PDA

View Full Version : Return Pump

Mike A
01-03-2012, 07:16 PM
What is the quietest submersible pump for 130g with 5' of head loss for my sump, and how should it properly be plumed? PVC? flex tubbing? ballvalves? checkvalves? unions? Bulkhead for the return line is 1"

bpro32
01-03-2012, 07:19 PM
How much flow do you want going through your sump? Some people like 3-5x tank turnover and others prefer 10x+. If you tell us your preference we can help you out.

Mike A
01-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Enough flow to keep everything alive.lol The drain pipe is 1 1/2" and the skimmer box was custom made and im not sure what it can handle,Im still new to the hobbie so im not sure what turnover rate is acceptable. The flow in the display tank seem's very good with the 6000 running wide open and the 2x Koralia power heads. With the headloss of just over 5' im getting roughly 1097gph. Where the tank is located in the house, its the humming of the pump that im trying to eliminate. ive insulated the pipe, and have it so the pump is in the sump not touching anything its just hanging about 1" above the sump floor

ensiferum321
01-03-2012, 07:55 PM
This. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS431US432&q=eheim+1262&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16239047713533411959&sa=X&ei=iM0DT5XZEKqbiAKNwvjSDg&ved=0CEYQ8wIwAQ

surfnsd
01-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Yup the Eheim 1262 is my personal choice. Ive got one on my 120 and its completely silent externally (and I still have no doors on my stand). I had a 1260 on my 80 in the sump and it never made a sound and worked flawlessly for over a year.

h20poloman
01-03-2012, 09:46 PM
I run the oceanrunner 2500 on my 120 and it's been a great pump, extremely quite and I would say competes extremely well with eheim....basically the same thing and a little more energy efficient.

Bogg
01-03-2012, 10:45 PM
1.Laguna max flo 1500
2. Eheim 1260

Trickman2
01-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Eheim or a ampmaster pump. depending on how much power you want

SDguy
01-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Tunze makes a nice one too, just not sure if it provides enough GPH for you.

jt_milstead
01-09-2012, 07:58 AM
I agree with Marlin about the Ocean Runner, but they recently stopped making those pumps. Id say go with the Eheim.

JohnnyAirtime
02-27-2012, 08:30 AM
What is the quietest submersible pump for 130g with 5' of head loss for my sump, and how should it properly be plumed? PVC? flex tubbing? ballvalves? checkvalves? unions? Bulkhead for the return line is 1"

You mentioned submersible, but I see some offering exterior pumps. hmmm....

I prefer Danner MAGDRIVE submersible pumps.
... there's a dude (John), who sells them on Craigs for a great price. Look up "pond pumps".

I plumb with PVC off the pump, just up to top of sump and then to black vinyl tube... the tank is PVC, from the bulkhead to the sump area where it joins up with the black vinyl tube. Makes it easier when you've got to move a pump within the sump for cleaning or adding/removing a prefilter. It's your choice or not to put a ball valve in, I would... even if you run them wide open. I also use checkvalves at my bulkheads. JUST for safety... but I don't rely on them. It's just one more precaution. I expect them to fail... so, I make sure my return lines are not too deep in the water.

Your 1" bulkhead, needs to be plumbed with a durso... 1.25 or 1.5" and I'd expand the line to the sump as well. To 1.5" for better flow and less noise. You'd be surprised what can squeeze through that 1" bulkhead opening. ;)

Trickman2
02-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Well If you want quiet you should go with the eheim. Mag is a solid pump...but not quiet by any means.

You mentioned submersible, but I see some offering exterior pumps. hmmm....

I prefer Danner MAGDRIVE submersible pumps.
... there's a dude (John), who sells them on Craigs for a great price. Look up "pond pumps".

I plumb with PVC off the pump, just up to top of sump and then to black vinyl tube... the tank is PVC, from the bulkhead to the sump area where it joins up with the black vinyl tube. Makes it easier when you've got to move a pump within the sump for cleaning or adding/removing a prefilter. It's your choice or not to put a ball valve in, I would... even if you run them wide open. I also use checkvalves at my bulkheads. JUST for safety... but I don't rely on them. It's just one more precaution. I expect them to fail... so, I make sure my return lines are not too deep in the water.

Your 1" bulkhead, needs to be plumbed with a durso... 1.25 or 1.5" and I'd expand the line to the sump as well. To 1.5" for better flow and less noise. You'd be surprised what can squeeze through that 1" bulkhead opening. ;)

JohnnyAirtime
02-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Well If you want quiet you should go with the eheim. Mag is a solid pump...but not quiet by any means.

Interesting... I'd never know my (3) Magdrives are running unless I touch the pump (to feel vibration).
... and I've got (2) MAG18s (1800gph) and (1) MAG12 (1200gph) running in my sump 24/7. Can't hear them over the water coming into the sump, whatsoever.

davocean
02-27-2012, 02:24 PM
There is an Eheim 1260 for sale or trade in EQ forum right now.
I love Eheims, very quiet pumps, run forever and minimal mainetenance required.