PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys..HELP!

reefster
03-09-2012, 09:24 AM
HEY GUYS, So i'm brand new to all of this...I need some help with what to do next. I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that's been drilled for a drain with a 1" tube, and a 110 return pump with 5/8 ID hose going up to a hang over the rim thing I made out of pvc elbows.
I also have a coralife t5 light and a bag of coralife salt mix. I need help what to do next! I know how to make a sump out of glass, I just don't know what to put in it.

Brian_reefragr
03-09-2012, 09:39 AM
We need more info. Is the tank empty, what do you plan on keeping, etc. Also where are you located?

reefster
03-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Sorry, yes, the tank is empty, i'm in carlsbad. i'm trying to do fish,and basic coral.

hydrahawk
03-09-2012, 10:13 AM
After you build the sump. Let it sit for a few days and don't try to move it. Then you do a fresh water test on the sump to make sure it doesn't leak. For the 40B, I assume the hole for the drain is on the bottom panel of the glass. Do you have a built-in overflow? Why didn't you have a hole drilled of the return?

vick
03-09-2012, 10:17 AM
if y ou need a sump i have one man. its acrylic and has some nice baffels in it its drilled and all. lmk its around 30 gallon sump

reefster
03-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I just don't know what to put in the sump and the hole is drilled at the top and I actually just bought it that way.

reefster
03-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks Vick but I was thinking somthing a little smaller to fit under.

vick
03-09-2012, 10:35 AM
yah no problem man just thought id offer :)

reefster
03-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Why would it be on the bottom? I assumed the drain on the top kinda works like an over flow?

reefster
03-09-2012, 10:55 AM
I just need to know what filter stuff you put in the sump, like carbon? Live rock? Or what? And where? And i need to know how to start filling up my tank with water and salt and how long before I can put stuff in. Do I need to add like a tank cycle booster or somthing?

wholagan
03-10-2012, 03:57 PM
I just need to know what filter stuff you put in the sump, like carbon? Live rock? Or what? And where? And i need to know how to start filling up my tank with water and salt and how long before I can put stuff in. Do I need to add like a tank cycle booster or somthing?

I just started cycling a new tank myself so Ive just been in this same spot. Sounds to me like you have your plumbing figured out. So for the sump, I think this is where you'll get about a million different answers. I'm a very "keep it simple" kind a guy so my sump is a Eurofill which drains into a filter sock stuffed with pond filter media to quite the splashing. There is a single baffle between this and the next is simply my return where my skimmer and return are housed. I just posted the build in member tanks if you want a visual. I'm also a traditional cycle person. No boosters for me. Hope that helps.

reefster
03-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Yes it does! Thank you, I was wondering what those sock things at the fish store were!