PDA

View Full Version : New enthusiast.

bladedrummer
03-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Hi everyone,

first of all, congrats on this awesome site!!! I love it.

I'm moving to a bigger place starting tomorrow so I was finally able to get a tank! I've been wanting to do so for a while. I got a used 75 gallon tank, stand, powerheads, wavemaker, heaters, protein skimmer, HOB refugium with miracle mud, live sand bed, misc equipment. The tank was running until about a month ago and was doing good, as far as I know. The water is still in it and some of the clean up crew is still alive. No algae, no scum. Water looks crystal clear.

I find myself a little stumped right now. I need lighting but I really don't know what to get. My idea is to get LEDs because of less heat transfer to the tank and, especially, to the room. However I'm confused as to what kind I should get. I'm looking to spend around $400. Although I might actually have to wait a week or two to get them. Not sure.

Also I'd love it if my choice in lighting wouldn't limit my choice in livestock/corals in the future.

Thanks in advance for any input and keep up the great work!

Vince
03-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Welcome to SD Reefs, lots of good people and info here. Love to see some pics of the tank when you get it going..:thrasher::thrasher::thrasher:

jt_milstead
03-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of information to be shared here. There are numerous threads about LED lighting.

Brian_reefragr
03-30-2012, 12:49 PM
:welcome: Welcome to the boards! If you like, you can pm me your number and I can give you a call to try and help you get going with the tank and lighting. MAX is this weekend at the O.C. fairgrounds, you are highly likely to be able to score some super sweet deals there as it is an annual event with tons of dry goods vendors.

bladedrummer
03-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Thank you everybody! Oh, unfortunately I'll be moving into a bigger apartment this weekend so I doubt I'll have time for the fair, too bad :(