on some of the rocks also. so yeah just letting everyone know what's you going on. ReefSD will be my goto place and hopefully can make some new friends as well!..happy tanking all!!

LotsaFishies
04-07-2012, 05:24 AM
Welcome Ed! Best of luck with your new tank! Post some pictures of your tank -- we all love pictures! And don't hesitate to ask questions!

saltwater760
04-07-2012, 05:36 AM
welcome to sdreefs

bbandu
04-07-2012, 07:30 AM
Welcome to the forum, Even though the tank was up and running before, the fact that you took it down yo will have some die off in the tank so you will most likely have a mini cycle. Make sure that you get yourself a good test kit and keep checking that water parameters.

This is a great place for almost any information that you want to know. This is also a great place to find good livestock and equipment.

jessegarcia28
04-07-2012, 07:47 AM
:welcome: to SDr!
& just by curiosity did you purchase the tank that was up on craigslist(39 gallon rimless Cadlight tank) if so those are really nice

anothereefer
04-07-2012, 09:29 AM
:welcome: to SDr!
& just by curiosity did you purchase the tank that was up on craigslist(39 gallon rimless Cadlight tank) if so those are really nice

That's exactly what I got. The guy was super cool and does this stuff for a living. It was such a smokin deal I just couldn't pass it up. As far pics?.Im usually posting from my iPhone?..I'll try and see if I can post some. Thanks for the greetings

jessegarcia28
04-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Nice score, Congrats!
jesse

Kano
04-07-2012, 10:14 AM
You shouldn't have to wait 2-3 months before it's safe to add fish since it sounds like it was already cured or partially cured. Like Bbandu mentioned you'll have a mini-cycle. Just watch out for when it's done cycling because there is no reason to wait 2 months to add something if it's ready in a few weeks. If you do a water change and don't get the nitrate to stay at 0 for a few days don't risk a fish. Good luck and welcome.

rdetune
04-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Welcome! Like everyone said create a build thread we enjoy pictures and giving advice from our own mistakes

XO PRESENTS
04-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Welcome to the boards... as LotsaFishes mentioned.. SDR is a great place to learn and ask questions about the hobby.. lots of good fellow reefers here who are more then willing to help.. enjoy and happy reefing....

Jocecazalot
04-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Welcome!!

Would love to see your tank pictures in the Member tanks thread!

I normally post from my iphone too. Pictures are easy, just open up another window in your browser and go to www.tinypic.com

it should be the [IMG] code =]