PDA

View Full Version : New tank now what?

Photobug
02-21-2012, 06:26 PM
I had a salt tank about 25 years ago. My wife and I have been looking at the LFS. Then my wife bought a tank from someone while I was out of town.

Here is our 40 gallon tank. It came with stand, light, canister filter, chemicals and testers and a backpack with skimmer I have not figured out how to get running yet. There is some live rock, and about 8 small corals, a damsel, 4 different types of gobis, a small snowflake eel, and 5 hermit looking crab. I am the expert in the family but last time I had a tank I had an undergravel filter and power heads as my sole form of filtration. I am clueless with the new technology.

What we would like to see from the tank is more coral, some and an anemone and clown fish for the short term.

Where do I start learning how to manage a tank like this. I am looking for websites to read and books to buy anything to start learning what I can to make my tank nice.

Thanks
Jordan

Tried to attach a photo but maybe can't for first post?

shioinu
02-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Jordan, you came to the right place. Is the canister filter running? Where r u located? Sometimes easier if someone can stop by and help. What is working? Let us know 1 by 1.
Welcome back!

Photobug
02-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Hi Shioinu,
We live in Oceanside, about 2 miles from I-5.

The Canister is running and is a marineland C-360 model. There is also a Fluval 304 that came with it that has a broken primer pump that should be easy to fix, not hooked up. The Protein skimmer is a backpack model I am trying to figure out.

I just got the book The Marine Reef Aquarium. So I got some reading to do to start figuring this out.

shioinu
02-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Jordan, the backpack should be simple. A powerhead in the tank goes to backpack via hose or hard plumb. The outlets flows back into tank. The marineland is running, that's good. Need to get the skimmer going. Are you gonna mix your water, buy or pick up from scripps. Probably want to get a water change soon. There are a handful of reefers in your general area. PM anytime with questions: big or small.
Shioinu

Jarederaj
02-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Im in oceanside as well, but tony at tri city tropical is extremely helpful on getting a tank set up, he helped me change my tank from fresh to saltwater.

Photobug
02-22-2012, 06:42 PM
tony at tri city tropical is extremely helpful on getting a tank set up, he helped me change my tank from fresh to saltwater.

That must be the guy I see sitting in the office, while the kids run the show.

Jarederaj
02-22-2012, 06:49 PM
No thats george, he knows more but tonys easier to talk to.

saltwater760
02-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Ha ha I'm in oceanside as well right off college by the home depot ask away with the questions

Photobug
02-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Thanks Guys,
Just tripled our investment in the tank today. Tons more live rock, snails, a crab, brittle star, and an ORA madarin goby. I will post before and after photos when I get a chance. Still need adequate lighting, and a protein skimmer. I am thinking of adding a sump tank also. We have a brand new Marineland canister filter but would rather have something we don't have to clean as often. There is a 12x15x24" space on the middle shelf, would a 20 gallon low tank fit there for a sump or refugium? Is this a good idea?

I am at Home Depot at least three times a week. I am at Oceanside and El Camino Real.

Jarederaj
02-23-2012, 06:31 AM
20 gallon sump is plenty, i have a 35 gallon on my 140 and it works good

bbandu
02-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Welcome back to the hobby, If you decide to go with a sump remember that the sump also needs to be big enough to hold any back flow from the main tank.

fresh2120
02-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Hello I used to work at a pet store and I can help out with what else you might want to do as far as a skimmer or setting up a sump. I live in Oceanside right off of college. If u have any questions let me know?

Photobug
02-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Wow this is a great place and a great community I am excited to start being a part of this site.

Photobug
02-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Here is my tank on day 1http://www.seapicture.com/showphoto.php?photo=150&title=tank-first-day&cat=500

Jarederaj
02-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Haha i was about to say u should post a pic. Looks great

Photobug
02-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Now that I got pictures I can ask about a potential sump.

The area below the tank is 30x11x15". I am not sure what size sump I could get down there. Someone has offered me a 20x10x12, which is only 10 gallons but would leave room for other things on the shelf. The open space available (without going into the corners created by the stands legs is 24x12x15.

How much headroom should I allow?
What is meant by backflow from main tank, and how do I allow for it?

Jarederaj
02-24-2012, 09:40 AM
The bigger the better but 10 gallons would work. Backflow is when your power goes off unexpectedly and the water gets sucked back into the sump, just make sure you dont put to much water in your sump and make sure the sump is big enough to hold the backflow.

