PDA

View Full Version : Light Timers. Need some Ideas

Don Vito
05-14-2004, 09:51 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering what your using for light timers?
I know some of you are using the aquacontrollers.
Is there another cheaper way? I was thinking of just a normal Home Depot Light timer but cant seem to find a good one.
Just looking for something to turn my lights off and on.

And also would these timers at Home Depot be safe to use?

Thanks

MrKrispy
05-14-2004, 10:19 AM
I have a normal timer from HD turning on my 250W pendant. Just make sure you get the higher amperage one, 15A I think.

Don Vito
05-14-2004, 10:38 AM
I was at H. Depot on Tuesday and the only thing I saw was a 3 times a day timer with a 3 prong plug. Everything else was just a 2 prong.
The 3xday timer was nice because it was the only one with a ground plug but I didnt want that if I didnt need it.

brahm
05-14-2004, 11:31 AM
i got my at Home Depot, and or Fry's when your at Home Depot..

sdboogie
05-14-2004, 11:43 AM
I've seen a bunch of different timers on greenhouse websites. Manual ones, 3 prong, and even digital ones. Just search google.

suver569
05-14-2004, 06:05 PM
You can use a timer from HD. The one I'm going to be setting up requires some actual hard wiring, not just plugging in. I'll post a pic of what i have when I get back home.

SDMike
05-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Don Vito
Hey guys, I was wondering what your using for light timers?
I know some of you are using the aquacontrollers.
Is there another cheaper way? I was thinking of just a normal Home Depot Light timer but cant seem to find a good one.
Just looking for something to turn my lights off and on.

And also would these timers at Home Depot be safe to use?

Thanks

I went to the Habor Freight store in San Marcos and piced up a few dual plug timers. They seem to do OK. As an added bonus, they have two 3-prong outlets and can be set in increments of 15min.

IIRC, they were $5.

HTH,

M

RamFan
05-15-2004, 08:01 PM
I use appliance timers with no problem they can handle the load

triggerSD
05-15-2004, 10:02 PM
I am using a heavy duty water heater timer from home depot. You have to wire the light into it but it works really well. I think it was $50.