PDA

View Full Version : New Java Chat Room.

seareef
11-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Fellow Reefers,

We have added a new Java Chat module here @ SDReefs. We have upgraded for a number of reasons. Most of the larger forums don’t even offer a chat. The reason for this is that it’s very CPU intensive and can really slow down a site. Having a Java based client that is hosted on a remote server can resolve this problem. Plus, the Java Chat client has a ton more features.

If you are having issues with installing the client please take the following steps.

1) Enable pop-up’s on our site.
2) When asks to install the latest update for Java, say yes. If it fails, download the latest version from www.java.com (http://www.java.com)

Some corporate proxy servers will block this java client.

We will be removing ChatBox Full in the next few days.

Chad

sushibug
11-16-2011, 09:06 PM
my virus scanner went off when i tried out the java chat... do you know if theyre false positives?

seareef
11-16-2011, 09:10 PM
It's a false positive. Can you ignore it?

Yolo
11-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Chat on the MAIN PAGE is going to go away due to an impact on the bandwidth/site speed. The more people in it, the slower the site gets.

So we have a NEW CHAT Service we just purchased. It is located along the top row of tabs. Play around with it and get ready for a cutover in the next few days. There are some cool features one of which allows you to make it a pop-up box, chat with it, and still have the site open and active in the background.

Warning about using it at work. My employer blocks it, so we will be enabling a mobile chat service in the near future to still leave that option open with smartphones.

Thanks

m

Vince
11-18-2011, 10:39 PM
To the top!!! This is going to take place in the next week or so. So try it out--any ??????'s respond to the thread so Chad and Mike can fix any issues. New chat is cool and super fast--no lag. Lots of goodies to come from it as well!! Check it out guys/and Ladies.. Vince

alex28
11-18-2011, 10:47 PM
This thing seems accessible only on my pc. Will you guys fix it so it can be accessible for iPhone or iPad ?
Thanks chad and mike keep up the good work!!

specvjeff
11-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Won't work with iPhone or iPad since it's java based.

RussM
11-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Won't work with iPhone or iPad since it's java based.I think you may be thinking of Flash. The chat service will work w/ both IOS and Android devices after Mike & Chad buy the mobile device module.

Vince
11-19-2011, 10:08 AM
to the top!!!

SDguy
11-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Boooo! I'll never be able to chat while I'm at work :)

specvjeff
11-19-2011, 12:55 PM
I think you may be thinking of Flash. The chat service will work w/ both IOS and Android devices after Mike & Chad buy the mobile device module.

From what I've heard so far java won't work on iphone or ipad. Hopefully the mobile version eliminates this problem.

SanDiegoReefs
11-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Chatbox has been disabled & Mobile chat has been installed. For those that are having issues accessing the Java chat at work, please use our mobile chat.

The AddonChat Mobile Edition Module enables members using iPhones, iPod Touches, iPads, and Android (Google Phone) devices to connect to your chat room in real-time directly from their phone's built-in web browser. Mobile users don't need to download or install any software to connect to your chat room

To use mobile chat, simply browse the chat icon and click on the "AddOn Chat" button.

jt_milstead
11-22-2011, 02:21 PM
From what I've heard so far java won't work on iphone or ipad. Hopefully the mobile version eliminates this problem.
With the mobile version i was able to use java this morning.....

Yolo
11-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Worked on my Vorizen Droid this AM...still working with the vendor to see if there is a workaround for those blocked at work (like me).

Acefspds
11-22-2011, 05:17 PM
So the only way we can see the chat now is to load some other client? Is the speed restriction due to the upgraded site? Not trying to be an ass but never had problems before with the chat slowing the site down before the upgrade. Again not trying to put anything down but it is a bit annoying to have to load a client that is rather slow loading and keep more windows open just to see the chat. Again not putting anything down just giving my opinion since you guys do ask over and over what we think and how things work so that is what I am doing. I can care less if its changed since I hardly ever use the chat anyways but I have bought stuff from people in the chat just by seeing it when the forum loads. Now its just one more step just to see if there is anything interesting in the chat. Will probably kill any chance of me buying anything else from the chat box or seeing anything in the chat box since I probably will never load it.

Again do not get upset or bent out of shape. Just my honest opinion.

specvjeff
11-22-2011, 05:48 PM
The for sale section is for items and livestock for sale. Chat is just a place for people to interact or ask basic questions. The old chat box slowed the site when the traffic got up there. The new chat is much faster then the old as well.

H4Rk3R
11-23-2011, 08:02 AM
i like the new one, just that you have to have another window open for it. but hey its better without a doubt in functionality.

Yolo
11-23-2011, 08:08 AM
Still working on it ACE, this is a Proof of concept test right now. As usual, thanks for the candid feedback. LOL

Your comment: "Will probably kill any chance of me buying anything else from the chat box or seeing anything in the chat box since I probably will never load it."

Good point in your post:

The Chat Box was never intended for Sales Postings. It was designed for quick communications, brief discussions, social interaction. No Sales Activity should be occuring in there. Our bad for not posting any guidelines.

;)

reefhobby
11-23-2011, 05:34 PM
I've met people felt comfortable and bought from people because of chat
It's nice to be out with wife and check into chat now and then
I guess that won't happen anymore
I got on chat last night and seemed like less people than say last month
The new site is not simple and loads slower on my iPhone
Thanks for trying to make new changes
No offense
I guess I'll tolerate all of this till I give up
Good change happens over time I know I'll do my best to be positive about all of this
Have a great evening all

jason142
11-25-2011, 02:22 PM
I like the new chat when I am at home but I REALLY miss being able to chat when I am on watch at work, so love it some of the time and hate it the other :(

seareef
11-28-2011, 05:31 PM
I changed the port on our Java Chat to 8080. Let's see if that makes a difference for those of you that are having issues connecting at work. Let me know :)

Chad

specvjeff
11-28-2011, 05:59 PM
The country is depending on you to keep us safe Jason and you are worried about chatting on sdr during.watch..... GOOD MAN!

jason142
12-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Is it just me or does it seem that chat is not as active now that the new java version was installed? I do miss not being able to chat anymore.