JohnnyAirtime
02-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Here's some help for ya;

http://www.seapicture.com/data/500/medium/IMG_6732.jpg

http://www.seapicture.com/data/500/medium/IMG_6734.jpg

http://www.seapicture.com/data/500/medium/IMG_6735.jpg

Jarederaj
02-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Or you could get a battery backup so when power goes out it still runs

Photobug
02-25-2012, 07:23 AM
Thanks Johnny,
How'd you do that?
And thanks for the skimmer, just waiting for the foam to start. Hope the new set up went well. Your reef tank was inspiring. Of all the things going on in your tank the fact you had damsels schooling in the tank stuck with me.

Ps the mandarin did not make it.

JohnnyAirtime
02-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks Johnny,
How'd you do that?
And thanks for the skimmer, just waiting for the foam to start. Hope the new set up went well. Your reef tank was inspiring. Of all the things going on in your tank the fact you had damsels schooling in the tank stuck with me.

Ps the mandarin did not make it.

No prob. You simply click on the picture icon (above your post - where you also edit text) and use "URL". Posting the URL link of the pictures in the widget. And click "okay". And wha-la... done!

The "foam" doesn't start per-se. It's a spray skimmer. Doesn't use air to make bubbles like most skimmers which draw in air through a venturi. Over the next few days, you'll get a little bit of "foam" that creeps up to the top of the black lid (I guess that's where you could say it starts ;)). The foam itself won't spill over so much as the bubbles/foam will pop and create a "skim"... or what everyone calls "Skimmate". The 'stuff' that's coming out of your tank water... from building up on the rising bubbles within the skimmer body. On my 75gal, I only needed to empty the collector about once every 2 weeks. You should only about once a month.

Did you get the preskim box fixed? If not... use Weld-On 16, purchased at most local fish stores (Aquatic Warehouse has it). Super glue may work for the time being, but won't work very long. Or, bring it back... and I'd be happy to help repair it for you. As you know, I had no time being I had fish in buckets with no water movement or air stones (waiting on their new tank to be installed).

Those authors I mentioned, were; Martin Moe (for building your reef) and Julian Sprung (for identification). Some of the ones I learned from 20yrs ago were (and still sitting on my shelf today);
http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Aquarium-Handbook-Beginner-Breeder/dp/0982026218/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1
http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Aquarium-Reference-Systems-Invertebrates/dp/0939960052/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2

Those "schooling fish" are Blue/green chromis. 11 of them in the 240gal. They've been with me for about 6 months.

And sorry to hear your Mandarin didn't make it. I'm sure it wasn't the powerhead that did him in, most mandarins can handle some flow and usually only swim with their front fins. It could have been many things... Acclimation or lack of, food supply or lack of, stress, etc.etc. As I showed ya... the little pods in my overflow are what most mandarins love. No tank is too small to grow them, yet you must introduce them in some manner. Either by buying, or they'll come in something you buy/trade (like chaeto - or other macro algae). If you don't have any, it's best to get that part started before buying another mandarin... as most mandarins don't eat frozen or pellet foods.

jmoney619
02-25-2012, 09:10 AM
The mandarin feeds on pods, which your tank may not had enough of. I poured a pack of live pods in my 14 gallon with the mandarin and he's happy.

Photobug
02-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Hi Johnny, No did not fix the pre-skimmer yet as won't be using it in this tank. Already had to make room for the powerhead. Thanks for reiterating those authors, all I could remember today was Moe and Julius. Will be hitting up Amazon later today.

Here it is with the skimmer set up on our aquarium on day 6 in the house. What I have been really stoked on is looking around an seeing all the freebies in my tank. When leaving Aqua SD I was thinking "I can't believe I spent $90 on rocks". Today I am thinking wow look at those feather dusters, where did that micro star fish come from?

http://www.seapicture.com/data/500/medium/IMG_6748.jpg

Is there no way possible for a fish to get injured by a flow? The mandarin was tank born and raised and was swimming around healthily then got slammed across the tank. Less than 30 minutes later he was in the corner looking deflated with a broken back. My wife thinks his swim bladder was injured. He was in our tank less than 48 hours and we had seen him eat frozen food.

