PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone

zdirtyism
01-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Hi everyone, the name is Zander, I'm very brand new to forums and to the reef tank scene. I have had fresh water tanks in the past, but just as a family pet. My brother has a reef tank and has encouraged me to go on this site and to check out the forums to get started. Very inspired from what I have see from other peoples profiles and tanks.

What should I look for when starting a new tank, I was thinking about getting a full used set up or one on craigslist (for example) to get jump started. Any thoughts.

jt_milstead
01-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Welcome to SanDiegoreefs Zander. Go as big as you can afford or that you feel you can handle. This hobby turns into an addiction, and youll upgrade soon.....

jessegarcia28
01-05-2012, 07:50 AM
^^^^^+1
& Welcome to SDReefs

zdirtyism
01-05-2012, 07:51 AM
This hobby turns into an addiction, and youll upgrade soon.....

That is exactly what my brother told me and what he wants to do. Thank you for the greeting. I have lots of questions, but was wondering if you could recommend me to a site or youtube video that shows what brands to get/not get, I know it takes time to start up but I really just want jump into it haha =D

zdirtyism
01-05-2012, 07:55 AM
^^^^^+1
& Welcome to SDReefs

Thank you. You definetly have a cool/clean tank (45 AIO Shallow Reef), Im still thinking about what theme and set up should be. What kind of lighting do you use and how high is it suspended?

H4Rk3R
01-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Welcome to SDreefs. You should get as big as you can house right away. I started out with a small hex tank and ended up moving to a 55g then finished up to a 150g (and I still want bigger, but the room will not accept it =P). If you can afford it and your tank is big enough, I prefer LED setups. However, T5 setups are initially cheaper and have a proven track record (as long as you keep up with bulb changes).

Brian_reefragr
01-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Welcome to SDR. You may want to look in the equipment section here for used tank/equipment, you can generally save a ton of money there. Goody has a 90 gal with stand and hood for $100 right now, which is a smoking deal! Marine depot has a bunch of info for people, as well as reef central or reef 2 reef. Good luck, and go big or you will be upgrading within the 1st year, IMO.

naso tang
01-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Welcome to SDR. You may want to look in the equipment section here for used tank/equipment, you can generally save a ton of money there. Goody has a 90 gal with stand and hood for $100 right now, which is a smoking deal! Marine depot has a bunch of info for people, as well as reef central or reef 2 reef. Good luck, and go big or you will be upgrading within the 1st year, IMO.

no doubt on the go big. I got back in 3 years ago, and I think I'm on like upgrade #6 and I'm still only at 75G!!! Welcome to the obsession!!! It's healthier than some, but not the cheapest!!

LIJITROY
01-05-2012, 11:01 PM
lol jsut remember we need to make sure it fits into the room we have :)
thanks brother :')

RDubzz
01-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Sup Zander! haha didnt know your looking for a tank