PDA

View Full Version : site viewing

spietek2
02-01-2012, 08:09 PM
why did it change to you have to be registered to view the site? I can't log onto any sites at work. Before I would browse the site and if there was something I liked I would have to log onto my phone. Now I can't browse. WEAK sauce.

Vince
02-01-2012, 08:12 PM
why did it change to you have to be registered to view the site? I can't log onto any sites at work. Before I would browse the site and if there was something I liked I would have to log onto my phone. Now I can't browse. WEAK sauce.

Chat is the only thing limited to premium members-- if you are have troubles please pm Admin..

BajaReefs
02-01-2012, 08:15 PM

clear the cookies after you get blocked :2cents:

spietek2
02-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Nope. Log out. Look around the site. You get 5 post views then it blocks you.

saltwater760
02-01-2012, 08:40 PM
This is true sometimes my phone or comp won't log in a makes me type in my pw

spietek2
02-01-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm not talking about logging in. I understand I am unable to log in because of preferences set by the admin of the company. I'm talking about if you're not logged in (in my case I am unable to log in at work) you can only view 5 posts before you can no longer view any posts.

reefer38
02-01-2012, 09:39 PM
yeah this is totally true. i logged out, looked at about 5 posts and it gave me this message,
"Hey there!

It appears that you've exceeded the maximum number of posts you can view, but wait, there's a simple solution. To unlock the forum and continue viewing messages, all you need to do is sign up for a free account. The entire process takes just a few minutes so create your account now and view as many threads as you like!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message."

i think that we should let people check out the site alittle bit more to decide if they want to become a member or not. i personally checked out SDR as a guest for about two weeks or so before i joined. it might slow the site down if we overload the server with excess profiles that people will set up to check out the site, might only use it for a week and then forgotten about and never used again. IMO

jt_milstead
02-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Sounds like a work filter...

spietek2
02-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Did you log out and try it on your home computer?

reefer38
02-01-2012, 09:45 PM
im on my laptop at home and it gave me the message

saltwater760
02-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Same thing I'm talking about can't browse more than a few things than done lock out

jschnepf
02-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Does the same thing to me.

ironcross
02-01-2012, 10:03 PM
same here

specvjeff
02-02-2012, 12:00 AM
That is extremely common with forums. It's to encourage people to register. I can think of a few large forums reef and non reef related that do this.

Octoman4
02-02-2012, 06:19 AM
all my forums (Reefing/Auto/Guns/Dirtbike) I visit dont require you to have to register to look at threads just if you want to post....and 90% let you chat in the chat box if they have that function with out being a premium...my 2 cents

Yolo
02-02-2012, 08:43 AM
As this Forum becomes more active and popular, thus the search engines latch onto more content...and it gets pushed out into the unknown www. We had quite a few Unknown Guests from who knows where in the world reading EVERYTHING every member published with no idea of their IP Address, email, or anything.

By engaging the users in a forced registration policy, at least we all know something about the person and that they are somewhat sincere with their intent.

As far as Web Filters at work. My work filters out my PM Box for some reason. At times, it filters out the Chat Features depending on the connection. It does not ever keep me from logging in. I can't see that feature being enforced as how could if differentiate from a Bank Account login, etc.

Are you checking the "Remember me" Checkbox near your username and password?

This site has been formally managed a mere 120 days now with a lot of changes occuring in a short amount of time. We want to get a "Focus Group" put together and see what works, what doesn't etc and manage the site to a benefit for them all.

At any time, please email us at webmaster@sandiegoreefs.com with suggestions or comments and I will send you my phone number to talk.

We will definitely look into this.

Thanks

Mike