I plan on visiting Pet Kingdom to check it out for today"s special event. I am looking to upgrade lights but waiting till I can spend the money to do an LED right. Right now I have a 20W blue T8 and a dual White/Blue Power compact. Is there any interesting invertebrates could i add with this much light? I am not expecting anything to grow yet but what can I keep healthy?

JohnnyAirtime
02-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Looking good!!

Those micro star fish are more then likely asterinas.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=asterina+starfish&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1127&bih=683&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=RClJT6SDN-_ZiQLR3pDbDQ
... if you ever get Zoa corals, you'll want those cute lil' buggers gone!

And, didn't you say the Mandarin was "porpoising" before the power head? If so, that's NOT normal. It had troubles before any power head trauma. Mandarins most often will be on the rock, or sand... looking for food (similar to a hover craft's action... just over the surface). Often hidden, and out of sight. It's rare, they are at water surface... let alone porpoising out of the water.

JohnnyAirtime
02-25-2012, 10:38 AM
I plan on visiting Pet Kingdom to check it out for today"s special event. I am looking to upgrade lights but waiting till I can spend the money to do an LED right. Right now I have a 20W blue T8 and a dual White/Blue Power compact. Is there any interesting invertebrates could i add with this much light? I am not expecting anything to grow yet but what can I keep healthy?

Any soft hardy coral will do fine. First thing comes to mind... Kenya Tree Coral! ;) A pest coral by most, but often great for the first timer like yourself. Plus, they are a good sign you've got decent water and lighting. I could have given you some when you were here.... :(

Photobug
02-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Something is wrong with my tank.

The Mandarin goby we added lasted about 24 hours. We have a small moray and fire fish I have yet to see today. There was some subtle signs on this goby this morning now it looks like this. I have tested the water every day, and the parameters are all good. What should i check now, what should I do?

Thanks

http://www.seapicture.com/data/500/medium/IMG_6814.jpg
http://www.seapicture.com/data/500/medium/IMG_6814.jpg

JohnnyAirtime
02-26-2012, 08:21 PM
looks like the dreaded "white spot disease"... or, ICH (Ichthyophthirius multifiliis)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichthyophthirius_multifiliis

... can come from many things, and much to the reason why most Quarantine (QT) their fish before placing in the tank. There's so much to read on ich... it's overwhelming. There's many small things to do to the tank to help rid the fish of ich... but, in your case... I'd take the fish out and treat (since your tank is so small, and not too many inhabitants yet). And then treat the tank ... by way of removing all ich carriers for a period of 6 to 8 weeks (no fish or carriers for that long should be introduced!). ...but, like I said... you can go MANY different ways with this.

There's no "check" you can do to see if the tank has, or doesn't have ich.

slicktoppomp
02-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Looks like it could be ich on that fish.

Jarederaj
02-26-2012, 08:36 PM
think about getting a uv sterilizer epically if you are putting tap water into your tank. my fish used to always get it until I stopped in petsmart and got one..

JohnnyAirtime
02-26-2012, 08:39 PM
think about getting a uv sterilizer epically if you are putting tap water into your tank. my fish used to always get it until I stopped in petsmart and got one..

Ya, they help with some parasites/algaes... but, it depends on who you ask, if they are beneficial or not. I use them, and always have (meaning, I believe in them)... and have a 36W on my 240.

Photobug; You interested, I've got a 9W here at the house for $40 (rated for up to 50gal)

Photobug
02-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Photobug; You interested, I've got a 9W here at the house for $40 (rated for up to 50gal)

What time you available tomorrow?

Here is my list of tank inhabitants:
Damsel
2 bottom/cave dwelling gobies
Yellow line Goby
6 hermit crabs
12 snails (3 type)
Crab
Brittle Star
Fire Fish (haven’t seen today)
Snowflake Moray (haven’t seen today)
Mushrooms and some other small hardy soft coral

I am thinking of doing the temp raise method of eradicating the ich. I don't think the invertebrates could handle any chemicals. I do not have a second tank to quarantine anything before going into the tank or now that one fish is sick. I am afraid something else is wrong with the tank, with the quick death of the Mandarin Goby and now the missing file fish and moray.

A little history of the tank. Wife bought the tank on Monday, it was a year old at that time. She broke the Fluval priming pump on setup and replaced it with a big Marineland C360 canister filter, using the established filter media from the Fluval. 3/4 of the water was original during the move, topped off with purified water mixed with a salt mix. We added 20 lbs of rock, the Mandarin goby and some invertebrates on Wednesday. I added a used protein skimmer on Thursday and topped off with 3 gallons of Scripps water.

