PDA

View Full Version : February 2012 - Squareback Anthias (Pseudoanthias pleurotaenia)

jt_milstead
02-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Squareback Anthias (Pseudoanthias pleurotaenia)

Due to its unique color variation, the Squareback Anthias is also known as the Squarespot, Purple Blotch Basslet, Squareblock, Square, or Mirror Anthias. The body of the female is predominantly yellow with a lavender belly, and often a thin blue line extending from nose to pectoral fin. Males are predominantly pink with a lavender belly and have a lighter rectangular shape on the side.

This variety of Anthias does best in an aquarium with low, indirect lighting or its brilliant colors will fade. Although preferring to remain at the mid-tank level, they have been found at depths up to 600 feet in the wild. A 25 gallon tank will suffice for one fish, however, if keeping a group, a 125 gallon tank should be used since the Squareback Anthias appreciates plenty of room to swim.

Anthias species all share the trait of being hermaphroditic. If a dominant male perishes, the largest female of the group will often morph to take its place. This Anthias does best when fed twice a day and does well on a diet of baby live bearers, frozen and live brine shrimp, and sometimes will eat flake food.

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii479/jt_milstead/Square1.jpg

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii479/jt_milstead/square3.jpg

Brian_reefragr
02-01-2012, 09:16 AM
I love Anthias!

AFUreef
02-01-2012, 09:25 AM
I love Anthias!
Me too! Upgrade is gonna be full of them!

bpro32
02-01-2012, 10:10 AM
This variety of Anthias does best in an aquarium with low, indirect lighting or its brilliant colors will fade.

Good to know this, I had no idea.

Yolo
02-01-2012, 10:23 AM
That is "Larry" who was named after being a Larytail when he as actually not but another variety of Anthia...LOL

Anyone know what his girlfriend, or a female version should look like. Picked that fish from a SDreefer breaking down his tank, very nice, large, active specimen that loves frozen, fresh food rather than pellets or flakes. Always out there right out front at feeding time.