PDA

View Full Version : phytoplankton culture

ninhsavestheday
05-16-2004, 12:53 AM
will scripps water work with this?

http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/phyto.shtml

GEFRANKLE
05-16-2004, 05:32 AM
I think Scripps water is filtered to get rid of all the goodies you want to raise. This also goes for the Catalena water you can get at Fish Haven. You might try a weighted 1 gallon jug (very clean like from bottled water) from the end of the Oceanside Pier.

let us know if it works,

George

ninhsavestheday
05-16-2004, 07:14 AM
is the water at the end of o-side clean?

do you think i can continue to remove half and use.. and add new water .. over and over again with out going back for the natural saltwater?

Mike N
05-16-2004, 07:33 AM
do you think i can continue to remove half and use.. and add new water .. over and over again with out going back for the natural saltwater?

Yes' that's the way that it's supposed to work.

If you are ever at Scripps and the guy is there working on the system, you can ask him to unlock the valve on the right which is unfiltered Sea Water.

GEFRANKLE
05-16-2004, 08:51 AM
If you are really worried about contamination you could buy some starter culture. Another choice would be to buy some of the phytoplankton coral food culture sold on eBay (Texas Corals sells I think. Another way to do this is to get a 48 inch flourecent lite in Home Depot and use a series of 1/2 gallon soda bottles (6 or 8) with a bubbler in each. This is how they set up rotifer feed culture for breeding clownfish. Use 1/2 of bottle 8 then fill with salt water and have it become bottle one moving each down one spot. I found all this stuff in a book on breeding clownfish that I bought. I can't seem to locate the book right now to give you the reference and sources for cultures.

hope this helps,

George

brahm
05-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by GEFRANKLE
I think Scripps water is filtered to get rid of all the goodies you want to raise. This also goes for the Catalena water you can get at Fish Haven. You might try a weighted 1 gallon jug (very clean like from bottled water) from the end of the Oceanside Pier.

let us know if it works,

George

Scripps water goes through gravel filters, the only thing that gets taken out is the big stuff, plankton ect won't get filtered.

ninhsavestheday
05-16-2004, 02:22 PM
i think im going to buy the phytoplankton coral food culture on ebay (10 $ shipped). its comes in 500ml bottles. whats the suggestion of ml used for every gallon of NSW, in order to culture phyto?

GEFRANKLE
05-16-2004, 02:59 PM
I am just guessing here but I would try about 250 ml in the 2 gallon tank filled with fresh salt water. I would light continuously and see what happens. I would avoid the miricle grow (phosphates???) unless absolutely necessary. Once the tank gets green the proceedure in the article should work going forward. I like the multiple containers idea better if you are going to need a continuous supply.

George

ninhsavestheday
05-16-2004, 03:02 PM
thanks for the help george. you helped me out a tremendous ammount.

does anybody have an cultured phyto that i can have, sorta to start me off instead of buying online. appreciate it.. thanks!

- ninh

MarLooney
05-16-2004, 03:11 PM
scripps water on the other tap without the hose in unfiltered.

ninhsavestheday
05-16-2004, 03:13 PM
isnt that one locked up?