Today was the first sign of trouble we saw besides the short lived Mandarin Goby. We are testing the water using a Tetra Easystrips It tests: Nitrate, Nitrite, Alkalinity and Ph, and testing the salinity via specific gravity. Is there something more we should be doing?

Jarederaj
02-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Hey just make sure the snowflake didnt jump out mine did that and died

Photobug
02-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Hey just make sure the snowflake didnt jump out mine did that and died

Had a cow fish in a 10 gallon tank 20 years ago do that. Sucks.

JohnnyAirtime
02-26-2012, 11:58 PM
What time you available tomorrow?.........

Best would be somewhere around 2:30. But, can be available almost anytime. Need my cell number again to confirm?

And... for the rest of the questions/concerns, I'm at a bit of a "what to do" standoff. If I had to guess, I'd say there's something going on with the (old/new) filtration, old sand/water, and how it was setup. BUT... that's just a huge guess at the moment, and nothing scientific about it. Your tests... you didn't give what they measured. Best to get a salifert kit, and test ammonia, on top of what your testing for (using the salifert). Soon, you'll need Magnesium, and other tests to add to the mix. But strips... aren't very accurate, and should only be used for MAJOR swings in parameters.

This is a great read to understand where you should be AND what to test for; http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Snowflakes need a TIGHT lid. I mean, not a 1/4" gap anywhere. Not around pipes... skimmer... nothing. I thought mine was sealed pretty well and my snowflake got out twice. Once... on the kitchen floor for 2hrs and survived. Second time, 2 days before my dog smelt'em and I noticed him missing (as they often can/will hide out)

Maybe there's nothing wrong, and your livestock is just stressed from the newest additions. It happens. Sometimes you won't see a fish for a few days once new livestock is added, and once that fish knows it's not in danger. But, you won't know until you accurately test your water (you can also take it to a local fish store for testing). I'd start there, first.

Photobug
03-21-2012, 12:02 PM
One month and $100s later here is our tank. Loving it and don't turn on the TV as much nowadays but we have filled it to the rim and now are looking for a 40 long to keep pouring money into.

http://www.seapicture.com/data/500/medium/IMG_7300.jpg

JohnnyAirtime
03-21-2012, 12:06 PM
I am thinking of doing the temp raise method of eradicating the ich. I don't think the invertebrates could handle any chemicals. I do not have a second tank to quarantine anything before going into the tank or now that one fish is sick. ...........

Temp raising for ich only works in Fresh water.... not saltwater.
... even though some believe it's snake oil, Kick-Ich is about the only thing that has helped (not a cure all) for my Reef tanks.

I just lost $300 in fish in my FOWLR from not QT'ing fish. Guess what I'm doing now?! Spending more $$ on another tank JUST for QT'ing my fish (I know better, and always have known better... just too lazy to build a nice QT. Now I'm paying for it!)
... on top of that, I'll have to leave my FOWLR empty of fish for 8weeks to kill off the ich. Sucks.

JohnnyAirtime
03-21-2012, 12:08 PM
One month and $100s later here is our tank. Loving it and don't turn on the TV as much nowadays but we have filled it to the rim and now are looking for a 40 long to keep pouring money into.

http://www.seapicture.com/data/500/medium/IMG_7300.jpg

Very nice. Never heard back from your past problems. Get them all sorted out??

... why go 40, when you can go 125? Much more fun!!! :D

Photobug
03-22-2012, 03:47 AM
Very nice. Never heard back from your past problems. Get them all sorted out??

... why go 40, when you can go 125? Much more fun!!! :D

The eel returned, but the firefish did not. We got a hospital tank going but could not get the goby out. The the goby disappeared. So the eel lives in the 10 gallon tank, waiting for the 15 gallon tank to cycle for his new temporary home. The fish population of our tank though has changed. Only one original goby, now joined by two clowns, lots of coral, 5 types of crab, a shrimp, a conch, 4 types of snails, and who knows what else, some very small creatures maybe pods and might have spotted a bristle worm the other day.

The $300 FOWLR SNAFU, do you mean the predator tank you were working on? What happened with it, Ich or something else?