PDA

View Full Version : New to SDR and first time member to the reefing community!

SurfinClown
02-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Hi all I am relatively new to the hobby I've been into it now for roughly two years, dealing predominantly with my 10 gallon nano tank and I have been building a 75 gallon tank since November of last year. Super excited about the possibilities of it. especially since I have been so limited with my nano.

My goal in this hobby is to try my luck at breeding clown fish. I had a successful spawn with Bettas when I was in freshwater, but never got a shoot at raising the fry because the male turned out to be an egg eat.:cry: So I am very interested with talking to people that have any first hand experience in this matter and talking to any fellow reefer on the subject of breeding as well. So far the only people that I have talked to are the wonder staff at Aquatic Warehouse and Pet Kingdom. If any on has advice as to how to help bonded pairs of clown fish mate that would be super sweet!! Finally my question of the day is what the heck is a "bump":confused2: I have been surfing the equipment/Livestock forums and see bumps left and right. I've been racking my head over it and haven't been able to figure it out.

Anyways I'm super excited and really wish that I had found this amazing site sooner!! That way I wouldn't have made every possible mistake in the book with my 10 gallon nano :lol: Oh well I can honestly say that I have learned alot from these experiences. Though I have been into reefing for two years I still consider myself at the beginner level and look forward to the combined knowledge on this site!

luv4qt1004
02-23-2012, 10:50 AM
welcome to sdr!! bump means just to move "bump" the thread back to the top of the page.

raising clown fishes u should talk to SWEET! Cool girl and has been successful with clownfishes:

http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?81232-Sweet-lt-3-s-Clownfish-Adventure

oswaldo1424
02-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Welcome to SDR and good luck with your tank would love to see some pics and pretty much a "bump" is when u want to bump your post to the top for more people to notice it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SurfinClown
02-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks for responding and connecting me to SWEET! looks like shes into the breeding scene ha ha. Now I understand how the bump works. could you bump your own threads?

SurfinClown
02-23-2012, 11:27 AM
Also what is the best way to upload pics for threads and profiles?

bbandu
02-23-2012, 11:31 AM
First let me say welcome to the forum and to the community. Yes you can bump your own thread, however the only time people usually bump there own thread is if they are getting no replies and it has fallen of the first page.

Acefspds
02-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Breeding any fish isnt gonna be easy. I myself have had a few betta spawns. My male was just like urs with the first spawn. Thing is you have to let them keep trying when they are ready again. After a couple bad spawns my bettas got the hang of things and had a few good spawns since.

http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?62132-Delta-Half-Moon-Betta-Babies&highlight=

Now as far as clowns go it is a bit more difficult. You have to have a green water setup, rodifer setup, Baby brine shrimp set up. There is alot of research and trial and error in clown breeding. Pairs do not usually breed until they are established quite some time. It is unlikely you will just get a pair and they start laying eggs unless you buy a breeding pair. There are quite a few people on the boards who do raise clown fry and I am hopin to be one of them someday when my clowns finally do the deed. Note it has been 3 years in the waiting.

Here is some good reading.

http://www.breedclownfish.com/

Welcome to SDR!

SurfinClown
02-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Breeding any fish isnt gonna be easy. I myself have had a few betta spawns. My male was just like urs with the first spawn. Thing is you have to let them keep trying when they are ready again. After a couple bad spawns my bettas got the hang of things and had a few good spawns since.

http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?62132-Delta-Half-Moon-Betta-Babies&highlight=

Now as far as clowns go it is a bit more difficult. You have to have a green water setup, rodifer setup, Baby brine shrimp set up. There is alot of research and trial and error in clown breeding. Pairs do not usually breed until they are established quite some time. It is unlikely you will just get a pair and they start laying eggs unless you buy a breeding pair. There are quite a few people on the boards who do raise clown fry and I am hopin to be one of them someday when my clowns finally do the deed. Note it has been 3 years in the waiting.

Here is some good reading.

http://www.breedclownfish.com/

Welcome to SDR!

Thanks for the advice and I have that website on my bookmarks :) I know that it is going to be harder than the Bettas but I have a passion for clownfish. I have done tons of research on the matter ie veiwing breedclownfish.com several threads, and tons of youtube research on raising rotifers, BBS, and the fry themselves. What I hope to do as well as breed them is to write a well documented article on the process as well as video tutorials that will make the process easier or at least easier to understand. I know that breedclownfish is pretty much already like this but I figure the more on the web about breeding the better!

Also thanks for the heads up on the three years and the fact that most clown pairs don't "do the deed" I haven't found that in any of my research. I hope that yours get their act together so that you get your shoot!!!

SurfinClown
02-23-2012, 12:03 PM
First let me say welcome to the forum and to the community. Yes you can bump your own thread, however the only time people usually bump there own thread is if they are getting no replies and it has fallen of the first page.

Okay thanks I had a feeling that there was some sort of etiquette behind the whole bumping process and didn't want to step on any toes so to speak. Do you know the best way to post pictures on the forms and for my profile?

shioinu
02-23-2012, 12:07 PM
welcome to the board! good luck with your upgrade :)

slicktoppomp
02-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Okay thanks I had a feeling that there was some sort of etiquette behind the whole bumping process and didn't want to step on any toes so to speak. Do you know the best way to post pictures on the forms and for my profile? Easiest way is to have a Photobucket account and copy and paste the image code to your post. Welcome to the forums.

jessegarcia28
02-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Welcome....
jesse

XO PRESENTS
03-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Welcome to the boards bud.. you should get in touch with Alissa.. sn: woogiekids .. she was getting into breeding her pairs and I know they did lay eggs several times but I have not talked to her about it for awhile.. Good luck and enjoy SDR !!!!
Ron

LotsaFishies
03-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Welcome welcome!