PDA

View Full Version : Hello SDR!! New Tank Purchase Advice

TSwan66
03-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Serious Noob... Doing lots of research and looking for the best place to purchase a tank.. I want to do this right the first time.. I'm looking for something in the 90 to 110 range rimless glass..

Thanks in advance for assistance..

poakley723
03-16-2012, 12:50 PM
The best place to buy a tank is a really tough question. Me personally I dont think the tank is the most importanat part. yes if you are building a all top of the line tank then starfire and all that jazz is great.

I have just been shopping around getting quotes for what I want.

SanDiegoReefs
03-22-2012, 06:59 AM
Welcome!

Ask a lot of questions, read a lot of posts here on the board. Go stop by a couple local Local Fish Stores (LFS) or come ot a SanDiegoReefs event and talk to people. We all start out small and work our way into something that sticks for a while then we want more fish or a larger tank, or just get bored.

- Check out the member tanks section and PICS.
- Decide what your inventory is like, (what type of fish).
- Decide if you want Corals and Fish or just Fish only with Live Rock (FOWLR).
- Decide what your budget is.
- Decide what your lighting is and what type of filtration.
- Look at Acrylic and look at Glass and decide.
- Decide if you want Tall or Short and wide.

So many variables and pieces to the puzzle it keeps us all guessing all the time! I've been in the hobby for over 35 years and still can't get it right!...LOL

Good luck and get er done!

m

jt_milstead
03-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Welcome to SDR!Coming here seeking advice was a good choice. I did the same thing back on 2007.
Let me give you one piece of advise. Go as big as you can afford/handle. This becomes an addiction very fast and if you start to small you'll be upgrading soon......
I would go around to a few Local Fish Store(LFS), and get quotes for the tank you are thinking about getting.

LotsaFishies
03-22-2012, 07:14 AM
Welcome welcome! Congrats for choosing to be a Premium member -- this is a great community and you will find a lot of helpful, knowledgable people!

Ditto JT's comment: always go as big as you have money to afford, time to take care of, and space to fit it. Bigger will be more stable.

jt_milstead
03-22-2012, 07:17 AM
Oh yeah i forgot...Contact Chris at LotsaFishies's for a quote....

Brian_reefragr
03-22-2012, 07:27 AM
Gonna be getting rid of my 90 gallon tank and stand in the next week or two. Will let it go for like $100. :D